[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

A simple look at some of Borodin's other posts will show he has a clear agenda against the show. Thats cool. Theres nothing like the internet to remind one that some people genuinely enjoy complaining. Someone complained Arya got an explanation for killing the insurance guy? Its practically identical to the books... Someone complains that Jon had plot armor in his battle at Hardhome....yes this is something completely unique to the show. Because Jon Snow surviving his capture by the Wildlings is a completely believable circumstance and not at all related to his plot armor. Shakey camera? Imperfections in the form of not knowing the exact layout of Hardhome? Are you guys serious? No...really....are you?

It is hard to say that the show has peaked not knowing what is coming in the next 2 seasons. Quality-wise, I will not argue that this season is not the quality of the previous 2. That said, anyone who ever thought it would at the quality of those 2 seasons considering the lackluster, unfilmable source material would be extremely naïve. The show was put in a very hard place based on the books and I think has managed to put out a season, that while being weaker than the previous 2, is still vastly superior than what people like Borodin want, something 100% faithful to the books.

Ratings-wise? There was going to be a peak at some point. Don't discount the fact that they introduced new ways to view the show this season and that the leaks damaged things quite a bit in terms of buzz for the show for the first half of the season. And the ratings aren't that important to HBO's model anyway, which is why you don't see them issuing anything about it.

Great entertaining episode, there is no denying that but maybe just a shade elevated due to the previous lows. I have always held the view the north and the cold always work better on TV and this is where D&D can add more material if they have to. They did a poor job thud far with COF but hoping next season when they return it will be as good as this one.

Food for thought -

1. They should have made Jon pick up the fallen WW weapon for analysis if not anything else i.e. he could use it to check weapons that can defend against it. I understand the context and the confusion at the time but the WW melted into flakes and all that remained was that awesome weapon falling to the ground.
  2. WW are supposed to be warded off by fire but this one made his hollywood appearance (it was awesome mind you) through gate of fire. This kind of slightly renders the dragons a bit useless if they aren't scared of fire in the show unlike the books right? I would actually welcome it as its too easy otherwise for the goodies.
  3. Why were the WW wearing clothes/armor? They have every right to think themselves invincibles and definitely not worry about getting too cold.
  4. I also think Olley is a red herring.

A simple look at some of Borodin's other posts will show he has a clear agenda against the show. Thats cool. Theres nothing like the internet to remind one that some people genuinely enjoy complaining. Someone complained Arya got an explanation for killing the insurance guy? Its practically identical to the books... Someone complains that Jon had plot armor in his battle at Hardhome....yes this is something completely unique to the show. Because Jon Snow surviving his capture by the Wildlings is a completely believable circumstance and not at all related to his plot armor. Shakey camera? Imperfections in the form of not knowing the exact layout of Hardhome? Are you guys serious? No...really....are you?

The complaints about Jon's plot armour for me at least, was not to do with the actual narrative. It was the fact that during his fight with the WW there were several instances where the Walker obviously had the kill and chose not to take it. Like tossing Jon aside to get to the dragonglass rather than just killing him.

Every character has plot armour right up until the author decides to take it away. Even a minor character cannot die randomly. It's the writers job to make sure that we do not notice. But during this episode Jon should have died several times. And not in the sense that he was in mortal peril but a new plot development kept him out of it. But in the sense that he was left completely open to a sword and yet was not stabbed, for no explanation.

And yes, I am going to complain about the shaky cam. Hardhome is a new location so I don't know where everything is in relation to one another. So therefore a chaotic filming style is not the best suited to this scene.

I think the objective response is we'll know if the show peaked (in corporate/audience sense) when viewers numbers for episode 9 and 10 will be released.

Before ep8 it could be said it was extremely likely that the show peaked at s5ep1, when it gathered 8 millions viewers, then it only lost audience, 1,5 million viewers, falling under previous previous season numbers, and usually for a show past his two first seasons there's no way back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones#Viewer_numbers

But after all the hype around episode 8 it's probable many will return, so it's not impossible that GoT will be close to that 8m record by the end of the season (and then beat that for s6 premiere). On the other hand if Hardhome extremely positive press and social network comments made no noticeable difference at all, it's extremely unlikely GoT will ever be on the rise again.

1. Why were the WW wearing clothes/armor? They have every right to think themselves invincibles and definitely not worry about getting too cold.

In one of Michelle Clapton's videos some time ago she mentioned that ever since Sam killed a WW with dragonglass they have started wearing pieces of armor.

1. Why were the WW wearing clothes/armor? They have every right to think themselves invincibles and definitely not worry about getting too cold.

In the novel, the Other does wear armor made of magic ice, normal human weapon can not pentrate that armor, but longsword would not break to pieces at the the first clash of the Other's weapon, that part the TV show is very different with the novel, and also in the novel, the Other mostly appears at night

A simple look at some of Borodin's other posts will show he has a clear agenda against the show. Thats cool.

I actually love the show. Look forward to it every week. It could be better, which is what criticism is for. My "clear agenda" is against decisions that make a show I really like worse. Nice try painting criticism as "show hating" though.

Imagine the ratings if D&D went off-script and had The Avengers come through a portal to help Jon Snow. So many ratings.

Would it be Avengers with or without Spider-Man? Cause no Spidey is a dealbreaker...

Well, it seems as if the ratings have recovered: http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-viewership-rises-to-7-million-with-episode-8/

And I wouldn't be too shocked to see them increase even more after the awesomeness that was Hardhome.

Should be interesting to see as normally ep 9 is the big one of the season.

Damn, I never knew the decline in viewership was that significant. From 8 million to 5,5 million.

Episode 8 might have been just the right slot for the episode, with the big epic fight that will get people talking and boost those numbers back up.

People will obviously wanna return to see what happens next week. And then it's time for the season finale, ending with the big cliffhanger.

Damn, I never knew the decline in viewership was that significant. From 8 million to 5,5 million.

Episode 8 might have been just the right slot for the episode, with the big epic fight that will get people talking and boost those numbers back up.

People will obviously wanna return to see what happens next week. And then it's time for the season finale, ending with the big cliffhanger.

It should be pretty obvious right now that the episode with 5.5 million is an anomaly. It might be due to backlash from the previous episode, which was the worst reviewed GoT in a long time (ever?), but it's probably more likely a combination of Memorial Day weekend and the Cavs-Hawks game. Either way, we're going to look back at the end of the season and see that the overall viewership is more or less the same as it was in Season 4.

Archived