We Love A Song of Ice and Fire

I enjoy this forum immensely, but it also results in our tendency to complain about the series from time to time. But really we wouldn't be here if we didn't love the series so much, right? There is no point to this thread beyond just reminding myself and others to simply appreciate the existence of this awesome series of books. Thanks to GRRM.

I completely love the books: the complex characters, the magic, the game of thrones. Thanks to Martin for building this amazing and complex world with their own religions, politics and magic, and direwolves and dragons (how can I forget those!)

I actually blame this series on my inability to enjoy classic literature like I used to. You can tell by the state of my books (worn, no front or back covers, writing in EVERY SINGLE MARGIN) that I'm in love.

I have no problem waiting on the volumes. I started reading in 2004 and never stopped.

I enjoy this forum immensely, but it also results in our tendency to complain about the series from time to time. But really we wouldn't be here if we didn't love the series so much, right? There is no point to this thread beyond just reminding myself and others to simply appreciate the existence of this awesome series of books. Thanks to GRRM.

:agree:

I think it's funny when people argue over silly little details and get really nitpicky. I also think it's funny when people shoot down and argue over speculation they don't agree with, and say that certain things are out of the realm of possibility when in fact asoiaf is a fantasy series about magic and dragons.

I wouldn't say love but it keeps me entertained and it has a top preference. There are few things that would make me join a board and discuss. HP was one... Glee is another one. And this. Really, that's it.

Replace Glee with Lost and that's me

Also, I only complain and nitpick about things I care about. That's how I show love :p

being involved in something does not necessitate sycophancy, nor insist on complacency.

and i have as much gratitude for the 'grrm' author/entity as he has for me. none.

unless oscar acceptance speeches are a benchmark of sincerity, in which case i must also thank the publisher, the bookshop delivery driver and the trees that so selflessly provided the paper the books were printed on.

really...........

being involved in something does not necessitate sycophancy, nor insist on complacency.

and i have as much gratitude for the 'grrm' author/entity as he has for me. none.

unless oscar acceptance speeches are a benchmark of sincerity, in which case i must also thank the publisher, the bookshop delivery driver and the trees that so selflessly provided the paper the books were printed on.

really...........

I have an opposite view, possibly because I am a writer myself. I know what goes into creating a work of fiction, and I wish I were as good at it as Martin is. There's a great deal of respect in me for someone who can do what he does, and shares it with the world. There are writers who never share their stories, and some of them may be as good as Martin is, but we'll never know, and we'll never get a chance to enjoy their work.

Appreciation is not sycophancy.

I have an opposite view, possibly because I am a writer myself. I know what goes into creating a work of fiction, and I wish I were as good at it as Martin is. There's a great deal of respect in me for someone who can do what he does, and shares it with the world. There are writers who never share their stories, and some of them may be as good as Martin is, but we'll never know, and we'll never get a chance to enjoy their work.

Appreciation is not sycophancy.

but veneration of one we compare ourselves to is?

Archived