Eddard Stark should not have executed Gared

TimJames

Why do you assume that? Bran gives zero details, only that it's a lengthy exchange. Don't be confused by the show.

I do not assume anything. This is a book. The information is there for us to interpret.

I read the prologue and then I read the chapter. What happened in the prologue is not fully explained to Ned or as far as the reader is concerned, anybody else.

I do not assume anything. This is a book. The information is their for us to interpret.

I read the prologue and then I read the chapter. What happened in the prologue is not fully explained to Ned or as far as the reader is concerned, anybody else.

Well, then apparently Ned and Gared had a lengthy exchange about ...what? Even the weather would lead to the Others.

BAWN - perhaps, but law is law. Gared knew that and instead of warning his brothers at CB he fled south. It was only when he was caught that he began mumbling about WW"s.

For all we know, he planned to run as far as Dorne and live there without telling a soul. Not only did he desert, there was a possibility that he left CB open to a surprise assault. As I stated above, there are larger consequences here that need to be considered. It isn't a simple case of desertion.

You seem to be under the impression that I am defending the actions of Gared. I am not! He abandoned his brothers when he could have warned them of the impending danger. He deserted his brothers because he was afraid (or so it seemed).

My argument is that Ned could and should have learned more from him before he executed him.

You seem to be under the impression that I am defending the actions of Gared. I am not! He abandoned his brothers when he could have warned them of the impending danger. He deserted his brothers because he was afraid (or so it seemed).

My argument is that Ned could and should have learned more from him before he executed him.

Ok my apologies.

Perhaps Ned assumed that CB knew?

Well, then apparently Ned and Gared had a lengthy exchange about ...what? Even the weather would lead to the Others.

What? Did you read the books? There was no talk of the weather. Are you trying to be clever in some way? If so could you dumb it down for the rest of us please.

What? Did you read the books? There was no talk of the weather. Are you trying to be clever in some way? If so could you dumb it down for the rest of us please.

A lengthy conversation between Ned Stark and Gared. Bran didn't hear any details, but he notes that "questions were asked and answers given". What do you assume they talked about?

Ok my apologies.

Perhaps Ned assumed that CB knew?

No need to apologize, we are just talking about a book that we love.

Ned should assume nothing. He is (was) The Warden of The North and the Lord of Winterfell.

A lengthy conversation between Ned Stark and Gared. Bran didn't hear any details, but he notes that "questions were asked and answers given". What do you assume they talked about?

Well Ned did nothing of note after said conversation so you might be right. It must have been the weather, Winter was coming after all.

Apologies about that last comment. I'm just reading it and it looks a lot worse than it sounded in my head.

I don't think the question of if Gared was telling the truth about the Others or not had anything to do with Ned's decision to execute him. Like many have posted before me, Gared did not return to the Wall but instead continued South. That is still desertion of the Night's Watch and Ned upheld his duty.

There were questions asked and answers given there in the chill of the morning, but afterward Bran could not recall much of what was said.

It can't be said Ned didn't do his due diligence in both questioning Gared and then executing him. We don't know what was said exactly but clearly it was not enough to stop Ned from doing his duty.

The Night's Watch is it's own political entity. Jeor Mormont should have been the one to make the final call.

Did Gared even tell Ned why he runnoft? It's been a while but I don't remember dude talking before he got shortened.

It's easier to send a head than a desperate man with nothing to lose back to the wall.

You send dude back to the wall under guard he might bite off Harwins ear or something then that's on you.

I guess if Gared had made a cogient statement about what he saw to Ned then Ned probably should have taken Gared for a pow wow with Mormont and Benjen but if not he is just another deserter.

Also fuck Gared. He could have at least told someone in the watch what he saw before he buggered off.

Eddard was playing a proper and traditional role ie executing NW deserters. Remember Ryswell who sent his own much loved son back for execution.

However Ned showed a lack of awareness and a "sothron" complacency regarding the Others and all matters beyond the wall. He SHOULD have listed more to Gared. Jon at 14 had a better innate understanding of the man's sheer terror, and Bran too seemed understand very well for a 7 year old. Ned was lovely fellow but not especially far seeing or wise for the unusual. Robb was not especially good and Theon hopeless.

Ned's MUCH more serious "crime" was beheading Lady, for which I believe the old gods punished him.

Eddard was playing a proper and traditional role ie executing NW deserters. Remember Ryswell who sent his own much loved son back for execution.

However Ned showed a lack of awareness and a "sothron" complacency regarding the Others and all matters beyond the wall. He SHOULD have listed more to Gared. Jon at 14 had a better innate understanding of the man's sheer terror, and Bran too seemed understand very well for a 7 year old. Ned was lovely fellow but not especially far seeing or wise for the unusual. Robb was not especially good and Theon hopeless.

Ned's MUCH more serious "crime" was beheading Lady, for which I believe the old gods punished him.

Hmmm, Ned was raised in the Eyrie y'know. He isn't as 'Northern' as people imagine therefore he wouldn't be as superstitious. Ned did more for the South than he ever did for the North.

Eddard was at the Eyrie from 8-18. At 18 he went to a tourney then soon after found himself in Roberts Rebellion. He returns to the North long enough to see his first-born mature then runs back South again for Robert's sake. You speak about him as if he were a Wull or Norrey.

Ned did his Duty. No more, no less.

I understand the frustration, I really do. Gared seemed like a decent chap to be honest, he shouldn't of abandoned the Watch. End of.

I understand the frustration, I really do. Gared seemed like a decent chap to be honest, he shouldn't of abandoned the Watch. End of.

Wait, what?!

Mutiny, murder, desertion, that's the mark of a decent chap? Well, he only did one out of three, as far as we know, but the rest was on the table.

Wait, what?!

Mutiny, murder, desertion, that's the mark of a decent chap? Well, he only did one out of three, as far as we know, but the rest was on the table.

Fair point. I hesitated writing that. I just remember feeling a ping of sympathy for the guy. His Commanding officer was obnoxious, he witnesses WW, runs for his life then Ned chops his floppy head off.

Eddard was at the Eyrie from 8-18.

Wrong. Edd was not nailed to the Vale. Else, how did he find the time to meet his siblings, especially Lyanna? George confirmed that Ned visited Winterfell often.

“The king’s law grants me the power of pit and gallows.”

It was Egg who answered her. “On your own lands,” the boy insisted. “The king’s law gives lords the power of pit and gallows on their own lands.”

“Clever boy,” she said. “If you know that much, you will also know that landed knights have no right to punish without their liege lord’s leave. Ser Eustace holds Standfast of Lord Rowan. Bennis broke the king’s peace when he drew blood, and must answer for it.”

Even the most minor Lord legally has the right to execute a deserter of the NW if he finds him in his own lands.

Archived