Others too weak for end game?

SerBert

Yes yes 1st things 1st I'm of the assumption the Others will not line up in single file (most likely will be spearheaded by Santa so he gets nice and close before the NW suspect anything) meaning the Others will most likely attack the many miles of unprotected wall.

I don't know this for sure but while the normal wights wear clothes which would be flammable to an extant, the bears would most likely not be flammable depending on how dry their skin is i guess. Santa has no chance with his big read coat though tbh. (The wildlings covered their battering ram in animal skins)

Obsidian caltrops sounds cool..... If only the others didn't being massive snow storms with then that should cover these. Plus the others walk over snow without "breaking" the ground. Also as far as we know the NW only have a little obsidian so to throw any obsidian off the wall is pretty much the same as waving a white flag!

Also heat is a fuel for fire if it gets cold enough fires won't mean much. Considering we have a huge ice block that hasn't melted in hundreds of years it's safe to say it's cold enough without the Others bringing their snow magic.

The NW is in an okay position but ultimately I see the battle of the dawn happening around winterfell or even the neck. Just a guess though.

I think wildfire will make all the difference. If it can melt stannis then it could melt the sun.

(Man power)

The others :weakness dragon steel/valarion steel

White walkers : weakness dragon glass/frozen fire

Leagons of the undead/whights :weakness fire

(Weapons)

Ice magic

Ice wepons

Metal wepons

(Beasts)

Ice dragons

Swarms of ice spyders

Leagons of undead beasts/whights

I don't know thay seem pretty powerfull.

Also you seem to make it so : "Once we got the dragons, it's "game over""=> We don't have dragons and dragon ridders, and they have no fighting experience whatsoever. Besides, we still don't know if they are cause or effect of the magic of the world, just like the others might be cause or effect of the magic and/or winter. But it seems they all are linked to magic, so it seems as much as the dragons are growing, the others should become more powerful.

If it is true that the Others are the main threat and we just haven't seen their full power yet, I think that makes them a badly written antagonist.

A well written antagonist is antagonistic throughout the entire plot. LF, for instance, is a well written antagonist. The Iron Throne is a well written antagonistic thing. The Boltons are well written antagonists, as is/was the Mountain. The Others are not.

Why? Is the general shape of his original plan really all that different?

Probably.

He started the idea in '92, wrote that summary in '93, and published the first book in '96. IMO his real overall plan would only have been solid as he finished the first book - so he can have all the foreshadowing actually make sense.

Also, if that summary was canon they wouldn't have released it to the public.

Probably.

He started the idea in '92, wrote that summary in '93, and published the first book in '96. IMO his real overall plan would only have been solid as he finished the first book - so he can have all the foreshadowing actually make sense.

Also, if that summary was canon they wouldn't have released it to the public.

Part was blacked out, so clearly they thought some was still canon

In the past there were dragons in westeros, try to imagine who killed them.

And if ice dragons do exist, Danny dragons will be nullified.

About the wights, its not necessary that an other or a wight to kill a human to turn him or her into a creature. Just the cold.

Look at the case of Tormund's son, or the girl Varamyr tried to take control-the same that have gone Berserk and killed herself . Neither were killed by them, and both turned into wights.

If every corpse touched by the cold become a wight, the others could attack anywhere . They won't need to wait for the main wight army to attack.

And with so much bodies from the war of the 5 kings, and the upcoming dance o dragons 2.0 their numbers will increase.

An entire wildling population + Giants/Mammoths + Wargs trying desperately to go south of the Wall is an others-too-weak-for-end-game ?

Wildlings have tasted only a small measure of the Others and their powers .

And why the hell are people so sure that Dany and her dragons will beat them , three young , untrained dragons during a long night with freaking winter blizzards .

In GRRM's world we see how dragons are vulnerable , dragons ten times bigger and older than Dany's get kill by human hand , and have trouble flying during storms ( which is a summer time compared to what is coming ) .

And someone mentioned fire arrows :rofl: , well good luck starting a fire in an unnatural winter + how the hell will they find their target ( Asha can't even see whats moving 20 meters from here ) and it's autumn kiss according to Big Bucket Wull .

So all in all , I think humans don't have that much of a chance against The Others . :devil:

The Others do not seem to be able to fight flying creatures and fire seems to have some effect. The others have the capacity to generate huge numbers as the falled enemy rise and join their ranks. You know, there are similarities to them the wights and the Iron Born. What is dead, may never die. What rises again is stronger etc.. creepy.

and all the "ice dragon" talk is merely a slain, wighted dragon.

Say Daenerys takes westeros, she does it flawlessly without casualties? All those killed at her hand sit back up.

Dragons do not equal invincibility -- nothing can stop death itself, the more she kills, the less chance she has of winning.

I'm surprised so many people think the Others are the biggest big bad.

Not that they aren't going to be racking up a body count but I think the real bodies hitting the floor are going to be on account of the mad queen and her living WMD.

In fact I think the others might actually be coming to save the world from daenarys.

I'm surprised so many people think the Others are the biggest big bad.

Not that they aren't going to be racking up a body count but I think the real bodies hitting the floor are going to be on account of the mad queen and her living WMD.

In fact I think the others might actually be coming to save the world from daenarys.

Boom. thank you. And, they built the wall, dont trust that night's watch propaganda

I'm of the opinion that if the Others were a big deal, they'd have tried to pull off their second Long Night centuries ago. What makes them dangerous isn't numbers, as if there were an army of them, they'd have used it, but the fact that no one remembers how to deal with them.

The Wall and Night's Watch were meant to keep them back, to safeguard the realms of men. It can't be a coincidence that the Others are popping up right when the Night's Watch is at its lowest point in history. Just look at the Waymar Royce duel. The Others were cautious. They gauged his weaponry, and tested him in a one-on-one fight rather than swarm him. He was part of their confirmation that they had been forgotten, that when they tried to move south, they would have easy pickings.

Sam kills one. One. And the Others have been quiet for the last two and a half books. They've been harassing the Wildlings, but they haven't finished them off, which ought to be a priority really, and would be easy if they had an actual army worth mentioning. They're either being sadistic about it, or they don't have the power to do it. They couldn't even stop a portion of Mormont's couple-hundred from breaking their lines and retreating from the Fist, which should have been an easy retreat to block considering the geography allows only one side as a route. They're growing stronger obviously, with each death, and the approaching winter, but they also strike me as being deeply cautious, and not that powerful in terms of the scale of Westerosi armies.

The danger they represent is as an unknown party ready to swoop down on the war-ravaged Westeros. They don't seem able to beat armies, which means it's great for them that by the time they arrive there won't be an intact army left to face them, as by now everyone is running through their second-stringers to put through the grinder.

The Others use zombies as cannonfodder. Every unburnt corpse works in their favor. They don't need to feed or clothe or heal their people. Humans, meanwhile, are weak, divided, freezing, starving. In what world are the Others and wights not enough of a threat? That they can be killed makes it distantly possible that humans might survive them.

Archived