Season 5 trailer discussion (book spoilers)

Maid So Fair

It seems as though Varys has been (secretly) supporting the Targayens since the beginning, especially with Varys speaking to Illyrio beneath the red keep where Arya overhears them talking about Drogo, Viserys and Daenerys in Season 1. So saying Varys supporting Daenerys is out of the blue may not be entirely true. (I rhymed right there lol)

The attempted assassination with the wine merchant created by Varys could of been meant to fail. Varys could of even suspected that Jorah would foil the attempt to begin with. You never know with the Spider, he could of even told Jorah in the beginning to make sure it failed but also keep going on as a spy so that he could also get his pardon. It also seems like nobody in the capital knew Daenerys survived the attempt on her life until she was in Qarth. Nobody in the Capital mentioned Daenerys again until Varys brought her up to Tyrion before Blackwater. Which could also point to Varys knowing that the assassination attempt was going to fail the entire time. Or that scene was just meant as some clever foreshadowing for future events. (Daenerys eventually being who Varys convinces Tyrion to join)

Yeah, that one has been buggin me a lot. The logic conclusion for me is that the attempt was true after all, and Varys was willing to sacrifice Danny because he could still rely on Viserys back then. In the scene beneath the Red Keep, he stresses to Illyro the necessity of moving fast and setting things into motion. They couldn't influence Drogo very much, so murdering Danny in Robert's name was an effective way to manipulate him into giving Viserys an army. In the books makes sense, at first Danny is jut a way to give Viserys an army, no one expects her to survive and hatch three dragons; and Viserys is just a way to start the invasion and crown Aegon, no one wants Viserys to rule. He also doesn't seem to be rooting much for Danny; but if he can give Griff an army and dragons by marriying them so be it. If not they're not gonna sit around waiting for the little queen to show up.

In the show tho, seems kinda weak to sacrifice Danny just for the benefit of the fool Viserys or for keeping Robert unsuspecting. And even weaker that he quickly changes sides and suddenly is Danny's biggest supporter in Westeros. So yeah, it's natural that people are confused now and don't know what to think about the murder attempt. Unless it was a fake Danny would strike Varys head off in a hearbeat, right?

I hope we get some explanation to this, maybe Varys lefts Tryion in Volantis and states that the queen would not receive him very well because he was willing to kill her and her son in the past. Or maybe he gets before Danny and confesses that it was a fake attempt, staged to test Jorah's loyalties. If the attempt was a feign and Jorah knew; he'll just tell Danny and avoid being exiled. But why would Varys send Tywin's fake pardon after once Jorah has proven himself trustworthy? Either I'm missing something big, or without Griff the show has written itself into a hole here...

Yeah, that one has been buggin me a lot. The logic conclusion for me is that the attempt was true after all, and Varys was willing to sacrifice Danny because he could still rely on Viserys back then. In the scene beneath the Red Keep, he stresses to Illyro the necessity of moving fast and setting things into motion. They couldn't influence Drogo very much, so murdering Danny in Robert's name was an effective way to manipulate him into giving Viserys an army. In the books makes sense, at first Danny is jut a way to give Viserys an army, no one expects her to survive and hatch three dragons; and Viserys is just a way to start the invasion and crown Aegon, no one wants Viserys to rule. He also doesn't seem to be rooting much for Danny; but if he can give Griff an army and dragons by marriying them so be it. If not they're not gonna sit around waiting for the little queen to show up.

In the show tho, seems kinda weak to sacrifice Danny just for the benefit of the fool Viserys or for keeping Robert unsuspecting. And even weaker that he quickly changes sides and suddenly is Danny's biggest supporter in Westeros. So yeah, it's natural that people are confused now and don't know what to think about the murder attempt. Unless it was a fake Danny would strike Varys head off in a hearbeat, right?

I hope we get some explanation to this, maybe Varys lefts Tryion in Volantis and states that the queen would not receive him very well because he was willing to kill her and her son in the past. Or maybe he gets before Danny and confesses that it was a fake attempt, staged to test Jorah's loyalties. If the attempt was a feign and Jorah knew; he'll just tell Danny and avoid being exiled. But why would Varys send Tywin's fake pardon after once Jorah has proven himself trustworthy? Either I'm missing something big, or without Griff the show has written itself into a hole here...

The Aegon angle from the books makes more sense for their actions with Drogo and Dany etc. However, the Blackfyre angle and the Golden Company which are not mentioned in the show complete the backstory. I suspect for the show purposes, they will not be involved at all and Varys really is on Dany's side rather than Aegon's in the book.

All signs point to no. Some people think that Trystane might fill some of his role, but that is just a theory.

Just a thought.

If Areo is still from Norvos in the show, could we expect the entire City to be of darker complexion? Meaning Doran's wife would be very dark too. Which means Trystane is a little too light to be their kid. Maybe there is something to that theory after all.

Just a thought.

If Areo is still from Norvos in the show, could we expect the entire City to be of darker complexion? Meaning Doran's wife would be very dark too. Which means Trystane is a little too light to be their kid. Maybe there is something to that theory after all.

I doubt where Areo was born will even be mentioned.

If Gendry wasn't coming back Mel would have burnt him and closed that plot.

I don't know if I agree with that fully. It seemed more to me that Gendry's last scene on GoT was more about Davos' character development than keeping any Gendry subplot going (certainly his absence for so long confirms it being less about Gendry and more about the Davos/Stannis/Melisandre dynamic). But you are certainly making a good point that Gendry can come back and fulfill a role in someone else's plotline. I doubt we'll see him this season, surely.

Gendry is to a lesser degree Lady Stoneheart. When and if he, just like LSH, become integral to someone major's plotline, we'll see him again (or in LSH's case, for the first time). They aren't just going to throw in a scene showing him rejoining the BwB, or continuously rowing...somewhere, just so we know what's up with him. As awesome as it would have been to end Season 4 with a LSH reveal, it makes less sense when you consider she wouldn't have shown up again for another season or more. Gendry is in the same boat (pun intended).

I hope they don't do some reverse Red Wedding where Sansa meets with some of the Northern lords prior to the wedding and then calls out the fake Arya before the lords capture/kill the Boltons. We need a villain in the North and I really want to see what happens after the pink letter. Yes, I know the chances are slim, but crazier things have happened.

Geef het op, hebben de meeste van ons al gedaan. :frown5:

Ben je nu bewust nederlands tegen mij aan het praten of is het toeval :D

Edit: ok I guess my username gave me away.

I have studied the trailer of season four and indeed there is a lot of episode eight footage in it.

They used the new character Oberyn to make promotion with him, as they do with the sand snakes, but Aegon is a different approach. We meet him not knowing who he is and it is fun to see Tyrion work it out.

Or they can save him for the next series.

Ben je nu bewust nederlands tegen mij aan het praten of is het toeval :D

Edit: ok I guess my username gave me away.

I have studied the trailer of season four and indeed there is a lot of episode eight footage in it.

They used the new character Oberyn to make promotion with him, as they do with the sand snakes, but Aegon is a different approach. We meet him not knowing who he is and it is fun to see Tyrion work it out.

Indeed

I would love to see the entire season end with a scene of him landing in Westeros, with him not even being seen before that... and some comment + his looks making it obvious who he's supposed to be :)

I would love to see the entire season end with a scene of him landing in Westeros, with him not even being seen before that... and some comment + his looks making it obvious who he's supposed to be :)

Give him Luke Evans's armor from the new Dracula flick. (Though the black and red might be too obvious of foreshadowing.)

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/dracula-untold-preview-luke-evans.jpg

IF they really wanted to introduce Aegon for next season, someone could drop a line in the last episode saying something about the Golden Company (which was already named in season 4) landing on Westeros headed by a boy claiming to be Aegon Targaryen.

There. I just wrote the scene introducing Aegon.

Your move, D&D.

Archived