Is there anything else like House of Leaves?

dbcooper

I read House or Leaves a while ago and every now and then I still think about it. The mysteries, the tension, the.. creepiness. I think it's one of the only books to ever give me a fright.

I've done a lot of looking around for something of a similar caliber and have failed to find anything. So I ask the question here, is there another book out there which could scratch an itch the way HoL does? What else is as equally haunting and captivating?

(Over/under on how many posts until a Stanek rec?)

I read House or Leaves a while ago and every now and then I still think about it. The mysteries, the tension, the.. creepiness. I think it's one of the only books to ever give me a fright.

I've done a lot of looking around for something of a similar caliber and have failed to find anything. So I ask the question here, is there another book out there which could scratch an itch the way HoL does? What else is as equally haunting and captivating?

(Over/under on how many posts until a Stanek rec?)

Gravity's Rainbow

Infinite Jest

I gave up on House of Leaves early on (the extended foot-noting was distracting) but I intend to try it again at some point. The concept of the interior of a house being larger than the exterior gave me the willies. Not sure if these fit your criteria, but they fall under dystopia...

The Flame Alphabet, Blueprints of the Afterlife, The Demi-Monde (series), and the John Dies at the End books (if they weren't so funny they would be terrifying.

House of Leaves is pretty cool. I'm a big fan of it.

That said, there's a lot of other work out there that play with page space, narratives, etc. Give Brendan Connell a chance - his later work like the Architech and the Matanatural Adventures of Dr. Black - and Jeff VanderMeer's early Ambregris work are worth a go. Also, perhaps, Alan Moore's novel, Voice of the Fire, which is totally excellent. But that said, you won't go wrong with work from the Oulipo movement from the 60s and 70s, which feature authors like Italo Calvino and Georges Perec. In fact, the latter's A Void, is perhaps a good place to start.

Archived