Dexter

Brude

I think Dexter is discovering emotions for the first time. I think he has them but they have been deeply suppressed or made dormant because of his early trauma, somehow. Knowing what we know now as of the last two episodes about what he went through, completely suppressing all of his feeling is probably the only way he was able to cope with what happened to him and what he witnessed. It was actually a defense mechanism, much like split personality disorder is a defense mechanism common among people who suffer severe sexual abuse as a child. It’s a way the young brain shifts problematic emotions and memories to the side so that it can get on with the main business of living a life. Unfortunately, in Dexter’s case, all of this suppression and the repressed memories comes out as a need to commit murders • probably as a means to try and deal with and understand whatever images are roiling in his subconscious. He probably would have been a lot better off if he simply went through therapy as a child and was allowed to deal with what he saw consciously back then. He might not then have the need to kill • to recreate what he went through upon others.

Guy’s a creep but the story does beg the question of what do you do with a creep like that who is essentially helping society by getting rid of other killers who are much, much worse because their victims are innocents? Sure, Dex would be going after innocents if he hadn’t figured out this outlet • but simple fact is he doesn’t; he only goes after the worst of the worst. I'm no fan of the death penalty, in the real world this certainly would bother me much more, but in a fictionalized world, where things can be much simpler and clear-cut, it's hard not to root for the guy.

What's really interesting at his stage, for me at least, is ot figure out the ice-truck killers motives. We as viewers know Dexter pretty well and his urges and how his father tought him and all that. But what about the ice-truck killer? he is not just another psycho mo-fo who needs to be killed. The whole thing of the show is that he is somehoe much more.

The three episodes leading up to tonights were really excellent, the best of the series so far, I think. Tonights, I don't know, I think it maybe wasn't as good but by now I'm totally along for the ride so I really can't tell if the quality is still up or if I'm just too sucked in. On the balance it's a good show, not a great one.

This, I mainly agree with. I thought the series had a good introduction with the first couple of episodes, then there were a couple of great episodes that got me hooked (the part where they are looking for the security guard. Ending of the fourth episode, where Dexter finds the guy, is just perfect in almost every aspect.) The kinda-filler episodes in between were quite good as well and then, they amped it up once again as Brude said. Before the last episode, I was thinking "If they can keep this up, this is going to be a great great show."

I have to admit, I was a bit letdown by the last episode, though. The way Dexter figured out the identity of the killer was a total disappointment. The whole thing went down in 1 episode as a result of a bunch of coincidences, not to mention the fact that the way Dexter made the connection is way too improbable. It still had good character development, suspense, acting, etc.. but the mystery solving part was lacking sorely.

Completely baselesss prediction: Ice truck killer is Dexter's long lost brother. He has to have some prior connection to Dexter to become so obsessed with him and to invest so much time and energy. Otherwise, once serial killer discovering the other by sheer coincidence would be too much. To go completely crackpot, I would say they were both together when their mother was hacked into pieces, hence his obsession with body parts (maybe ITK was hiding or somesuch). He grows up to be a psycho, looks for Dexter, sees that he is normal, tries to understand how Dex could be normal while he's so fucked up himself, becomes obsessed, starts following him around, finally discovers the secret.

What's really interesting at his stage, for me at least, is ot figure out the ice-truck killers motives. We as viewers know Dexter pretty well and his urges and how his father tought him and all that. But what about the ice-truck killer?

SPOILER: my crackpot theories
Much like aeu, I think Dex and the Ice Truck Killer (ITK) are connected via the massacre, somehow. Their is a connection in the pathology of their obsessions - for Dex it got manifested in the blood (he was in a room filled with blood for days), for the ITK it's cutting up bodies into parts (and totally removing their blood - making the killings clean instead of messy) and we saw that the mom was about to be killed with a chainsaw, probably cut up into pieces. Dex also cuts up his bodies, though that seems to be more about careful disposal than a part of the pathology of the act. The blood is what's key with him - hence the cut on the cheek and keeping the samples. Either way, though, blood is a part of the crime for both - either keeping the blood or removing the blood, making the body bloodless. So, I think ITK was traumatized by the same killing and I think it's possible that he and Dex are half-brothers, ITK talks about his mom's death a few times. They don't look enough alike to be full brothers, though they also need-not be related. There was at least one other woman killed in that massacre, we saw from the newspaper clip Dex finds. That might have been the ITK's mom. Why his obsession with Dex? I don't know. It might just be that he feels they are deeply connected because both were essentially "created" by the same horrible event.

Yeah, I thought the last episode was solid. Again, there were some unrealistic moments about how the cops figured stuff out like how they got the match on the fingerprints. But the acting was solid as was the character development, IMO. Plus a couple of small cliffhangers for a new season. All told a good debut series and I'll definitely check out the second season.

• 7 months later...

I found the first two episodes of Dexter on the internet...was kind of surprised, didn't think it started showing until later in the year. My only real gripe is that they've changed the young actor who plays Cody...otherwise, me likey! Looks like it will be a great second season, albeit not really based on the book at all...

Sir Thursday

Dexter's one of those few shows that I think is a better TV show than book. The books are good and hit most of the same beats, but I found every change in the show to be for the better. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Well, I just caught the leaked first two episodes of the new season and it's just as good as the first! No spoilers on my end, but this'll be a great season.

Though it doesn't look like it'll follow Dearly Devoted Dexter whatsoever

That's fine by me. Dearly Devoted Dexter was terrible.

Agreed. I wasn't thrilled with Dearly Devoted... but I did think the bad guy (Dr. Danko?) could have been pretty awesome if handled differently (ie - better). I wouldn't have a problem with it at all if they took the good parts of the book and just went their own way with it - the way they did Season 1.

I think I agree with you guys in saying that the TV Series is an improvement on the books...the added depth to the story and the fleshing out of some of the other characters really improves the tale.

Didn't realise that the two episodes that are up were leaked...it's a shame, I'd got my hopes up thinking there would be a new one every week for me to watch, but apparently I have to wait until the end of September :(.

I suppose it's possible that the plot of Dearly Devoted could be worked into the story somehow...but the first two eps don't really have anything in common with it. It will be interesting to see how it pans out - I have my theories about what's going to happen, although I'm not sure I should really discuss them here for fear of turning the page into a Spoilerfest.

Sir Thursday

I like Dexter, but after seeing The Wire, other cop shows just seem unbearably phony to me. The writers on the Wire have gone through so much effort to show police work as it is actually practiced, that when you watch shows that just mail it in in that regard, it's a real turn off.

While I agree that The Wire is a better show, I also feel that Dexter i so different that it doesn't suffer too much in the comparition. Where The Wire is more interested in creating a believable and realistic pciture if the lives of criminals and police work, Dexter is more interested in playing with genre tropes of police shows and to some level vigilante stories like Batman.

Anyway, they're both two of my favourite shows.

It's like comparing margaritas and red wine. Two very different ideas that contain alcohol.

The Wire is compelling, realistic - but the opening credits of Dexter have more visual style than the entire run of the Wire.

There are things to enjoy about both. Dexter's just a more snarky, tongue-in-cheek tone compared to the Wire. Because both have some cops in it doesn't really make them comparable.

My point is that Dexter could have basically the same storyline without being totally unrealistic with regard to police work. It has nothing to do with them being stylistic, but rather with them just doing enough research to be adequate, rather than accurate.

this show just came to our on demand. i saw ads for it on tv when i was in scotland, and it looked pretty good.

i didn't read too much of this thread, because it seemed to start discussing the actual plots and stuff, and i want to check it out for myself.

weeds is another one i want to check out. we get that on our showcase channel, but i never know when it's on. is a full season out on dvd now? maybe i'll rent it.

Archived