The Hierarchy of the Others

Voice

I see. I was mostly trying to work the comet idea into the Ice magicked, aka milkglass, longswords of the Others. If there were a relationship there, it would fit well into yet a different theory I have regarding the Others. As you have terms for Lightbringer, I have theories regarding the origins of Others LOL... honestly though, I have a stack of them.

Agreed. It really does fit, and seems a likely inspiration for GRRM. He was a sci-fi writer for many years, and would no doubt have researched such elements thoroughly. Here, we have a magical treatment of these elemental forces, events, and chemical reactions.

I can see how that would work, though I still find Ned's sword to be far too new a specimen to consider in this way.

I've raised the same concern. Valyria wasn't around. I do know better than to discard the clues planted in the world book however. And would not be surprised in the least if GeoDawnian smiths had turned out some dark-fire imbued swords with which to smite ice demons. It would also be a good reason for the term "dragonsteel" to exist, rather than naming it Valyrian, if it predated the Valyrian Freehold.

The Evenstar, as in Brienne's father?

Seems possible, but unlikely GRRM would delve into this level of detail. I fear the same in terms of my hierarchy, truth be told, and my origin theories. Some of them seem a little too far behind the curtain to make it to the printed page. Yet, they seem like very possible/probable outlines from which GRRM is working, and churning out the printed pages. I think ice spiders will make it, and that the higher ranks of the hierarchy will be evident. But like everything else, they will be cloaked in mystery, inaccuracies, and exaggerations. Ice spiders will be the big blue neon sign, flashing and heralding their return, but like Ser Waymar's screams of pain, they will likely be hidden behind the winds and snow.

Scientifically speaking Comets are called "The dirty ice balls of space"

Nice. Yet one more correlation!

Or, is this a hint as to the fate of Hodor in those crypts??? Does this reveal why Benjen was sent to the Wall?!?! Was he showing people his "dirty sword" down in that hallowed space?! LOL... hard not to joke around after that video. Seriously can't wipe the smile off my face...

Thanks Wolfmaid, that's exactly the idea I was trying to touch on. A comet appears to be a ball of fire, but's actually an icy ball of rock and dirt. Thus, it makes a great ice and fire metaphor. The unity of both.

Tyndall effect anyone?

Edit: If you click the link in the paragraph next to the eerie blue crystal of milkglass, it will take you to the Tyndall effect page, where you will find a very nice correlation between milkglass and blue eye color....

Edit 2: Interesting juxtaposition with red eyes and albinism as well...

A blue iris in an eye is due to Tyndall scattering in a turbid layer in the iris. Brown and black irises have the same layer except with more melanin in it. The melanin absorbs light. In the absence of melanin, the layer is translucent (i.e., the light passing through is randomly and diffusely scattered) and a noticeable portion of the light that enters this turbid layer re-emerges via a scattered path. That is, there is backscatter, the redirection of the lightwaves back out to the open air. Scattering takes place to a greater extent at the shorter wavelengths. The longer wavelengths tend to pass straight through the turbid layer with unaltered paths, and then encounter the next layer further back in the iris, which is a light absorber. Thus, the longer wavelengths are not reflected (by scattering) back to the open air as much as the shorter wavelengths are. Since the shorter wavelengths are the blue wavelengths, this gives rise to a blue hue in the light that comes out of the eye.[2][3] The blue iris is an example of a structural color, in contradistinction to a pigment color. The complete absence of pigment in eyes (albinism) causes the eye to appear red, due to the visibility of the red of the retina through the iris.[4]

From that page, you can click on one thing in the “see also:"

Adularescence is an optical phenomenon, similar to labradorescence and aventurescence, that is produced in gemstones such as moonstones.

The effect of adularescence, also commonly referred to as schiller or shiller, is best described as a milky, bluish luster or glow originating from below the surface of the gemstone. The schiller, appearing to move as the stone is turned (or as the light source is moved), gives the impression of lunar light floating on water (accounting for moonstone's name).[1] Though white schiller is the most common, in rarer specimens, orange or blue lusters are produced.[2]

This effect is most typically produced by adularia, from which the name derives.[3][4][5]Adularescence appears in numerous other gemstones, notably common opal, rose quartz and agate. However, due to inclusions in these other stones, the effect is displayed differently. The schiller is scattered by inclusions and appears hazy; non-hazy specimens are specially referred to as "milky". Thus, adularescence occurring in non-adularia gemstones is termed differently - "girasol effect" and opalescence (for opals only) are two such terms. When the schiller forms an indistinct band it is said to display a chatoyant effect. Only clearly defined bands are referred to as "cat's eyes".[5]

We have mention of the "light" emitted from "blue eyes" and that this effect is a characteristic of milkglass. I'm thinking more and more that Dawn is milkglass, the material of Other-ish weaponry, and that it was the original Ice...

Maybe even the original lightbringer. Just look at this Ice and Fire effect!

This effect also just happens to explain why the sky is blue... granted you're not in the midst of a long night of course ;)

Note the presence of moonstone, opal, milky bluish glow, and finally “cat’s eye,” evoking the cotf potentially. They’re involved in everything, so t’shard to say. But certainly all of these things make sense when you colder the Others as having bones of milkglass. In fact, that right there tells you for a fact that milk glass, like obsidian, is a magically personified element in ASOIAF.

I do think that Azor Ahai’s sword had an element of obsidian in it, so id Dawn does actually contain milk glass... kind of fits.

So how was milk glass added to a steel sword made from a comet meteorite alloy? I’m still assuming the presence of phosphorus in the steel, but regardless, how do you add milk glass to steel? I do not think Dawn is pure milk glass - they would say so. It’s “as pale as milk glass,” so it’s either meant to invoke the symbolism of milkglass, and thus the Others and Ice Magic, or to suggest milk glass as an ingredient.

Both of these magic swords have 3 ingredients, to let another bit of a future essay slip early. There are some good textual metaphors that show three ingredients to make a sword. I believe we are looking for steel, stone, and glass. Azar Ahai’s sword has

1. the “bloodstone,” the sun drinking stone
  2. Geodawnian dragonsteel
  3. dragonglass, which I suspect was added later in westeros at the instruction of the cotf to “balance” out the fire magic of the sword (bloodstone moon rock = dark fire, obsidian = natural fire

Dawn has:

1. steel alloy made from the..
  2. ..stone of the meteor (meteorite rock is mainly iron ore, often with nickel (carbon source) and phosphorus)
  3. glass from the milk glass of an Others sword, taken from a defeated Other perhaps?

If you had disarmed an Other, and sent him running back to his pale woman with his tail between his legs, why on Earthos would you sully the blade with steel or iron?

Nice. Yet one more correlation!

Or, is this a hint as to the fate of Hodor in those crypts??? Does this reveal why Benjen was sent to the Wall?!?! Was he showing people his "dirty sword" down in that hallowed space?! LOL... hard not to joke around after that video. Seriously can't wipe the smile off my face...

I know you are a jokey one...lol

Thanks Wolfmaid, that's exactly the idea I was trying to touch on. A comet appears to be a ball of fire, but's actually an icy ball of rock and dirt. Thus, it makes a great ice and fire metaphor. The unity of both.

Exactly,ice core with a fire tail.I am buying and liking the celestrial comparisons alot.In my sig there's another thread "Those who sing" check it out.I'm going to come at what you guys are saying from another point of view.This is piece of it that you may find interesting and compatible to what you are saying.

"This is an observation of a reoccurring theme about "songs" in ASOFAI and the creatures that posses them. I will discuss why i feel it is important to the overall story and certain character development. First a bit of a mythical parallel, about magic and the songs of nature .It was Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who taught that planets rotating the Sun sang a song by vibrating. He went on to state that from these vibrations a certain harmony was achieved and that they each had a corresponding effect on Earth .The symphony he called, 'the Music of the Spheres" reverberated in everything and could be heard by those who had the gift to hear it Wolfmaid7."

So basically at the core of this theory of ancient peoples ( i believe this as well) -that's why our zodiacs match us so well-says,the stars and planets all bodies in space have a musical correspondant on earth.Doubles per se...So for instance the Red Comet may have someone(s) who vibrate or sing the same song they do.

We have mention of the "light" emitted from "blue eyes" and that this effect is a characteristic of milkglass. I'm thinking more and more that Dawn is milkglass, the material of Other-ish weaponry, and that it was the original Ice...

Maybe even the original lightbringer. Just look at this Ice and Fire effect!

This effect also just happens to explain why the sky is blue... granted you're not in the midst of a long night of course ;)

Dawn, “original Ice," was the actual bringer of light, while “Lightbringer,” the dark fir sword, brought darkness. I think it’s a clever reversal which is just the type of thing that appeals to george. It makes it less predictable. He’s setting up the Others as the force and source of darkness, but it’s actually fire magic that is messed up and bringing darkness. The Others merely took advantage of these conditions, brought upon by Lightbringer the comet and the wielder of Lightbringer the sword. Ice magic, in the form of Dawn, brought the light.

It’s also possible the Others were manifested by earth as an antibody to the presence of the messed up dark fire magic on the planet.

Bu of course it isn’t so simple as “Ice good, fire bad.” No, because the Others, even as luminescent as they are, thrive in darkness and hate the smell of living things or whatever. So there’s a balance here - fire magic was needed to balance out the Others, just as Ice magic needed to defeat the Bloodstone Emperor Azor Ahai. Because what I think happened was that after Azor Ahai was defeated by the wielder of Dawn, the “great reversal” the proto-Valyrians suffered at battle Isle referred to in TWOIAF, his fire sword was used to defeat the Others by the Last Hero. Balance and all.

But still, the clever inversion re: light-bringing, where it was the icy sword that brought light and dawn and the fire sword that brought death and darkness.

Actually, thinking on this further, here’s what happened: originally the milk glass element of Dawn, original Ice, was a weapon of the Others - a darkness bringing weapon. But when it was used against the bloodstone emperor somehow, it helped bring the Dawn. Azar Ahai’s sword, on the other hand, started out as a darkness bringer but eventually payed a role in bringing the Dawn as well.

If you had disarmed an Other, and sent him running back to his pale woman with his tail between his legs, why on Earthos would you sully the blade with steel or iron?

that’s assuming you can even keep an Other’s blade. What if you quenched a sword in the water of a melted Other? Perhaps that’s how you infuse milkglass and ice magic into steel.

Edit: recall the idea of the pond in the godswood being a melted ice dragon. I suppose it ocular be melted pile of Others form the big battle at Winterfell. Either way, Ned’s been dipping dark light bringer in it for years, covered in blood. Perhaps this is a clue.

I know you are a jokey one...lol

Exactly,ice core with a fire tail.I am buying and liking the celestrial comparisons alot.In my sig there's another thread "Those who sing" check it out.I'm going to come at what you guys are saying from another point of view.This is piece of it that you may find interesting and compatible to what you are saying.

"This is an observation of a reoccurring theme about "songs" in ASOFAI and the creatures that posses them. I will discuss why i feel it is important to the overall story and certain character development. First a bit of a mythical parallel, about magic and the songs of nature .It was Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who taught that planets rotating the Sun sang a song by vibrating. He went on to state that from these vibrations a certain harmony was achieved and that they each had a corresponding effect on Earth .The symphony he called, 'the Music of the Spheres" reverberated in everything and could be heard by those who had the gift to hear it Wolfmaid7."

So basically at the core of this theory of ancient peoples ( i believe this as well) -that's why our zodiacs match us so well-says,the stars and planets all bodies in space have a musical correspondant on earth.Doubles per se...So for instance the Red Comet may have someone(s) who vibrate or sing the same song they do.

That’s really nice, I’m familiar with the concept and find it very fascinating. I’m a musician and very in to the correlation between sound and “magic," so to speak. Clearly George is too, with dawn singers and monsignors and those who sing the song of the earth and the sea song and perhaps others I’ve missed.. all the song metaphors applied to swords and fighting... All the Norse myth uses “song” in this way as well. But I think each magic has its own song, in a way.

The red comet was a disruptor of harmony, from my point of view. Eight was the original number of the gods, when Planetos had two moons. The ninth celestial wanderer, the comet, destroyed the eighth and left seven, and the seasons and the earth itself (and its relation to the solar system) are out of harmony.

That’s really nice, I’m familiar with the concept and find it very fascinating. I’m a musician and very in to the correlation between sound and “magic," so to speak. Clearly George is too, with dawn singers and monsignors and those who sing the song of the earth and the sea song and perhaps others I’ve missed.. all the song metaphors applied to swords and fighting... All the Norse myth uses “song” in this way as well. But I think each magic has its own song, in a way.

The red comet was a disruptor of harmony, from my point of view. Eight was the original number of the gods, when Planetos had two moons. The ninth celestial wanderer, the comet, destroyed the eighth and left seven, and the seasons and the earth itself (and its relation to the solar system) are out of harmony.

To go more with your theory its possible the Red Comet went and messed up the sound....I am also in agreement about each manifestation of magic having its own song and i believe in the case of the Starks and their wolves and even Day and Drogon there is a shared song.

The wws i believe also have one(song) that to untouched ears come across differently---as ice crackling.Same way to Cat the Wolves came across as a terrible howling that she wanted to stop whereas to Rob he describes the howling as they'singing to each other" and the remakable thing was he could tell them individually.

Archived