The Kingsguard that Robert should have picked

James Steller

Cersei didnt marry Robert till 284, a year after the war had ended. Sending Jaime angers Tywin who is in a position to challenge it.

The Reach, while loyalists, were never diehard. And some would simply jump at the opportunity to regain some of their lands and prestige. Look at the Crownland Houses who supported Stannis, its unlikely that they cared who Joffreys real father was but wanted the opportunity to become important again after their influence had diminished.

Jon and Robert wanted Westeros as one kingdom to continue and in the aftermath of 283 pissing of Tywin by sending his beloved son to the Wall was not the way to do it.

Robert had 3x as many soldiers as Tywin did at KL. Tywin couldn't do anything.

Robert had 3x as many soldiers as Tywin did at KL. Tywin couldn't do anything.

And if he tried, then he and over 10,000 Lannisters die. The Westerlands is put in the hands of Tyrion and/or Kevan. They'd be in little position to make demands when so many of their best troops and their powerful liege lord are dead.

Kingsguard is an option, and to some extent a honour yeah, however you can't force people into the KG. Giving up home, wives, titles etc. maybe the blackfish might have taken it as he always remained unwed but why would he neccesarily want to give up his life to go live in kings landing.

IMO I don't think the original Roberts KG are too bad really. With the exception of Blount. unfortunately they end up in a position sometimes where they are damned if they obey damned if they don't. Trant agreeing to hit Sansa or capture arya is no different then aerys Kingsgaurd overlooking him raping his wife or executing prisoners without trial.

The only one I would have really been against was jaime. His refusal to explain aerys death made it look far too much a case of him not wanting to die against Roberts forces.

I think this could've been a great opportunity for Robert to appease the major houses. Now we cannot know if these people would have accepted, but the smart thing to do would have been to have

Barristan (stormlands)

Jaime (westerlands)

Oberyn Martell (dorne)

Bryndyn Blackfish Tully (riverlands)

Robett Glover (north)

Victarion Greyjoy (iron islands)

Garth "Greysteel" Hightower (reach)

Each major lord would be proud to have a family member or bannerman's family member as part of the kings guard.

By choosing Jon Arryn from the Vale he filled all the major regions, representing a unified kingdom.

Oberyn Martell and Victarion Greyjoy? Seriously? They would never live in celibacy, especially Oberyn with his Sand Snakes. And both of them are way to high in rank to join the KG. It's mostly secondary or even minor Houses that join the KG to gain praise and honor.

Edit: Of course the Blackfish is from a great house too, but there the lordship will pass directly to Edmure, so he is free.

I am one that doesn't favor the Blackfish for this job. He could have been a fine Kingsguard, but his qualifications favor him for other jobs, too. Plus, IMO, the knights of the Kingsguard should join when still young, in their 20s would be a good age.

Among the Dornishmen, Ser Archibald Yronwood comes to mind, but a Dornishman might have been ill suited for the job at the time.

Lyn Corbray, and one of the Royces would have been my choice from the Vale. Considering that Addam Marbrand is about the same age as Jaime, then he would have been a fine choice, unless he is Damon's only son.

Up until the Hound, no man has joined the Kingsguard who wasn't a knight, so that limits choices from the North, though Robert could have easily knighted any Northman who was willing to allow himself to be knighted. Still, Ser Marlon Manderly, or even Ser Rodrik Cassel (though maybe too old) might have been a choice. And if there was room in the Kingsguard after the Greyjoy Rebellion, then Jorah would have made an excellent choice - keep him out of trouble with women, and House Mormont ended up being ran by women anyways. And of course, Ned could have said that he knew this guy (not a knight, and small of stature) who helped him kill the deadliest knight in Westeros.

And I second Garth Greysteel as a possible choice.

I see your point, but I think he would have made a great successor of Barristan Selmy as LC. And because he refuses to marry this job seems well suited.

Well, Howland Reed wouldn't join the KG, he's a lord and his heir doesn't seem fit to rule yet. Jojen is like what, 14/15 years old?

Kingsguard is an option, and to some extent a honour yeah, however you can't force people into the KG. Giving up home, wives, titles etc. maybe the blackfish might have taken it as he always remained unwed but why would he neccesarily want to give up his life to go live in kings landing.

IMO I don't think the original Roberts KG are too bad really. With the exception of Blount. unfortunately they end up in a position sometimes where they are damned if they obey damned if they don't. Trant agreeing to hit Sansa or capture arya is no different then aerys Kingsgaurd overlooking him raping his wife or executing prisoners without trial.

The only one I would have really been against was jaime. His refusal to explain aerys death made it look far too much a case of him not wanting to die against Roberts forces.

Even Preston Greenfield seems to have been deadly. An asshole, but a good fighter

“You should try to kill them more thoroughly.” Tyrion pushed past. Ser Alliser made to grab his sleeve, but Preston Greenfield thrust him back. “No closer, ser.”

Thorne knew better than to challenge a knight of the Kingsguard. “You are a fool, Imp,” he shouted at Tyrion’s back.

Archived