Khal Drogo vs. Khal Drogo in full plate armour

Hagorn Icebeard

The pillow wins.

LOL!

GRRM does this to wonderful affect so many times. He reverses tropes & expectations or takes away a character's greatest strength and examines the aftereffects.

Jaime loses swordhand, Theon loses cock, Cersie's walkofshame, Loras' melted face, Ned's honor causing his death, Bran the climber losing his legs, etc etc etc.

Drogo, the unbeatable warrior, killed by an infected booboo & a pillow.

So Drogo is a very skilful and strong fighter with great speed. But what if he fought himself (it sounds really legit, I know) in full plate armour? That would slow him down but give protection from hits. After all, Arakh doesn't have good penetrating ability. But if Drogo's advantage in fights comes from his speed, couldn't he just go behind and attack from there? What do you think, who wins?

First...welcome to the forums.

Second...are we even trying any more?

Who's better a Hide-n-seek? Ashara Dayne or Wenda the White Fawn? Benjen Stark or Nettles?

Who has the bigger member? Tormund or Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun?

Who lost their head more admirably? Eddard Stark or Rickard Karstark?

What is a better evening sipping wine (regardless of the dinner served)? Doña Paula Malbec or Ecco Domani 2011 Pinot Grigio?

LOL!

GRRM does this to wonderful affect so many times. He reverses tropes & expectations or takes away a character's greatest strength and examines the aftereffects.

Jaime loses swordhand, Theon loses cock, Cersie's walkofshame, Loras' melted face, Ned's honor causing his death, Bran the climber losing his legs, etc etc etc.

Drogo, the unbeatable warrior, killed by an infected booboo & a pillow.

And yet most of the people are seriously expecting glorious deaths for their characters.

Who would win a fight to the death, gregor clegane or hot pie? These threads are bs and they need to stop, you guys are seriously bored.

Hot Pie. Clegane ruins his latest baking creation, causing Hot Pie to rush him screaming and attack like he's insane. Clegane is so surprised by this fat little kid doing so that he forgets that said kid also has a sword and doesn't bother blocking it.

True story :cool4:

First...welcome to the forums.

Second...are we even trying any more?

Who's better a Hide-n-seek? Ashara Dayne or Wenda the White Fawn? Benjen Stark or Nettles?

Who has the bigger member? Tormund or Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun?

Who lost their head more admirably? Eddard Stark or Rickard Karstark?

What is a better evening sipping wine (regardless of the dinner served)? Doña Paula Malbec or Ecco Domani 2011 Pinot Grigio?

You can not welcome me to the forums on my every post, you know. Hah!

It's an optimization problem. Give your Drogo a breastplate and a half helm and he would be at a tremendous advantage over no-armor Drogo. Give him a backplate, gauntlets and grieves and you might compromise his speed and endurance, but if it buys him an extra life or 2 it may be worth it. By the time you dress him up in a full suit of armor, he's Vardis Egen chasing Bronn in circles until your boy is too pooped to fight and his foe is not.

The correct amount of armor to give your Drogo the best odds is called the optimal point, or an economist might call it the point of diminishing returns.

It's an optimization problem. Give your Drogo a breastplate and a half helm and he would be at a tremendous advantage over no-armor Drogo. Give him a backplate, gauntlets and grieves and you might compromise his speed and endurance, but if it buys him an extra life or 2 it may be worth it. By the time you dress him up in a full suit of armor, he's Vardis Egen chasing Bronn in circles until your boy is too pooped to fight and his foe is not.

The correct amount of armor to give your Drogo the best odds is called the optimal point, or an economist might call it the point of diminishing returns.

This is what I had in mind when creating this topic. Drogo's personality and fighting style must be count.

Eh, you seem to assume the optimal protection for someone like Drogo is somewhere before "perfect" protection. As far as all these topic on armors have taught me it is that it's better to have full armor and Vardis Egen is example of falling statues and ceremonial swords. Drogo would be best off with whole plate mail. You can still do all sorts of acrobatics with those. Though I guess it's better for Drogo to have some armor than none, but having all the armor is better than some.

Eh, you seem to assume the optimal protection for someone like Drogo is somewhere before "perfect" protection. As far as all these topic on armors have taught me it is that it's better to have full armor and Vardis Egen is example of falling statues and ceremonial swords. Drogo would be best off with whole plate mail. You can still do all sorts of acrobatics with those. Though I guess it's better for Drogo to have some armor than none, but having all the armor is better than some.

I couldn't say where the point of diminishing returns is, but it has to exist. If all of Drogo's armor were 1/2 inch (12mm) thick, the difference in protection would be negligible, but Drogo's athleticism would certainly be affected. A bigger man in good condition can carry more weight at full speed without getting tired.

I wouldn't be very spry with 50 lb (~22 kg) of steel strapped to my person.

I couldn't say where the point of diminishing returns is, but it has to exist. If all of Drogo's armor were 1/2 inch (12mm) thick, the difference in protection would be negligible, but Drogo's athleticism would certainly be affected. A bigger man in good condition can carry more weight at full speed without getting tired.

I wouldn't be very spry with 50 lb (~22 kg) of steel strapped to my person.

Well of course if we started unnecessarily adding more inches for the armor Drogo uses, then that would of course lead to suboptimal performance. The weight of an armor, which is around 22kg as you said, does not hinder one's actions too much. So I would argue against you not being very spry with 22kg on you even weighted around your body if you are in decent shape. You can be decently spry with a lot more weight on you with modern military gear, and that's way more concentrated on your upper body. So I don't really see how having full plate is any worse than having parts of it on vis-a-vis dexterity and stamina. If you start adding unnecessary steel blocks on the fighter's back beside that, then I could see your point :P

Archived