Thoughts on new trailer

I_Might_Be_God

“...two different versions of the same story.”

“That’s pretty well true of anything you adapt. People make changes to Shakespearean plays or classics like ‘Moby Dick.’ Movie versions of ‘Moby Dick’ are not the novel…Once you sign a contract to do a television adaptation or film adaption, you have to be realistic. It’s not going to be the same. It’s another version of the same story.”

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/1981041/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-books/

“Fan fiction is fan FICTION. Stories.

This is a game. Not fiction.

Also, it is licensed. What I object to about fan fiction (as the term is commonly used today) is that it's unlicensed, unauthorized, an appropriation of the writer's intellectual property without his consent. If the writer GIVES his consent, that's a whole different bag o' dragons.”

Source: http://grrm.livejournal.com/406361.html?thread=20235097

Since Game of Thrones is licensed to adapt ASOIAF, I think it's pretty safe to say that even GRRM wouldn't consider the GOT screenplay fan fiction. It's just a different version of his story.

Joining in the choir, one of the best trailers as of yet. Impressive, cinematic and epic.

And concerning Dany, she's examplifying what power(and ego) does to people. And on top of that is also surrounding herself with "yay sayers" who is feeding her growing God complex. Her arc isn't about the lost great monarch retaking her ancestors seat of power. It's problaly leaning towards the opposite of her dreams, resulting in another Targaryen tyrant invading Westeros. I believe that Dany is turning into the Walter White of Asoif.

Really good post, I loved the trailer but boy did Dany annoy the hell out of me. I actually really liked her character to begin with but now I just want her to die even though I seriously doubt it will happend until late in ADOS/Season 7. The comparison with Walter White is also a good one although I actually wanted him to prevail in Breaking Bad.

I kind of get where Dany is going she's being set up to fail and do the reverse of what we thought she may (and what she wanted to do) in the begining along the way she is going from a nice young innocent girl to a very grey character who isn't quite bad but does a lot of bad things.

They just hate Cat and project onto LS. I refuse to believe Martin brought her back for nothing

I agree. I hope she returns.

I'll consider it to be however I want, I don't need GRRM's blessing.

She adds to the tragedy. Catelyn can't even rest in peace and perhaps be united with Ned. She is the gods' answer for the RW. So far in the show there is absolutely no answer to what was the biggest event in the series. That's awful writing.

It's all fiction so each person can create their own version of the story. I always felt the same way about Star Wars content (never accepted post ROTJ materials) into my 'canon'.

We all want to see the Frey's get their due. But we didn't get to see the entire series yet did we?

D&D are continuing with the tradition of giving Dany stupid, nonsensical and OOC lines meant to sound "badass".

...in a very monotone voice, like she's hypnotized. (I like both Dany and Emilia, but... yeah). There is zero of Dany's warmth, kindness and sweetness in this character and that's, imo, a mistake. Her vulnerability is part of her character as well. Can a woman being strong if she has traces of weakness and doubt? Of course she can. Apparently, for D&D, it can't be done. Idem for Elaria.

I agree. I hope she returns.

It's all fiction so each person can create their own version of the story. I always felt the same way about Star Wars content (never accepted post ROTJ materials) into my 'canon'.

We all want to see the Frey's get their due. But we didn't get to see the entire series yet did we?

Yeah that's why I hope she returns. It's really bad story telling to have nothing happen to the Freys in season 4

...in a very monotone voice, like she's hypnotized. (I like both Dany and Emilia, but... yeah). There is zero of Dany's warmth, kindness and sweetness in this character and that's, imo, a mistake. Her vulnerability is part of her character as well. Can a woman being strong if she has traces of weakness and doubt? Of course she can. Apparently, for D&D, it can't be done. Idem for Elaria.

Its also weak to believe that a cycle of revenge is a bad idea.

1. There was a poll on here recently that put Daenerys way down on the bottom of the list of popularity, so if you are seeing that its not on these forums. Us Dany fans are in the minority here.

2. Clearly you have not heard of Elizabeth I of England.

Please stop. I'm counting double figure Dany fans in this thread alone. A thread submitted to a small number of minority book fans is not accurate. If the poll was so popular, then I would've heard it, but I haven't.

And what does Eliz the I have to do with this lol? I mean ok, she was a bad ruler as well, but still...

Irrational as how I would put it. Just look at that nonsensical screed he posted above.

I swear every time I post something negative about Dany you turn up in the same thread. Its as if you're stalking my posts and waiting all day till I diss the precious Dany.

Based solely on the new trailer alone, Game of Thrones season 5 > AFFC/ADWD.

Well, they seemingly invented new material for Sansa. But Bran isn't even in it. At this point I think it is fan-fiction mixed with TWOW.

Well, they seemingly invented new material for Sansa. But Bran isn't even in it. At this point I think it is fan-fiction mixed with TWOW.

Concerning Sansa,

the last thing Littlefinger tells her in AFFC is "every knight in the Vale will pledge his sword to win you back your birthright. So those are your gifts from me, my sweet Sansa...Harry, the Eyrie, and Winterfell."

It may be they're simply expediting Sansa's arc, but there's no way to know for sure until TWOW comes out.

Concerning Sansa,

the last thing Littlefinger tells her in AFFC is "every knight in the Vale will pledge his sword to win you back your birthright. So those are your gifts from me, my sweet Sansa...Harry, the Eyrie, and Winterfell."

It may be they're simply expediting Sansa's arc, but there's no way to know for sure until TWOW comes out.

Maybe you're right. It's just that they changed some of the most significant parts in S4 about Sansa. I mean, the Stark kids are just throwing around their names willy nilly in S4. I can't help but wonder if they have invented stuff. Then again, maybe that's where the arc was headed all along and D&D just cut out a lot of stuff and went straight to the endgame.

I'm just still bitter that they didn't include Bran in S5. :P I think the weirwood scene could have been so beautiful. And seeing as they seem to have done away with LSH and Coldhands, I can't help but fear they have done the same with the weirwood scene.

They just hate Cat and project onto LS. I refuse to believe Martin brought her back for nothing

Way back I posed that very question. For what purpose would GRRM bring back Cat aka LS and turn here into a revanent? Why?

One answer, that makes sense to me, is she returns to reek revenge at first, but something changes LS. Something happens that awakens what is left of Cat in her and she seeks out Jon at the Wall. Becoming the one who resurrects Jon, not Melisandre.

RE: Sansa clips. From the many YouTube Breakdowns of Trailer 2, a lot of people seem to think that Sansa is being brought to Winterfell to marry Ramsey. But she is left unaware till her arrival.

Sansa being forced to marry another sadist, unless the plan is for Sansa to kill Ramsey on their wedding night. Otherwise, it seems redundant for her story arc, like D& D treading water until the next books are out.

What advantage is there for LF to marry Sansa off to Ramsey? Why would he trust Roose? Roose would kill LF and take Sansa for Ramsey if Roose knew she was actually Sansa Stark.

The trailer was pretty good. Dany is annoying though, talking as if she knows any of the great houses. Stannis is going to get major showfag followers judging by how much he is going to avenge the north. I look forward to telling all of my non-reader friends "told ya so" once they realise why I was rooting for Stannis this whole time.

"That is the only time she can be strong."

Well, maybe not, but one's strength is definitely more visible and moving if it is displayed in the face of doubts and fears and vulnerabilities. I think that what made Dany in season one better was the fact that we saw her vulnerability, her fears and doubts. Of course it helped that Viserys and Drogo were there in season one, her intimacy with them being a great vehicle for bringing out a wider range of her human characteristics. She hasn't really had a lot of intimates since then. Maybe, with the new, less douchey Daario, they'll let her expose her emotions a bit this season. Though they might just use it to expose her in other ways...

Archived