Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Is that eligible this year? Or are my timelines all messed up again. But yes it should, but I don't think its scifiy enough for either, uh, political movement or traditional hugo voters.

If you mean Mount Char, yes, it's eligible. Published June 2015.

Finally got back to The Dark Forest, second installment of Three Body Problem. I had to put it down until my spring break because I couldn't give it the attention it deserved.  

I love this book.  It had none of the pacing problems of Three Body Problem and the underlying commentary on the human condition is incredible.  I perused some discussion from Chinese readers and several have said that the third installment is even better.  I don't know if I can even imagine that.

If you had trouble with Three Body Problem, read this anyway.  As long as you have the basic premise from Three Body, you'll be able to follow this one easily.  It is a time eater.  I've been reading for two solid days, periodically taking breaks to get up and shout at nobody.  Some of the passages in this book have HURT me.  I have about 150 pages left.  

22 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Finally got back to The Dark Forest, second installment of Three Body Problem. I had to put it down until my spring break because I couldn't give it the attention it deserved.  

I love this book. 

Interesting. I started it, but it didn't grab me. And then I was so tired of cramming Hugo hopefuls that I gave up on it at least for a while. Now I'm wondering if I should get back to it before the nomination period closes. Hmmm.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 9:53 AM, David Selig said:

I just read this novelette by Dale Bailey - The Ministry of the Eye. I highly recommend it. Interesting premise, evocative and precise style, deeply moving story. You can read it for free from the link.

That was beautifully horrifying.

Currently chewing through The Fifth Season.  My brother is reading the Illuminae files (occasionally aloud to me). The format of Illuminae is pretty neat, but as a heads up, it's YA.  That realization helped A LOT.

I'm still thin on related works, fancasts and fanzines.  If y'all have favorites, please share them.

On 3/27/2016 at 10:46 AM, Contrarius+ said:

Interesting. I started it, but it didn't grab me. And then I was so tired of cramming Hugo hopefuls that I gave up on it at least for a while. Now I'm wondering if I should get back to it before the nomination period closes. Hmmm.

Even if you can't get to it in the next three days.   Dig in.  It picks up around page 50 or so.  Once I got back to it, I ate it and it took me three days.  Some of the passages are really difficult to swallow.  I had to think about them for a while.  I also bored all of my non-science friends half to death talking about some of the ideas presented.   It's great.  Pacing is much better than Three Body.  

1 hour ago, DreamSongs said:

Uprooted, The Library at Mount Char and SevenEves will be making the list.

I never could get into the Three Body Problem.  Brief explanation needed :)

Ha!  Well it is hard sf at it's best.  There's a point within a VR video game where a character creates a human powered computer.  There's a reference in The Dark Forest to the Travelling Salesman Problem.

Imagine if someone wrote an epic novel that speculated wildly into everything you knew about medical science, everything you liked to read about medical science and threw out things you never even imagined and then wove them into the nature of humanity and came up with the opposite conclusions that you might.  For me, The Dark Forest was that book.  Except with physics and math instead.

My provisional ballot:

Best Novel :

Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey

Luna : New Moon by Ian McDonald

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovky

Novella:

The Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell

Penrics Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold

Short Story:

Three Cups of Grief, By Starlight by Aliete De Bodard (not really sure what the right category is for this).

Best Dramatic Presentation (Long)

Ex Machina

Mad Max : Fury Road

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Humans (Season 1)

The Martian

Best Dramatic Presentation (Short) - I'm finding it hard to remember what came out when and am probably forgetting things

Doctor Who : Heaven Sent

Game of Thrones : Hardhome

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell : Arabella

Agents of SHIELD - 4722 Hours

Agent Carter - The Iron Ceiling

Here are some novellas available online, if somebody is missing things to nominate  at 11th hour:

The Bone Swans of Amandale, by C.S.E. Cooney
The Pauper Prince and the Eucalyptus Jinn, by Usman T. Malik
Sleeping Dogs, by Adam-Troy Castro
Waters of Versailles, by Kelly Robson

The Citadel of Weeping Pearls, by Aliette de Bodard - this one you have to request from the author, apparently.

And these were the Asimov's Magazine reader's choice award finalists, that I have already posted a link to earlier (and didn't like all that much,on the whole, but a lot of people seem to), so why not:

Inhuman Garbage, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
The Long Wait, by Allen M Steele
The New Mother, by Eugene Fischer

On the Night of the Robo-Bulls and Zombie Dancers, by Nick Wolven

A Thousand Nights Till Morning, by Will McIntosh

Archived