I wrote an accessible GamerGate article...thoughts?

A facile argument. A significant portion of golfers are heterosexual males, and they've been cooking up ways to keep women out of their clubs for centuries. If you honestly believe your argument then I suggest you need a refresher course on systemic sexism. The point for GGers is not to keep women out of their lives, it's to put women "in their place", i.e. subservient to men.

Fair point about about gentlemen golf clubs. But the only ways they ever cooked up were putting up a sign that says "no women allowed" right under the sign that says "no blacks allowed".

Based on what I've observed about GG, I think it's more about keeping people out who say things they don't agree with or dont want to hear.

Rather than the claim of a plan to make women in general subservient to men. Or that its just a cover for people who have a fetish for stalking and harassing women in general.

Gamergate stopped even pretending to be mainly about gaming journalism many months ago. Now it's about bravely fighting the evil SJWs everywhere, mostly "achieved" by whining endlessly about the evil feminists on Reddit and Twitter and being outraged over all kinds of minor culture wars stuff, 90% of which has nothing to do wtih gaming.

I've stopped even trying to engage eyenon on topics surrounding feminism and misogyny because as a 38 year old man (I think) he's absolutely clueless. No offence eyenon but you just don't really know what you're going on about with topics covering misogyny; sometimes i even think you're making self-deprecating jokes that are being lost on us all but heterosexual men are not nice to women all the time bcus they like having them around and to find it unbelievable that theres a significant amount of men that DO NOT LIKE WOMEN and enjoy harrassing them because they DO NOT BELIEVE they belong in the same circles i.e gaming says more about you really and that's that you really haven't a bloody clue.

I'm confused, in this engaging me or not?

no my argument is that heterosexual men typically don't want people out of their lives just because they are women.

The reasons for that vary from everything from having sex to just enjoying their company.

Tons of reasons there.

You've never met a heterosexual guy that took out his sexual frustrations by developing a hatred towards women? Maybe I just had shitty friends when I was younger but it's shockingly common amongst young men.

@leap - there comes a point where it's just tone policing. Why should anyone be polite to someone who's defending, minimizing, or whitewashing shitty behavior?

I think Adam Baldwin, a highly educated man (and brilliant actor may I add) adds the most to this Gamergate conversation. While none of you are half as smart and clever as he is. Theda, why are you so misandrist anyway? What is your problem with discussing Gamergate? It is a legit movement to stop corruption in the gaming industry

You've never met a heterosexual guy that took out his sexual frustrations by developing a hatred towards women? Maybe I just had shitty friends when I was younger but it's shockingly common amongst young men.

So they say "No one will fuck me so I'm going to go play my game, and I better not have any women come play it with me?"

"They better not play or make any other games either! Not just my game" ?

So they say "No one will fuck me so I'm going to go play my game, and I better not have any women come play it with me?"

I don't know. I'm just making an observation -- the most misogynistc dudes I've met seem to have that in coommon. Maybe it's not the cause, I certainly wouldn't phrase it like you did. Probably more like "I'm sexually frustrated, and anonymous on the internet, so when I can be private or anonymous I will channel my sexual frustrations into misogyny." I don't think it's a conscious thing, the human psyche is pretty bizarre.

I think Adam Baldwin, a highly educated man (and brilliant actor may I add) adds the most to this Gamergate conversation. While none of you are half as smart and clever as he is. Theda, why are you so misandrist anyway? What is your problem with discussing Gamergate? It is a legit movement to stop corruption in the gaming industry

Joke account, I hope?

Who is this guy? I kinda like him; he really gets satire.

"They better not play or make any other games either! Not just my game" ?

Yep, basically. Are you unfamiliar with how misogyny works?

Idk, maybe it is just a front for people who enjoy harrassing and stalking women, not sure why one couldn't just harass and stalk a women without joining GamerGate though.

It will be interesting if GG ever does evolve into something really positive.

At a certain point I would think it doesn't matter how it began, movements and their names get hijacked all the time.

Does it really matter that the Klu Klux Klan was started as something positive?

After a couple of hundred years of that white power shit it's kind of irrelevant what the purpose the initial creators had in mind was.

Idk, maybe it is just a front for people who enjoy harrassing and stalking women, not sure why one couldn't just harass and stalk a women without joining GamerGate though.

Are you unfamiliar with how mob mentality works?

Are you unfamiliar with how mob mentality works?

Fuck no, I see it on this forum everyday.

I'm not singling this place out mind you, i wouldnt be here if i had that much contempt for the place.

just that here is no different than anywhere when it comes to mobbing up.

So yeh, I'm pretty familiar with it.

Fuck no, I see it on this forum everyday.

I'm not singling this place out mind you, i wouldnt be here if i had that much contempt for the place.

just that here is no different than anywhere when it comes to mobbing up.

So yeh, I'm pretty familiar with it.

Well then how are you unsure why misogynists might want to join the GamerGate mob? Or how the GamerGate mob might embolden people to act in ways they otherwise would not?

Bcus i want to build a castle with the bones of all the men i've crushed beneath my misandrist boot heel. The moat surrounding the castle will be made from the tears of mens rights activists.

interesting how u pick out the girl in the thread to target hmmmmm.

Well then how are you unsure why misogynists might want to join the GamerGate mob? Or how the GamerGate mob might embolden people to act in ways they otherwise would not?

The charges of who joins and the reasons keeps changing.

one says it's just for people who enjoy stalking and harrassing women

one says it's about making women subservient to men.

while a person who enjoys these things will likely be a misogynist.

a misogynist doesnt necessarily have to enjoy these things.

I'm having trouble understanding why gamers, who a significant portion are heterosexual males are interested in harassing and stalking women out of gaming.

They don't women out of gaming. I've seen a sensible argument that they like women in gaming as long as they leave out their identity and join the sub-culture completely, which mirrors the gate-keeping we have seen in other geeky cultures eg fake geek girl. Considering a lot of gamergate is focussed on destroying the people who critique the (perceived) culture and people who want to make it more inclusive (especially women) that analysis seems to make sense.

Archived