Police abuse thread 4: end police unions?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Interestingly, dashcam footage doesn't seem to be altered. I would think that if it could be altered by the police it would have by now. The thing that cops do is turn off the camera, but not alter or doctor the footage.

Interestingly, dashcam footage doesn't seem to be altered. I would think that if it could be altered by the police it would have by now. The thing that cops do is turn off the camera, but not alter or doctor the footage.

Or they don't give a fuck because an officer admitting he shot a man for going for a weapon that every other officer on the scene said has his hands up hasn't been charged. They don't need to edit because they know that in the absence of evidence they'll automatically be sided with. The risks of actively altering footage isn't worth the gain.

10 million interactions is nothing compared to, for instance, transactions done at WalMart. How many customers are killed by WalMart employees each year?

yes. because transactions at walmart and interactions with police are 100% comparable.

:rolleyes: .

yes. because transactions at walmart and interactions with police are 100% comparable.

:rolleyes: .

Of course they are not 100% comparable, but they are still comparable. In 2013, according to BLS statistics, there were 30 work-related homicides killing "Law enforcement workers", compared to 97 work-related homicides among "Sales and related occupations". Given that there are, I assume, far more people working in "Sales and related occupations" than in law enforcement, the risk is higher for the latter group, but not that much higher. Of course, for the next question there are no good statistics, but something tells me that the number of people killed by sales people feeling threatened in their stores does not reach four figures each year.

Of course they are not 100% comparable, but they are still comparable. In 2013, according to BLS statistics, there were 30 work-related homicides killing "Law enforcement workers", compared to 97 work-related homicides among "Sales and related occupations". Given that there are, I assume, far more people working in "Sales and related occupations" than in law enforcement, the risk is higher for the latter group, but not that much higher. Of course, for the next question there are no good statistics, but something tells me that the number of people killed by sales people feeling threatened in their stores does not reach four figures each year.

If you wanted something more analogous, you could compare this to say Taxi Cab Drivers.

Which, while tragic, is not analagous to what was being discussed. Which was, you know, kind of the point.

but.. Carry on.

I guess I need you to illuminate how it is not related.

There are too many laws that make too many criminals of nonviolent people. Then, there are too many police who think they're some kind of super hero who instigate conflict with said nonviolent offenders. Such super heroes are given incredible arbitrary power by the state, and over and over they often act in such a way as to perpetuate violence.

Yes, we should end police unions. Better yet, governments all over the world need to shrink to stop making criminals out of ordinary people, and then privatize the police so that their funding isn't guaranteed. Who wants to pay for the racist police? The religious Republican police? Democrat thought police?

What if people only payed for police that actually pursued only those worth spending money on pursuing: violent criminals. Not drug users, not people who carry a weapon for protection, or for having a broken tail light, or for having expired registration.

America is turning into a police state.

and then privatize the police so that their funding isn't guaranteed.

Yes, lets privatize law enforcement, because its worked out so well for the incarceration system. What could possibly go wrong?

The incarcerated are filled by the public police force with statutory criminals.

What you described is cronyism, sir.

Sorry if my sarcasm wasn't overt enough. I think privatizing law enforcement would be disastrous. Worse even than privatized prisons. At least now our law enforcement ostensibly answers to the public instead of corporations and shareholders. And even with that we have corruption and graft in pursuit of public funding and political ladder climbing. Imagine adding profit incentives and stock values into that mix.

Part of a profit motive is scouting a loss. Losses that would come from being a shitty police force that always gets its funding through theft of taxes.

You're adorable. Just fucking adorable. What happens when you take a group of armed men and tell them that they're supposed to police an area but don't get steadily paid? Even more so, your system inherently relies on competition between competing private police forces or there's no recourse at all. What happens when you take several groups of armed men and tell them that they're supposed to police an area "for the common good" but won't be steadily paid but instead operate on a fee-for-service? (For bonus points, tell me how that's at all different from a private army by whoever can afford to pay the most). Hint: see what firefighting services in the early days of US urbanization did. The free fucking market doesn't fucking work like magic fucking fairy dust.

e: I used to work for a private EMS company too. I was woefully under-equipped, under-trained, under-staffed, and we routinely were in breach of contract by stationing one ambulance to cover two areas (which is normally okay if you've got units/communication with other EMS to cover your area if you have to take the on-station unit out of service but we were contractually required to have one unit available at all times). We were worse, in every way, then the nearby city, and why we existed, I'm still not sure beyond non-emergent ground transport.

e:2 Actually, if not in breach of contract, at least on incredibly sketchy grounds. Either way, private EMS filled a niche that only exists because the public EMS which was far better, was underpaid and underequipped because of "theft of taxes!!!" shit.

Archived