If show concludes before novels.....

Bee Diddie

It looks like The HBO series concluding the song of ice and fire books is an inevitability now. If it does, will you still tWoW and aDoS? I can honestly say I probably won't.

When the second season was broadcast I was upset by all the changes from book to screen....but after watching the first five episodes of S5, I have come to appreciate the short cuts the showrunners are taking. I do not enjoy Dany's long meandering conquests across the narrow sea, I didn't feel the introduction of the other Aegon and the Iron Island storyline (while pretty cool to read) was really neccesary, not to mention whatever the Martel's revenge plans are. GRRM has went on record as saying he's told the producers how it all turns out in the end, so there will be no big surprise revelations coming from the last two books.
I understand it's GRRM's perogative when he chooses to finish a aSoIaF, but after what? 15 years and the last two (possibly 3) novels nowhere in sight, It's clear Martin feels he owes his readers nothing and maybe he's right....I don't see myself bothering to read them.

not sure if this is a troll post or not.....

Giving the benefit of the doubt.

I will of course read it, as Martin has said entire plot points will/may be different. Also I appreciate both forms of the story each catering to its median (book.tv)

The show will finish, it will basically confirm the bulk of what most of us have worked out anyway and we'll read the books regardless, because by that point the two will be so different it just wont matter

Yes, as I think the majority of people here will as well. Definitely sad that the show will end before the books, but will still 100% read them, probably multiple times, there will be so many plot resolutions I want to figure out that aren't in the show, example - (f)Aegon. Probably a few that end differently, or end the same but use vastly different mechanisms to get there.

For the majority of readership who knows, but for readers that spend their free time posting on threads dedicated to the books, they will probably atleast read the last 2.

Def going to finish the books. I enjoy the show as the show and the books as the books, and the elements of the books not present in the show makes the journey to the end different enough that if I didn't want to read the books after seeing the show ending, eventually I would anyways to see how things get resolved.

It would kinda suck knowing what happens in the end whilst reading the books but as long as they have still got top quality prose I will still read them. If they go to absolute shit (Knowing the ending) I probably won't.

Strange as I was just thinking - "where has my need/addiction to ASOIAF gone?" The show is beginning to satiate my need of all things GOT. A few weeks ago I would of for sure said that I will absolutely read the final 2 books if/when they are published. But something strange has happened as the show begins to reveal all of the secrets that I have wanted to learn as a book fan for years now. GRRM missing his window as this is no longer his story to tell. That privilege belongs to HBO and the Beinoff and Weiss.... Sad. Truly sad.

Archived