[Book Spoilers] The Ides of Marsh or not?

NorthernBastard11

After watching the first episode it appears that Jon's arc is moving quickly and can assume that the LC will be picked and a certain someone executed in the next couple of episodes. Whilst I initially thought Jon's assassination would happen in season 6 I can now see it happening in this season, possibly episode 9. Which brings me to the question of who is going to carry it out, with Bowen Marsh not having a developed character in the show, I personally think the assassination may fall to our good friend Dolourous Edd. Do you guys think we will see it this season and does anyone have any ideas on who it will be?

After watching the first episode it appears that Jon's arc is moving quickly and can assume that the LC will be picked and a certain someone executed in the next couple of episodes. Whilst I initially thought Jon's assassination would happen in season 6 I can now see it happening in this season, possibly episode 9. Which brings me to the question of who is going to carry it out, with Bowen Marsh not having a developed character in the show, I personally think the assassination may fall to our good friend Dolourous Edd. Do you guys think we will see it this season and does anyone have any ideas on who it will be?

Keep an eye on the kid, the one whose family was killed by Tormund's raiding party and who Jon's taking the trouble to train with shield use. (And who may be outpacing Bran in the growth between seasons!) Watch his eyes when Jon pushes past him during Mance's execution. I'd say it's almost for sure that he's going to be the "Et tu Brute" element in the Ides. (Plus the symmetry of him killing both Ygritte and Jon is kind of cool.)

I'm kind of hoping that Alliser won't be involved. He's too obvious, and his dislike of Jon doesn't much resemble what motivated the assassins. But maybe they'll set up a grudging respect between the two to make Alliser's involvement more of a betrayal rather than an enemy finally finding his chance.

Keep an eye on the kid, the one whose family was killed by Tormund's raiding party and who Jon's taking the trouble to train with shield use. (And who may be outpacing Bran in the growth between seasons!) Watch his eyes when Jon pushes past him during Mance's execution. I'd say it's almost for sure that he's going to be the "Et tu Brute" element in the Ides. (Plus the symmetry of him killing both Ygritte and Jon is kind of cool.)

Interesting point, only just noticed that on a rewatch and is definitely something to look out for. I would be massively annoyed if it was Alliser as he could potentially be a view point to what lies beyond the wall in future episodes.

I actually think he is already beginning to acknowledge and respect Jon as LC already, shown when he ...

Spoilers because, well, why not:

Shhh ... careful, if you're talking about the scene I think you're talking about. The only episode that exists on this board so far is #1, remember? You may want to edit that out.

Spoilers because, well, why not:

Shhh ... careful.

Thanks for the heads up, but in regard to the additional post anyway, if Alliser was to carry it out I think it would really ruin the event as it no longer becomes as much a shocking betrayal and as I mentioned before him going ranging would present an excellent opportunity to go north of the wall outside of the venture to hardhome we have seen in the trailers

Do you really think Ollie is capable of such? He has no responsibility to the watch and could he really have such the audacity to say "For the watch" as I really hope the person who does do it says that. It would kind of just be uh a little boy has really motivated the nights watch to betray it's LC

Do you really think Ollie is capable of such? He has no responsibility to the watch and could he really have such the audacity to say "For the watch" as I really hope the person who does do it says that. It would kind of just be uh a little boy has really motivated the nights watch to betray it's LC

1. He's joined the Nightwatch. Didnt you notice he was recruit in this episode instead of a refugee.

2. He hates Wildlings .

Of course I noticed he was a recruit however I still question the notion that he would do it for the watch and betray Jon who seems to have taken him under his wing. The fact he can memorise the vows does not seem to mean to much to me personally, I think quite a lot of people know the vows, even those who are not part of the watch and the relationship that has been shaped with Ollie does not look like betrayal, but perhaps that's the point.

Hopefully the election brings Marsh in for a cameo, reckon they'll do it next season rather than the end of season cliffhanger, that way if Kit Harrington is in the cast it doesen't lead to speculation about what does or doesen't happen in WoW

Ollie seems to be a replacement of that man-whore guy, will probably play a role as JS steward

Hopefully the election brings Marsh in for a cameo, reckon they'll do it next season rather than the end of season cliffhanger, that way if Kit Harrington is in the cast it doesen't lead to speculation about what does or doesen't happen in WoW

Ollie seems to be a replacement of that man-whore guy, will probably play a role as JS steward

I think all courtesy to spoiling Winds of Winter has already gone by this point unfortunately.

Personally,I would end arc this season with Jon letting wildlings through the Wall after HH.Stabbing could be at earliest the episode 10,but it's entirely possible that it will happen in season 6(first half).I'm pretty sure that Olly will be involved somehow.Edd will die at HH(my guess). :frown5:

1. He's joined the Nightwatch. Didnt you notice he was recruit in this episode instead of a refugee.

2. He hates Wildlings .

3. Wildlings ate his parents.

I think Ollie's been dangled in front of our faces too much for him to have no part in anything. IMO, either he's in with the Ides or gets killed after Jon has grown close to him, either in that incident, or maybe at Hardhome? I doubt he's going to go on his merry way as a new recruit, unimportant to any plot.

Edd I think is probably going to die at Hardhome. Bowen Marsh is cast, so I think they'll still have him orchestrate the Ides, but his character development will either be little, or play out at lightning speed because he's just going into the show. Either way, with the pace of Wall plot, I would be shocked if the Ides didn't happen this season, 9th/10th episode.

The issue I have with a character like Ollie doing it is how are we supposed to believe he has the influence to convince other Night's Watch brother's to carry out that kind of attack. In the novels, Marsh was developed as a leadership figure within the Watch, albeit not necessarily a good one. He had many friends and followers, with the necessary influence to convince those to follow him. Ollie is a ten year old recent recruit. I also think Edd is too close to John. IMO a strong candidate, in the absence of them developing the Marsh character this season, is Ser Alliser.

I can see Alliser developing a grudging respect for Jon this season, perhaps to the point where a viewer could believe he's no longer the obvious choice. Then boom, Alliser leads the mutiny against Jon. But not because of the petty quarrels they've had in the past, but because (and I think the show has done a good job of showing us this), Alliser does truly care about the Watch. He just doesn't think Jon is the right person to lead.

I would bet money Episode 10 does not feature "For the Watch". They have never ended the show on a cliffhanger of that magnitude, and I doubt it starts now. It wasn't even supposed to be a book cliffhanger if I remember correctly.

If it happens this season it will be how Episode 9 ends, and we will get the Wind's spoiler of his fate, or at minimum a HINT at his fate that can be pieced together on what will happen (live or die).

I also doubt he wargs into Ghost sine the show seems so deadset on keeping Bran as the only warg. So Mel will either save him or not. A lot will depend if they decide to start throwing R+L=J clues in the show.

Archived