Reptiles are the best thing in the world

giant snake

I admire the beauty of snakes very much. But we don't fit. I think in horoscope they are anthema to my life or something like that. Love their shiny skin and their scale patterns. I don't mind if they stay in their cages, but I will burn the house down if it's loose. Big lizards like igunas I don't mind running around. I can't stand the small ones thou. I've this irrational fear that their tail would burrow in my ear.

I think snakes are pretty and beneficial creatures, but I don't want one as a pet. I couldn't feed living mice to a snake - no way! :ack: I see snakes in my yard once in awhile - it always startles me! There is gasping. And stepping back.

Then my thinking brain takes over from lizard brain (heh) and I admire and watch the snake. I never consider killing them. I know they eat rodents and even big bugs, so it's all cool with me that they're around.I like all the lizards in my yard, too, but I don't want a pet lizard.

We have three turtles. We didn't buy any of 'em. The first one was given to me to be a "classroom pet". She'd been taken from the wild and kept in deplorable conditions. A little research and quite a bit of money later she moved to my house and has lived with us about 10 years. (Turtles are very long-lived when kept properly, btw. People don't think about that when they get them. They can also grow pretty large - like dinner plate large.) Two other turtles were given to us in similar ways: owners were gonna dump 'em in the pond if they couldn't find homes for them.

We like the turtles a lot. They have different personalities and are interesting to watch. We don't handle them much, except for feeding (they're fed in a tub of water outside the tank - they are messy eaters) although Mr. YellowDog will take them outside once in awhile so they can hang out in natural sunshine and groove on the world some.

Turtles are cool, but like any pet, people should do research first...wait, I didn't actually do that for the first one! :blushing: But it all happened so fast! Really! I mean, someone shows up with a little turtle and says, "Hey. You want this turtle for a class pet?" and it was in such a bad living situation, well...y'know how it goes.

I don't think they are good pets for young kids nor should they be handled by young kids. The "four inch" law was passed 'cause kids were putting hatchling turtles in their mouths! Poor little turtles. They are treated as "disposable" pets and toys all too often. :crying:

I've got an idea for a therapy animal business. How about WOLVERINES, BADGERS, SHARKS AND HYENAS UNLIMITED? I think a little brush with rabies or giant ocean killers is the best medicine. I'll set up a kickstarter so you guys can send me some dough.

Hey, hyenæ make lovely pets.

I couldn't feed living mice to a snake - no way! :ack:

You don't have to feed them live food. Actually for smaller snakes it's generally recommended that you don't. Any reptile store will sell frozen mice. Just need to thaw them out and warm them up then drop them in the tank. I use a hair dryer. Gotta do it outside though, the smell is not pleasant.

We've fed ours live mice before, but I hated it so we stick to frozen now.

Also Bob decided to become friends with one of the live mice once and wouldn't eat him. He ate other mice but Rodney just chilled in his tank and they were cool. It was weird.

I agree. Life in a tank is probably pretty boring.

They don't really get bored. A lot of aquariums are like mansions to these creatures. A lot of people want to treat reptiles and bugs like mammals but they have opposite reactions in a lot of cases.

I wouldn't get a reptile for a really little kid because they can potentially harm it, but they are really safe for a kid who is old enough to know what's going on.

They don't really get bored. A lot of aquariums are like mansions to these creatures. A lot of people want to treat reptiles and bugs like mammals but they have opposite reactions in a lot of cases.

Exactly. People who think snakes get "bored" or "sad" in captivity are projecting their own emotions onto a being that's incapable of them

Archived