Which great Ancient civilisation would you want to live in?

TheWitch

This doesn't include the Dawn age.

Early Andals and First Men count I guess.

Personally I would chose the Rhoynar. Pretty progressive in their outlook of society, highly cultured and a laid back simple religion. The cities sound like they where beautiful and I imagine they where nice places to be rich.

My second choice would be Valyria, because who doesn't want a dragon? However, there's just something repellent about Valyria itself, primarily from the illustrations in TWOIAF.

What about you? :)

I'd like to live with the Rhoynar. It seems like such an interesting place, with beautiful cities with distinct identities, with peaceful ways who were inclusive and welcoming but when pushed they could be fierce. Plus I'd also like to have lived during the time of the Fisher Queens to know more about it I get the feeling it was a magical dynasty.

The one place I've not interest in though is Valyria. It seems a place all about the purchase and growth of power, its a place I'd find oppressive and repellent. Plus it didn't look very safe. I'd be worried about someone pushing me into onrushing lava,

The Valyrian Freehold (assuming I'm a Lord Freeholder).

They had the best technology, the strongest army, and many other great aspects. I would absloutly ride a dragon and try to conquer distant lands in the name of Valyria. I would burn Braavos to the ground, wiping them off the map.

Most importantly I would try to prevent the Doom of Valyria by getting more Dragon Lords to follow the example of the Targaryens and settle in the more distant cities of the empire. I would also encourage expansionism, encouraging fellow Valyrians to invade Westros and the Summer Isles.

I was ready to come in and start preaching about the Indus Valley Civilazation and Mohenjo Daro, but of course you mean in world.....

Those civilizations are from the Dawn Age, which the OP said not to include.

It has always puzzled me the adjective 'great' near Ancient Civilization.If a civilization was ever 'great', it's our own.

That is because civilizations are more often than not measured by their technological advancements, the complexities of their cultures, and by their societal ethics.

Archived