Arianne and Jon Connington

Lord Varys

Rereading Arianne I from TWoW lately, I was wondering if it makes any sense that Arianne does not seem to know Jon Connington personally. Didn't she meet her niece Rhaenys once? Wouldn't her and Doran have been at Rhaegar and Elia's wedding? Wouldn't Jon Connington not have been there?

This is strange...

How old is Arianne? If Jon Con is significantly older, which is my impression, they wouldn't have interacted at all.

23. Six or seven years old during the Sack of KL, a year younger when JonCon was banished. Barely able to form coherent memories - if they even met. A toddler at best when Rhaegar and Elia married.

Which answers the question of the OP.

I don't think Arianne would have interacted with Jon Connington, but she would remember seeing him, or trying to remember whether she had seen him at Elia's wedding - or later, when he came to visit Elia and Rhaenys her birth.

Arianne probably visited them in Dragonstone. Jon Connington lived in KL, it seems (the book called him and the other friends of Rhaegar, "men at court" and they were often at odds with Aerys' supporters).

Also, Arianne and Jon are more than ten years apart. If she saw him, it surely was casually and barely remembers him.

I don't think Arianne would have interacted with Jon Connington, but she would remember seeing him, or trying to remember whether she had seen him at Elia's wedding - or later, when he came to visit Elia and Rhaenys her birth.

Being four or five years old at the time? How much do you remember from that age? I'm not sure I remember my own great-grandmother, meeting her the last time when I was four, much less any strangers!

JonCon may remember her. But Arianne has no chance.

Well, the thing is, even if you don't remember something directly, you try to remember a person you are interested in, if you know that this person must have been at this big event you were during your childhood.

As to Elia and Doran's possible visit on Dragonstone:

Yes, I agree that Jon Connington may not have been there, then, especially since he must also have gone back home at one time when his father died and he became Lord of Griffin's Roost.

But I'm not sure whether we can assume that Jon lived at court after Rhaegar moved to Dragonstone. I imagine that most/all of the people from 'Rhaegar's party' were with him, whereas Aerys' followers remained at KL. Of the KG, Ser Arthur most likely was always with Rhaegar, as he may have been his sworn shield, and I'd be very surprised if Prince Lewyn was not the personal protector of either Elia as Rhaegar's wife, or later of young Princess Rhaenys.

Yandel may just drawing from Pycelle's letter and painting the general scenario of that time, rather than intending to give us clues where the various people actually resided most of the time. Later on though, during the Rebellion, Aerys clearly called/dragged Elia and her children to KL, which could also explain why Jon Connington later lives there. However, we don't yet know whether he was one of Rhaegar's companions and only later returned to court, or whether the whole episode with his father occurred around that time, explaining why he may not have been one of Rhaegar's companions.

If he was, then George is clearly carefully writing around Jon's memories surrounding the whole Harrenhal and Elia incident... Which is somewhat strange, as he thinks of Elia as a bride unworthy of Rhaegar - which should result in him thinking about Lyanna, too, if he had known that the two were married (and even he did not - or they were not - he would clearly have known that Lyanna was the only other important woman in Rhaegar's life).

Vice versa, there is no textual hint that Jon Connington remembers young Arianne, when he and Haldon discuss Aegon's/Jon's possible marriage to Arianne, or is it?

That's assuming JonCon was really part of Rhaegar's inner circle of friends.

I still think he was more like a Colin Creevey/Knives Chau sort of character

IDK how much there is to support that. He squired with Rhaegar and was one of 3 squires Rhaegar had. He's really one of 4 people mentioned as a friend to Rhaegar (Lonmouth, Mooton, Connington, Dayne), in addition to being a member of the group of lordlings that followed around Rhaegar. Unless the other friends were playing a game of Mean Girls, it would appear he was indeed in the inner circle. It's not as if any of Rhaegar's squires were from super influential familes either (a la Tywin and Steffon for Aerys). Seems like they were chosen for companionship first and foremost.

Archived