U.S. Politics - Jeb announced yet?

TerraPrime

The key question is will a Republican try to get to the left to Clinton on a few issues.

The last time that was even possible was 1976. Today, the parties are simply too polarised for that sort of manoeuvre. The Republican Primary will be a case of the contestants spouting off about how they are the true heir of Reagan, and how evil Obama and Clinton are.

The last time that was even possible was 1976. Today, the parties are simply too polarised for that sort of manoeuvre. The Republican Primary will be a case of the contestants spouting off about how they are the true heir of Reagan, and how evil Obama and Clinton are.

Drug War and Criminal Justice could be a open. Though it will really bump up to what really is Republican fetish of AUTHORITY.

I for one worry a bit about Hillary Clinton's appeal in terms of motivating those voters who usually only vote in Presidential years who seem to have been instrumental in Obama's wins. Clinton is going to swing back some blue collar White voters who wouldn't vote for Obama because of his race. She would also galvanize some women voters to get out to vote for the first woman major party candidate.

However, I think she will have a hard time motivating a lot of blue collar Black voters to stand in those long lines in states like Florida and Ohio as they did for Obama. And I also am afraid that she will be way less effective than Obama at getting younger voters (under 35 years old) to actually go to the polls. If there is a really big dropoff in Black and younger voters in swing states in 2016, there may not be enough of those blue collar Democrat racists and older feminist women to offset it.

In what alternate reality?

Beside Rand Paul you do have time that Republicans speak on need for prison or sentencing reforms. I will say it usually a one time thing but it is there.

The overall political will is probably not there but it is an area that they can get on the left of Clinton on and it could help them in a General Election

However, I think she will have a hard time motivating a lot of blue collar Black voters to stand in those long lines in states like Florida and Ohio as they did for Obama. And I also am afraid that she will be way less effective than Obama at getting younger voters (under 35 years old) to actually go to the polls.

That's where Slick Willy and Barry O giving major speeches for her on the campaign trail come in. She might not be able to motivate those people but they certainly can.

Beside Rand Paul you do have time that Republicans speak on need for prison or sentencing reforms. I will say it usually a one time thing but it is there.

The overall political will is probably not there but it is an area that they can get on the left of Clinton on and it could help them in a General Election

Mike Lee (cosponsors Cruz and Flake)

and of course, the Koch brothers have been pushing criminal justice reform for decades

Agreed. Any Republican who expects to get to the White House simply cannot afford to be seen as less conservative than any Democrat, on any issue. For example, if Barack Obama supported border security, John Boehner would come out in favor of crucifying people attempting the cross the border. If Hillary Clinton backed an abortion ban, Mitch McConnell would advocate for taking Planned Parenthood staff into a field and shooting them in the head. Hell, we saw an example of this in the 2008 Republican primary debates, in which each candidate attempted to one-up the others on just how much torture should be going on at Guantanemo.

Agreed. Any Republican who expects to get to the White House simply cannot afford to be seen as less conservative than any Democrat, on any issue. For example, if Barack Obama supported border security, John Boehner would come out in favor of crucifying people attempting the cross the border. If Hillary Clinton backed an abortion ban, Mitch McConnell would advocate for taking Planned Parenthood staff into a field and shooting them in the head. Hell, we saw an example of this in the 2008 Republican primary debates, in which each candidate attempted to one-up the others on just how much torture should be going on at Guantanemo.

If you think that than in the end you are saying the electorate in a General election is very Conservative and not just the Republican primary voters.

If you think that than in the end you are saying the electorate in a General election is very Conservative and not just the Republican primary voters.

Hmm...how about you let me say what I'm saying, yes?

I am saying that no Republican is going get to the left of any Democrat lest a primary opponent materialize and zap him/her for it. So, no, I am not saying that the general electorate is very (or even somewhat) conservative, and I am indeed asserting that GOP primary voters are the reason no Republican out-lefts a Democrat.

Hmm...how about you let me say what I'm saying, yes?

I am saying that no Republican is going get to the left of any Democrat lest a primary opponent materialize and zap him/her for it. So, no, I am not saying that the general electorate is very (or even somewhat) conservative, and I am indeed asserting that GOP primary voters are the reason no Republican out-lefts a Democrat.

There is always some reshuffling when we go Primary to General Election. Republican issue is does the candidate have to take so many far right positions that it has difficulty moderating. If the Republican can avoid it than there is a opening when they get to the general in getting to the Left of Clinton on the issues of the Drug War/Criminal Justice reform. There is plenty of interia on the Republican not to go there but the oppritunity is there.

There is always some reshuffling when we go Primary to General Election. Republican issue is does the candidate have to take so many far right positions that it has difficulty moderating. If the Republican can avoid it than there is a opening when they get to the general in getting to the Left of Clinton on the issues of the Drug War/Criminal Justice reform. There is plenty of interia on the Republican not to go there but the oppritunity is there.

I agree that both parties are moving slowly towards criminal justice reform, but there is no way a Republican who expects to win the nomination is going to get to the left of Clinton on anything. Rand Paul might, but then he's not likely to win the nomination.

Archived