[BOOK SPOILERS] Changes for Season 5

I_Might_Be_God

I don't think Daznak's Pit solves Mereen at all. I think it will originally be Dany's marriage to Hizdah just like in the books, however I think it will be the Sons of the Harpy invading to attempt to take power instead of poisoned locusts. While the fight is going on, Drogon will arrive, roast some people indescriminatingly (likely Jorah IMO), and Dany will get control of him and fly off. I don't think the Yunkai army arrives until either during this conflict or shortly thereafter, setting up the true battle of Mereen next season.

I do think Sansa will rally the vale, but I don't think you'll see them on the march this season. Just rallying the banners etc... I suppose I could see the end of the season with them ready to march on the Riverlands, but again, I don't think we'll get that battle this year.

As for the Dorne plot, I think that Bronn will be the one that dies in place of Aerys, with Jaime taking the place of Balon Swann, and Trystane taking the place of Aegon.

In King's Landing you'll have the Cersei versus Margaery struggle, resulting in the Cersei WoS.

In Braavos you'll have the HoB&W, and in Essos Tyrion will make it to Dany before she flies off. Varys I think will head back to King's Landing and kill Kevan Lannister.

In the riverlands, I do think that Brienne will meet LSH, but I think it will be Oona Chaplain playing the role instead of Catelyn.

At the Wall, I think you'll have Jon become Lord Commander, fetch the block, and head to Hardhome (supposedly to fight the remaining wildlings). There he'll get jumped "For the Watch" just as the wight's and white walkers invade Hardhome.

Stannis I think will rally the Wildlings (and remaining Stark loyalist Northern Houses) and head south to confront the Boltons at Winterfell.

I think the Iron Island stuff will mostly be "off screen" with some reports at small council meetings, which Cersei will of course ignore.

So then Season 6 will consist of the battle of Mereen, the battle at Winterfell, the battle in the Riverlands, and Trystane's conquest, plus hopefully we'll finally meet the Greyjoy brothers.

In the riverlands, I do think that Brienne will meet LSH, but I think it will be Oona Chaplain playing the role instead of Catelyn.

I pray to all the gods, the old, the new, the Drowned God and even the Black Goat of Qohor that's not true. I want to see LSH in the show, but I want to see her as LSH. I don't like the idea of Sansa Lemonheart nor Talisa Buttheart at all. I'd rather they cut the character completely.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said.

I pray to all the gods, the old, the new, the Drowned God and even the Black Goat of Qohor that's not true. I want to see LSH in the show, but I want to see her as LSH. I don't like the idea of Sansa Lemonheart nor Talisa Buttheart at all. I'd rather they cut the character completely.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said.

Death by lemoncakes. Love it.

If they do the LSH (is that a spoiler thing?) reveal, I'm hoping it's when they have plenty of scenes planned so they can go balls to the wall with it. They could do a really eerie buildup with that too. They need to establish the Freys as a major power a little bit better. They did them pretty well in Season 3, but their size is never really expressed that well.

I think Stoneheart is still a possibility because why would you introduce Thoros' resurrection power if it is never going to pay off? Of course, it's possible it will get used on someone else. So maybe Sansa dies and then gets resurrected? Since we don't know what the books have planned for Sansa, it's hard to guess if that plotline can be switched out.

I really think Brienne will meet up with the BWB either way, especially since Jaime's Riverlands plotline is being scratched. The Blackfish might also already be with the BWB too since they said he escaped the Red Wedding and we don't know where he goes in the books once he escapes from Riverrun.

I watched the making of documentary for the TV show and it has indicated that Jon Snow will be going to Hardhome. They've built an extremely elaborate set for Hardhome and indicated there will be an elaborate battle there. My guess is Rattleshirt stands in for Mother Mole and has taken a troop of the Wildlings to Hardhome after the defeat at the Wall to regroup. Jon will go to try to reason with them to leave because of the White Walkers and, potentially, we will get a battle between the Night's Watch (backed up by some of Stannis' men maybe) and Rattelshirt's men, which might get interrupted by an attack by the White Walkers. Rattleshirt will probably die there and they might skip the whole "faking Mance's death" thing.

I think Stoneheart is still a possibility because why would you introduce Thoros' resurrection power if it is never going to pay off? Of course, it's possible it will get used on someone else. So maybe Sansa dies and then gets resurrected? Since we don't know what the books have planned for Sansa, it's hard to guess if that plotline can be switched out.

Mel met Thoros. Mel will be at the Wall in case anyone keels overs.

Interesting observations/speculation in Elio and Linda's trailer breakdown video. Elio thinks that Sansa and Littlefinger might be traveling through the North, and speculated that LF (with Robin killed off) might be trying to marry Sansa to Ramsay in order to gain control in the North. The line "Avenge them" could be his attempt to persuade her to help him kill the Boltons once she's wed. Maybe Sansa will somehow stand in for Jeyne Poole? That would explain why the actress described one of her scenes as traumatic.

It also explains why she's wearing a "disguise" (the new hair color) even though people in the Vale already know she's Sansa Stark; because she's going back to Winterfell.

Could be a good way to tie the storylines together.

I think Stoneheart is cut in large part because the showrunners are holding the resurrection card for a more important character. Even many book readers roll their eyes at all of the resurrections and faked deaths; imagine the reaction if the show did it just ten or so episodes apart.

It sucks, because that was one of my favorite moments from the books, but it's entirely possible that her story just isn't important enough to be worked into the last 30 hours.

Interesting observations/speculation in Elio and Linda's trailer breakdown video. Elio thinks that Sansa and Littlefinger might be traveling through the North, and speculated that LF (with Robin killed off) might be trying to marry Sansa to Ramsay in order to gain control in the North. The line "Avenge them" could be his attempt to persuade her to help him kill the Boltons once she's wed. Maybe Sansa will somehow stand in for Jeyne Poole? That would explain why the actress described one of her scenes as traumatic.

It also explains why she's wearing a "disguise" (the new hair color) even though people in the Vale already know she's Sansa Stark; because she's going back to Winterfell.

A lot of people seemed to miss this but Sansa only revealed herself to the Vale lords, not everyone. She needs her disguise to move around.

Sophie had another interview where she was asked about that traumatic scene, and said that maybe she exaggerated a bit. She rated it a 6 out of 10.

Exactly, but while she can simply go by "Allayne" (or whatever other alias) in the Vale or most other places, physical disguise would only be totally necessary in places where she'd be recognized, i.e. the North (now that the Boltons are in charge) or King's Landing, right?

I don't remember if she changed her physical appearance in the books? If it didn't happen in the books, it must have been done in the show for a specific reason.

So then Season 6 will consist of the battle of Mereen, the battle at Winterfell, the battle in the Riverlands, and Trystane's conquest, plus hopefully we'll finally meet the Greyjoy brothers.

That's just wishful thinking. There's no way in hell that at the end of the season we're not spoiled on the outcomes of either or both the battles.

Dany's Meereen arc won't finish at the pit. The whole gathering of forces at Meereen's gates can be done off-camera. It can all be done with word, with a few shots to back up what's been said.

Where would be the sense of moving to Westeros when nothing has been achieved militarily? There is no way Dany can simply step onto some shoreline, somewhere on that eastern coast, and then proceed to do as she's done before? As a political liberator won't work in Westeros. It calls for different tactics.

Does anyone really see Dothraki simply accepting whatever she's got to say, all because she has one dragon? Drogon's the only one with her, while the others remain in Meereen, filling their bellies on Essos-burgers.

Dany has to get her army into shape. Does anyone really see Dany just abandoning those she leaves behind in Meereen? There must be a Battle of Fire, and that takes place at Meereen.

The Meereen arc is only half-way through when we see the incident at Danzak's Pit.

This could be next season's storyline - Dany needs to prove herself as a commander, and not because she has Drogon to ride on. Dothraki only follow a proven leader. Dany is no such thing. She knows nothing because she's learned absolutely nothing, apart from bad-ass catchphrases.

Dany needs to become a warrior, first. Command isn't automatic just because she says she's a Targaryen, therefore she must rule. Warrior Dany has to emerge. No dragon influencing outcome either.

This would be getting into material from the next book, which would become the source material for the show.

Dany's Meereen arc won't finish at the pit. The whole gathering of forces at Meereen's gates can be done off-camera. It can all be done with word, with a few shots to back up what's been said.

Where would be the sense of moving to Westeros when nothing has been achieved militarily? There is no way Dany can simply step onto some shoreline, somewhere on that eastern coast, and then proceed to do as she's done before? As a political liberator won't work in Westeros. It calls for different tactics.

Does anyone really see Dothraki simply accepting whatever she's got to say, all because she has one dragon? Drogon's the only one with her, while the others remain in Meereen, filling their bellies on Essos-burgers.

Dany has to get her army into shape. Does anyone really see Dany just abandoning those she leaves behind in Meereen? There must be a Battle of Fire, and that takes place at Meereen.

The Meereen arc is only half-way through when we see the incident at Danzak's Pit.

This could be next season's storyline - Dany needs to prove herself as a commander, and not because she has Drogon to ride on. Dothraki only follow a proven leader. Dany is no such thing. She knows nothing because she's learned absolutely nothing, apart from bad-ass catchphrases.

Dany needs to become a warrior, first. Command isn't automatic just because she says she's a Targaryen, therefore she must rule. Warrior Dany has to emerge. No dragon influencing outcome either.

This would be getting into material from the next book, which would become the source material for the show.

I understand what you're saying and this is roughly what I believe is going to happen in the books but the show doesn't have the same luxury. Dany can't stay too long in Meereen or people will start to get disinterested in her storyline, if all this stuff happens in the show that means Dany won't start heading west until the start of S7 which means 3 seasons in Meereen and 6 seasons in Essos. The show is going to end in 7 seasons so that means Dany gets to stay in Westeros for half a season.

It's just not possible, I believe half way S6 Dany needs to start moving west, maybe even earlier depending what she does once she reaches Westeros.

However I agree that the Battle won't be as heavily condensed as believed, I mean King Cleos in Astapor has already been estabilished in S4, then we know from the Facebook spoiler that Hizdahr will tell Dany that Yunkai are preparing for war, it just won't be as big as the Battle in the books. No Volantene ships, no sellsword company changing sides a 100 times, no Ironborn/Qarth/New Ghis involvement. Barristan will hopefully take command - break the siege, Tyrion will settle matters until Dany returns with the Dothraki and they will start west by early S6.

This seems incredibly likely to me... the only question is, presuming the end result does end up happening in the books, what path is taken to get there.

-Littlefinger/Sansa gain control of the Vale (through Robin death) .. will most likely be riddled with plotholes and what not but the fact that they know she's a Stark (as Elio touched on) does at least lend some credibility.

-Littlefinger (based on the interactions in the trailer) marries Sansa off to Ramsay.. or more likely he marries Alayne off to him, with the Vale is the motivating factor to the Bolton's agreeing (this makes more sense - but it still fails to legitimize his claim to Winterfell, however the show seemed to have brushed past that detail in S4E10)

-Littlefinger plays the role of Manderly, scheming behind the back of the Bolton's, while Sansa suffers through Ramsay (Theon knows it's her, which eventually causes him to still break free from Reek)

-Theon/Sansa escape to Stannis.

-LF aids Stannis in claiming Winterfell.

-LF/Sansa marry? Thus making Baelish Lord of the Vale & Warden of the North? On top of a confidant of Stannis.. who now has quite the army at his back.

This seems incredibly likely to me... the only question is, presuming the end result does end up happening in the books, what path is taken to get there.

-Littlefinger/Sansa gain control of the Vale (through Robin death) .. will most likely be riddled with plotholes and what not but the fact that they know she's a Stark (as Elio touched on) does at least lend some credibility.

-Littlefinger (based on the interactions in the trailer) marries Sansa off to Ramsay.. or more likely he marries Alayne off to him, with the Vale is the motivating factor to the Bolton's agreeing (this makes more sense - but it still fails to legitimize his claim to Winterfell, however the show seemed to have brushed past that detail in S4E10)

-Littlefinger plays the role of Manderly, scheming behind the back of the Bolton's, while Sansa suffers through Ramsay (Theon knows it's her, which eventually causes him to still break free from Reek)

-Theon/Sansa escape to Stannis.

-LF aids Stannis in claiming Winterfell.

-LF/Sansa marry? Thus making Baelish Lord of the Vale & Warden of the North? On top of a confidant of Stannis.. who now has quite the army at his back.

I don't think Show Sansa could work as a copycat of Jeyne. It would also make sense for Roose to know her - he should have gone to Winterfell on occasion (but then again, Show Sansa had never left Winterfell before traveling to King's Landing).

So, while in a Sansa at Winterfell scenario, Sansa will have to physically deal with Ramsay and that is a shitty role to have, I don't see her begging for help to Theon or getting fucked by dogs. More likely, I could see her manipulating Ramsay into, for instance, giving Myranda to the dogs. Show Sansa and Littlefinger have more of a duo than a villain and lackey relationship as in the books. So, assuming Sansa at Winterfell with Littlefinger at Winterfell as well, I could see both of them plotting and working together from different positions as they compete with each other as well ("I know what you want" "I'll have it" "No, not yet" "etc, etc").

I think a Sansa at Winterfell scenario provides better drama than the other alternatives, but we've yet to see what D&D have come up with. For all we know, her arc could be pure filler.

Exactly, but while she can simply go by "Allayne" (or whatever other alias) in the Vale or most other places, physical disguise would only be totally necessary in places where she'd be recognized, i.e. the North (now that the Boltons are in charge) or King's Landing, right?

I don't remember if she changed her physical appearance in the books? If it didn't happen in the books, it must have been done in the show for a specific reason.

She changed her looks in the books as well.

Archived