The Unexpected Death (book and show spoilers)

Sword of the Morgan

I think it's Barristan. For a multitude of reasons in the story and outside as well. He fits the mold of this pissed off actor who didn't like being killed. And I say that because he's read all the books, he knows the story he's supposed to have, and he even knows about all the theories as well. I've heard him interviewed on some of them. And storyline wise it fits with what Benioff and Weiss like to do. They like to take out characters in a major one's orbit when new ones are coming to cut down on the amount of characters in a given story. Example, Pyp and Grenn to make way for Stannis and Melisandre around Jon. Jojen for Bloodraven.

I don't know what I can and cannot post about potential spoilers in season 5 in this thread so I'll just tag this:

Barristan and Grey Worm for Tyrion and Jorah

So, yeah. That's my reasons. I'll hate to see it though. Such a waste if it happens.

When a friend at work told me that an unexpected character was going to die this coming season, I spent a fair few hours pondering on who it might be.

I came to one character whose death wouldn't effect any major story arcs set by George in the books yet could have significant and major affects with regard to the story arcs in the TV series.

I personally don't think any POV character will get the chop purely because I feel each and everyone has a significant role to play in the series.

My logic and rational lead me to Missandei.

Not considered in a traditional sense as a main character but I feel as she appears in many scenes and has been in the show for a few years she to me qualifies as a 'significant character'.

Season 4 saw development in the relationship between Missandei and Grey worm; why would the shows writers create this story arc? I think its going to lead to one of their deaths, people in this thread have mentioned that grey worm could get the chop but in my opinion this wouldn't serve to create any real developments in the story. Missandei's death on the other hand would, profoundly.

Missandei is perhaps Dany's closest other, someone who Dany cares about and would be devastated if she was murdered.

We know that things need to kick of in Meeren with the son's of the harpy, her murder would serve as a crucial development in Dany's story whereby she is faced with the reality of not being able to gain control and not being able to trust the people around her ect...

This brings me to Grey Worm, now season 4 highlighted the fact that Grey Worm develops feelings for Missandei, being an unsullied this is actually quite significant for unsullied traditionally don't 'feel'.

I think it would be fantastic and dramatic for the viewer to see a character who shouldn't have emotions to become overcome with emotions at the murder of someone he possible 'loved'. It would also be great TV for Grey Worm to become committed/obsessed to routing out and killing all the people who played a part in Missandei's murder (the sons of the harpy).

so that's my idea. Missandei gets murdered which leads to dramatic and necessary developments in Dany's and Grey Worm's TV series story arcs.

I didn't do any research as to whether this is possible so it might just be a load of crap.

Would like to hear if people feel this is a possibility or whether my idea's are simply just terrible.

I think Loras has a good chance of kicking the bucket. I believe his actor is an avid book reader, and even was vocal about his character being portrayed too stereotypically gay, as well as the fact that he believed that Loras would not move on from Renly quick.

Yeah, it sucks that deleted scene with him and Marg was cut.

Yeah I reckon it's Loras

They are probably cutting whatever the Dragonstone business is

Plus they want to show a way the Tyrells are getting put under pressure, meaning the Lannister/Tyrell alliance at large, so to have Lannisters smashed via a Cersei WoS and then the Sparrows execute Loras would do that

Hard for the Sparrows to bring down someone like Marge given her charitable work, plus it's trickier to sew in a 'promiscuous' notion re Marge on the show so I can see why they went for Loras instead. They'll probably deal with Tommen and Margaery in whatever way next season

Agree with comments about deleted scenes re Renly. They seem to have focused more on Briennes relationship but not Loras, though the wedding storming out was nicely done

My stretch of a guess is Sansa and I would rather they kill Sophie off than have her get the Jeyne Poole Treatment.

The reason this is a possibilty is the fact that of all the Starks her character seems to be taking the furthest path from the books than any of her siblings - maybe because her book destiny is being deliberately shrouded, who knows but it is certainly different.

The logical guess is Ser Barristan or Brienne which is a toss-up.

Barristan, Jorah or Mance would be my guess, as much as it'd be a shame to lose any of them.

Mance seems like the likeliest. The whole glamour thing in the books felt a bit too Harry Potter for me, so would be glad if they left that out, though it'd be a shame to lose Ciarin Hinds as I don't feel he's been given enough to justify and actor of his calibre.

Good point.

It's not Jaime. After the premiere last night, we know the very first scene this season is Cersei's flashback to Maggy the Frog and receiving her valonqar prophecy. I won't argue against the fact that Jaime's arc in FeastDance was a little stale, but he surely does have a major part to play going into the last two books: he is Cersei's valonqar.

We know George likes to toy with us when it comes to prophecies, and Cersei's is one of the more transparent he's introduced to us. At once it establishes what Cersei's motivations are and why she is so paranoid about everything, but it also shows to the reader that she is an ironic character. She believes without question that Tyrion is her valonqar and she becomes more convinced through the story that Margaery is the "younger, more beautiful queen." Hence she does everything she can to take both of them out of the picture. The readers know that her valonqar could be Jaime as well, as she is the older twin, and that the younger, more beautiful queen could be Daenerys, Arianne, or someone else. The irony is that Cersei's prophecy will come true not only in spite of all the things she has done to prevent it, but in large part because of those things, and that who the prophecy was truly referring to will not become clear to her until it has already happened.

If D&D had chosen to omit the valonqar prophecy, you could convince me that Jaime was on the chopping block, but with it's inclusion in Season 5 I am 99.9% sure Jaime is untouchable until his and Cersei's arc come to a close.

I personally love Jaime's AFFC chapters. They are probably my favorites in the series. They may seem stale to some people because there is not a lot of action, but from a character development standpoint I find them fascinating.

I think he has a major role to play is the coming books/seasons, and I would be shocked/crushed if he died.

I think it's Barristan. For a multitude of reasons in the story and outside as well. He fits the mold of this pissed off actor who didn't like being killed. And I say that because he's read all the books, he knows the story he's supposed to have, and he even knows about all the theories as well. I've heard him interviewed on some of them. And storyline wise it fits with what Benioff and Weiss like to do. They like to take out characters in a major one's orbit when new ones are coming to cut down on the amount of characters in a given story. Example, Pyp and Grenn to make way for Stannis and Melisandre around Jon. Jojen for Bloodraven.

I don't know what I can and cannot post about potential spoilers in season 5 in this thread so I'll just tag this:

Barristan and Grey Worm for Tyrion and Jorah

So, yeah. That's my reasons. I'll hate to see it though. Such a waste if it happens.

Bravo. I never even noticed that D&D were doing this. I'm in agreement that Barristan is likely, but so is Jorah. Fans would be way more upset about Jorah. I'd rather it be Barristan, because TV Jorah is a better character. IMO the only advantage TV Barristan has over Jorah is that he has a firsthand account of all the Mad King's atrocities. This is something Danny should absolutely know, but since Martin barely scratched the surface with this I'm not expecting much of anything in the show.

Hasn't it already been confirmed via an interview that the actor in question is part of the North Ireland set? Everything seems to point to it being Mance. Even the way the actor spoke in the interview sounded like Ciarin Hinds.

I personally love Jaime's AFFC chapters. They are probably my favorites in the series. They may seem stale to some people because there is not a lot of action, but from a character development standpoint I find them fascinating.

I think he has a major role to play is the coming books/seasons, and I would be shocked/crushed if he died.

I agree totally, they are very good character development chapters, but I can also understand why D&D may want to give him a more action oriented arc this season, as those chapters probably don't translate very well to a television audience. One thing they have to do no matter what this season is distance him from Cersei, emotionally speaking. One of the most puzzling decisions last season, I thought, was the love scene between them in Episode 10. Whether Jaime is in Dorne or the Riverlands makes less difference to me than that he comes to see Cersei for what she is, and that he ignores her pleas for help leading up to her trial, which I imagine will be set up by the end of this season.

No argument here as far as rumors of his death this season. I remain firmly convinced that the inclusion of the valonqar prophecy ensures his survival until that plot strand is concluded.

It's not Jaime. After the premiere last night, we know the very first scene this season is Cersei's flashback to Maggy the Frog and receiving her valonqar prophecy. I won't argue against the fact that Jaime's arc in FeastDance was a little stale, but he surely does have a major part to play going into the last two books: he is Cersei's valonqar.

Elio and Linda mentioned that the valonqar part wasn't in the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhggNMDru2I (6 minute mark)

I agree totally, they are very good character development chapters, but I can also understand why D&D may want to give him a more action oriented arc this season, as those chapters probably don't translate very well to a television audience. One thing they have to do no matter what this season is distance him from Cersei, emotionally speaking. One of the most puzzling decisions last season, I thought, was the love scene between them in Episode 10. Whether Jaime is in Dorne or the Riverlands makes less difference to me than that he comes to see Cersei for what she is, and that he ignores her pleas for help leading up to her trial, which I imagine will be set up by the end of this season.

No argument here as far as rumors of his death this season. I remain firmly convinced that the inclusion of the valonqar prophecy ensures his survival until that plot strand is concluded.

I still believe the Riverlands material will happen next season. David Bradley said he was coming back. Maybe Jamie returns to KL and Kevan gives him the down low on Cersei and he just leaves to handle the riverlands. Ilyn Payne can come back too because Wilko made stage 4 cancer his bitch.

Elio and Linda mentioned that the valonqar part wasn't in the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhggNMDru2I (6 minute mark)

I've heard that valonqar wasn't mentioned in the scene we will see in Episode 1, but remember that in AFFC, Cersei's first chapter only includes a portion of the prophecy and not all of it. Including the prophecy without the valonqar part makes not a bit of sense to me, so I imagine it will be a recurring flashback that will expand each time we see it, just like it is in the books.

I stand ready to eat a bowl of humble pie in June if I'm wrong, but I can't see them omitting the valonqar.

Archived