This episodes Title is "Hardhome" - Meaning?

rayarts

It probably relates to all the characters being treated badly where they are and having a tough time, as well as the wildling city.

Sansa being maltreated in Winterfell and planning her escape. Dany being miserable in Meereen having to agree to marry Hizdar, Cersei being imprisoned and Kevin telling her that once she gets out she is being sent back to Castlely Rock. Doran laying down the law to Trystan, Arya being beaten some more, Tyrion and Jorah doing their slave jobs. I don't think there will that much going on in other arcs if the battle takes place in this episode so probably just a few minutes to remind us where the characters are and a small detail which makes the situation they got themselves into in the last few episodes even worse.

They have said that a Battle of Hardhome is going to be a major set-piece this season. Episode 8 is late enough for that. I expect a least a fight between Night's Watch, Wildings, and White Walkers. If the battle happens in EP 8 then more stuff ("For the Watch") can happen in EP 9 or 10.

Yeah, there could have been a more poetic title there : "Dead Things in the Woods" would have given away too much but something like "Ice and Blood" would have rocked !

Except for House motto's, have they ever come up with a good episode title?

"The Wolf and the Lion"

"You Win or You Die"

"Baelor"

"A Man without Honor"

"Valar Morghulis"

"Walk of Punishment"

"The Rains of Castamere"

"Two Swords"

It probably relates to all the characters being treated badly where they are and having a tough time, as well as the wildling city.

Sansa being maltreated in Winterfell and planning her escape. Dany being miserable in Meereen having to agree to marry Hizdar, Cersei being imprisoned and Kevin telling her that once she gets out she is being sent back to Castlely Rock. Doran laying down the law to Trystan, Arya being beaten some more, Tyrion and Jorah doing their slave jobs. I don't think there will that much going on in other arcs if the battle takes place in this episode so probably just a few minutes to remind us where the characters are and a small detail which makes the situation they got themselves into in the last few episodes even worse.

I agree with Sansa. All this stick around at Winterfell for revenge is going to turn into, "I got to get the hell out of here before something really bad happens to me".

It was usually a default-choice to suggest Hardhome.

I maintain than an idea like "Blood and Ice", although spoilery, would have been way more memorable and poetic.

"The Watchers on the Wall" was spot-on as well as "And Now His Watch is Ended."

If Jon has been elected commander in the premiere "And Now His Watch Begins" would have been nice, but well, I'll stop here, this is not the title spec thread (damn, I love speculating on those !)

As for Hardhome, well, yeah apart from the obvious, it's also, as pointed some post above the meaning that a lot of characters will be in tough moments, but for our (presumably) first big real encounter with the threat beyond the Wall, I would have liked something more poetic.

The tension in the books was certainly build for a pivotal stage.

Remains to be seen if it will indeed be a massive pivotal set-piece in the show or just a way to put up some battle scene. But I have faith that they didnt choose to show us Hardhome for nothing.

Archived