Will we see this season the battle of Winterfell?

MiloStark

I really, really think hat they are going to follow the books on this one. This annoys me, as it does others, but I think it works dramatically.

What we know:

D&D have been hyping Stannis as a heroic figure this season, about 10x as much as the books. The audience REALLY wants him to win.

Futhermore, Shireen (who we LOVE) is going, too, and she is a completely darling girl, we fear for her safety.

Hardhome is the big battle in the North we have heard of, no signs of a Winterfell battle.

- The last we will see of Stannis is when Brienne/Sansa/Theon reach their camp.

- Jon will get the pink letter, and the audience will really think Stannis lost (I know I did - at first - when I read).

- The audience will be completely behind Jon's attempts to take Winterfell, and his stabbing will be horribly crushing. Stannis', Jons', Sansa/Theon/Brienne's fates will all be in limbo.

They can't have Battle of Winterfell before Jon gets stabbed, because the audience will not be "with" Jon (they will have info he doesn't have). There is a reason that GRRM wrote it that way - we completely empathize with Jons' state of mind upon receiving that letter.

We don't know if there will even be a pink letter. In the books Jon doesn't go to Hardhome. In the show however he does and there is a battle there. With how other things have been changed I could see the pink letter dropped also, especially since Mance is not in Winterfell.

Stannis will be in battle because it shows him bloody. Brienne will be in battle too. Same place ? I think the end of the season there will be a battle at Winterfell and if Sansa makes an escape, it will be then.

Well If the past is any hint we won't see anything. The battle is not in any POV in the book. The pink letter is all we know of. It says that stannis is defeated. There is the pre-release chapter where Stannis speaks with theon..... people seem to think that means Stannis survive. I am not sure we can be 100% sure of the timeline. GRRM says we cannot assume that the chapters are in any way sequential.

Remember what they did with battle of Fist of First Men. Mist with sounds of clanging of pots and pans in the backround. After 5 seasons audience is captivated so why should they bother to waste budget on that rather then keeping $$ for themselves

I've got little evidence to back it up but I think we'll see a battle at Deepwood Motte, but no battle of Winterfell/Ice this season. I think that'll be season 6 material. What little I have is based on IMDB credits for Yara's actress being in future episodes, which makes me think Stannis will go there on his way down to WF, and take her prisoner. From there, I imagine he'll face some difficulties with the weather getting more wintery, and possibly run into fugitives from WF (a.k.a Sansa, Theon, Brienne, Pod), and he'll take charge of Theon as well.

I fucking hope so, I am genuinely invested in this one and I've been waiting too long all for the sake of another shitty cliffhanger. Sorry, but I am a selfish reader

If there is a major battle, it will be in episode 9. In every season so far the major event has been in episode 9; Ned's demize, the battle of the Blackwater, the red wedding, the battle at the wall - all episode 9. Episode 10 is always used as a reaction setting to recap, wrapping up any subplot and for each major charachter to outright state their next move.

One exception being the purple wedding, but since it was covert the whole season had not been building towards it.

Archived