Brian Williams and dirty lying liars who lie!

zelticgar

Actually I spelled it correctly. If I was talking about Batman then i would have written dirty lying liars that lie in their lairs. A liar can lie but a lair cannot lie because it is an inanimate object.

Another way to look at it is if Brian Williams was Batman. Brian Williams could lie while he is in his Lair but his lair could not lie. A lair is basically a silent symbol of badass-ness that is incapable of lying. If you cant picture Brian Williams as Batman you could picture him as a snake, groundhog, or any other animal that likes to burrow and hide in an enclosed area. The enclosed area is known as a lair. Trust me on this one I'm not a liar.

If anything, it's redundant. Since a lair that lies is already lying.

No, the redundancy would be a liar that lies is already lying (although I meant it to be ironic not redundant but i think that's kind of what makes it ironic.)

A lair is a place someone or something lays in (like a hole or the bat cave or where the Grinch or Bigfoot lives).

Temporary leave of absence. His statement is telling from the first sentence:

"I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days."

If i had been advising him i would have told him to replace the "my daily broadcast" with "NBC Nightly News". Its a subtle thing but it sounds arrogant and tone deaf. It comes off like he invented the show and owns the intellectual rights to it. Its not like he is Jon Stewart or Bill Maher or even Rachel Maddow or Bill O Reilly. Its a subtle difference but he is a steward of that show, not the creator or driver. It would be like Rosie O'Donnell saying she is taking a break from her show when referring to leaving The View.

there's a reason Media Matters has been silent on the Williams affair

Because it's essentially a non-story?

No, no it is not.

I'd say the lies that actually get people killed and destroy lives are far far more disgraceful.

This.

Despite some limited soul-searching by journalists a decade after 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq about the abject failure of the US news to engage, in a truly critical fashion, with the falsehoods peddled by the Bush administration, the current focus on an inane untruth told by one celebrity news anchor has overshadowed the bigger picture about the US media and Iraq.

The number of Iraqi citizens who have died as a direct and indirect by-product of the US invasion is enough to populate a mid-sized US city, and thousands continue to die on a monthly basis in non-imaginary attacks.

Yet, here we are, over a decade later, still discussing celebrity fantasies. That isn’t just bad journalism, it’s an affront to all who lost their lives in a brutal and bloody deception. Williams is just sorry about the wrong thing.

I believe Commodore is referring to Williams' time with the World Wide Message Tribe, commonly referred to as simply 'The Tribe'.

+1

I'm such an idiot. I always thought Williams was in A Tribe Called Quest.

True Leftist propaganda.

there's a reason Media Matters has been silent on the Williams affair

You are all so smart, and witty too! Bless your hearts. Just wanted to make sure, being that I'm a member of The Tribe. Happy you clarified your words because, you know, you wouldn't want to offend, I'm sure.

Media Matters would not cover this story because it is not part of its mission:

"Launched in May 2004, Media Matters for America put in place, for the first time, the means to systematically monitor a cross section of print, broadcast, cable, radio, and Internet media outlets for conservative misinformation - news or commentary that is not accurate, reliable, or credible and that forwards the conservative agenda - every day, in real time."

In this case the only misinformation was the details supplied by Williams, (looking down the tube of an RPG...). There is really not much to dispute because this story has been covered by a cross section of media pretty consistently.

Archived