[BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS] Has the show peaked?

Zyxw

There was no hype of a battle scene, so the spike isn't attributable to that either. Which is what began that discussion.

My hypothesis then might be that it was the Sansa controversy that brought people back to see what was going on 1 episode later, having skipped Mem Day. Other than that, no guesses.

My hypothesis then might be that it was the Sansa controversy that brought people back to see what was going on 1 episode later, having skipped Mem Day. Other than that, no guesses.

I agree, I don't think there is a logical reason. Maybe people went from watching it later on another day or streaming or whatever and decided (after the holiday) to go back to a Sunday night ritual with only three episodes left.

I would expect this episode to fuel next week's, but we'll see. The show has a lot to live up to in the last two episodes in a lot of viewer's minds. It'll be interesting to see how they manage those expectations and if it's even possible to deliver on them.

I find that idea that "hype" is the cause of the rise and fall in ratings absurd given that the outer fringes of initial viewers are decidedly casual watchers.

I think there was a fair amount of hype. For those following the show they knew a big battle was coming and they would have told their friends about it in many cases.

Where. Where was this hype? Please, point me to a few spots on the internet that were calling for Hardhome to be a barn-burner.

The episode descriptions contained nothing of the sort, nor did the preview. Casual show watchers (and even casual book readers) would not have seen this coming. Certainly not many of the elements of it. So please, even though I don't buy this obnoxious theory about hype, show me where it was even happening prior to Sunday.

I find that idea that "hype" is the cause of the rise and fall in ratings absurd given that the outer fringes of initial viewers are decidedly casual watchers.

Why? Hype most certainly worked for Breaking Bad. But, obviously we're not looking at that level of hype here, but hype/PR/buzz/media coverage does play into ratings.

I do think we will see given that ep 8 was good and "exciting" probably a hold at 7 million and maybe even an increase, it's possible they could regain the audience they lost and end even back at around 8 million.

I will be of the mind that E7 ran on memorial due to E6 ending. They did not want that to hang for 2 weeks. With Dany/Tyrion they can get some interest for episode 8.

However the battle sequence was not heavily hyped so it is not all the big battle. Many people got interested in two favorite character meeting and got to see a great action sequence. If the next two weeks end being the most episodes of the season than they finish strong and go into year on a high note.

Where. Where was this hype? Please, point me to a few spots on the internet that were calling for Hardhome to be a barn-burner.

The episode descriptions contained nothing of the sort, nor did the preview. Casual show watchers (and even casual book readers) would not have seen this coming. Certainly not many of the elements of it. So please, even though I don't buy this obnoxious theory about hype, show me where it was even happening prior to Sunday.

There were articles about there being a big, twenty minute battle, Kit Harrington talking about what a huge shoot it was. I don't know if I could find them now that they're hidden under all the post-release articles but I mean there was quite a lot of talk about them here before release.

There were articles about there being a big, twenty minute battle, Kit Harrington talking about what a huge shoot it was. I don't know if I could find them now that they're hidden under all the post-release articles but I mean there was quite a lot of talk about them here before release.

Here maybe, but was IGN? Or anywhere else a more casual viewer might go? If virtually none of the casual audience, which makes up the vast majority of the show, heard it - then it isn't hype.

Sorry, but it should be pretty obvious that didn't drum up that kind of audience increase.

Yeah, but most people aren't that tuned in, I don't think it was super heavily promo'd on HBO or anywhere else was it? And there was nothing much in the show that would lead a casual viewer to say OMG Hardhome is going to be a huge battle,it wasn't foreshadowed anything like they did w/Blackwater.

So, I guess it's kind of a mystery, I really didn't expect the audience would increase to over 6 million based off the previous ratings.

The next morning after the episode aired, there was a post about it in the front page of reddit, maybe like fifth link from the top. And that is a pretty big deal.

Also my twitter was full of Game of Thrones.

The hype got me, I watched the episode as soon as I could. The battle scene was great fun, otherwise the episode was rather bad.

edited: front page of reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/3815cb/got_spoilers_so_one_of_the_best_episodes_of_game/

The next morning after the episode aired, there was a post about it in the front page, maybe like fifth link from the top. And that is a pretty big deal.

Also my twitter was full of Game of Thrones.

The hype got me, I watched the episode as soon as I could. The battle scene was great fun, otherwise the episode was rather bad.

Right, but that was the next morning. Not the Sunday night numbers, so your reasoning also doesn't apply.

Yeah, but most people aren't that tuned in, I don't think it was super heavily promo'd on HBO or anywhere else was it? And there was nothing much in the show that would lead a casual viewer to say OMG Hardhome is going to be a huge battle,it wasn't foreshadowed anything like they did w/Blackwater.

So, I guess it's kind of a mystery, I really didn't expect the audience would increase to over 6 million based off the previous ratings.

I know that's a little obscure, and I said that that would just be for those following the show closely. But those people have more casual friends who they would tell, it's not impossible that the articles caused some word of mouth. That, combined with Cersei's arrest and Tyrion meeting Dany in E7, plus some people coming back from memorial day probably resulted in the high E8 numbers.

That, combined with Cersei's arrest and Tyrion meeting Dany in E7, plus some people coming back from memorial day probably resulted in the high E8 numbers.

So the quality of the show itself drove the numbers back up with casual fans. Glad we all agree and can move past that other silliness.

I honestly think a better explanation is that viewers simply wanted to see what would happen to Sansa next. So viewership for the episode was more front loaded. My guess is that the cumulative viewership figures for every episode of the fifth season are relatively the same.

I know that's a little obscure, and I said that that would just be for those following the show closely. But those people have more casual friends who they would tell, it's not impossible that the articles caused some word of mouth. That, combined with Cersei's arrest and Tyrion meeting Dany in E7, plus some people coming back from memorial day probably resulted in the high E8 numbers.

Maybe, but what people were talking about was OMG Sansa RAPED, so to me, if any word of mouth buzz got people to tune back in to the show it would be that, which did get a lot of coverage in the media and trended on twitter, etc.

I just can't see expectations for Hardhome being responsible for the first audience increase all season and a really big increase at that.

So the quality of the show itself drove the numbers back up with casual fans. Glad we all agree and can move past that other silliness.

Erm...did I say that? A flashy battle sequence and some shocking events stripped of all weight and context drew people back. Same as will happen this week. Dany will ride off on Drogon and people will lose their shit and proclaim the show the best thing evah! again. Despite the fact that there is absolutely no tension in Dany's story.

I honestly think a better explanation is that viewers simply wanted to see what would happen to Sansa next. So viewership for the episode was more front loaded. My guess is that the cumulative viewership figures for every episode of the fifth season are relatively the same.

Yep, when all is said and done this is probably the case. People are placing way too much importance on the live numbers.

Then why the big drop on episode 7? It was much bigger than the last memorial day drop (though I guess it wasn't the huge episode 9 battle either). But if that was really such a draw I think we would have seen a smaller drop on memorial day. I reckon more people were turned off by Sansa's story than were intrigued. And rightfully so.

Yep, when all is said and done this is probably the case. People are placing way too much importance on the live numbers.

Ditto.

Memo to all: HBO has no advertisers to appease. Cumulative ratings is all that matters.

Erm...did I say that? A flashy battle sequence and some shocking events stripped of all weight and context drew people back. Same as will happen this week. Dany will ride off on Drogon and people will lose their shit and proclaim the show the best thing evah! again. Despite the fact that there is absolutely no tension in Dany's story.

This week. Sure, that might be true, because last week there was a battle.

But no one knew a flashy battle sequence was about to happen for Hardhome. There was zero public hype for it. I bet most of the avid book readers here had no idea THAT was coming. It'll drive hype for next week but the notion that people tuned in LAST week for a battle is preposterous.

You feel however you want about the show vs. the books, but when you start making absurdly stupid arguments to bash the show you lose credibility.

Archived