Why is Cersei different?

What Tyrion did to Shae was the exact opposite of cold blooded. And he didn't rape Illyrio's girl. He did sleep with the hooker in Volantis though.

Having said that, Cersei is the way she is because we need a villain. Also, if everyone was the same as their family members, it would be a boring existence.

Because she's a woman maybe?

If Cersei were a man, she would receive a tenth of the hatred she gets. Most people on the anti-Cersei bandwagon are men themselves. Sad in this day and age.

Tyrion is a misogynistic rapist. Jamie is a child murderer. How is Cersei worth less than them? A lot of her cruelty comes from paranoia and vindictiveness (that's partly justified by Joffrey's murder). She lives in a cutthroat world and acts accordingly, just like many of the other characters. Her father has a similar outlook.

She also has a lot of guts, which people never seem to give her credit for instead lambasting her as 'arrogant.' How dare a woman be authoritative?!

Holy shit. Take a deep breath. Cersei's actions put her just below the Ramsay and Gregor class, not her sex. Don't turn everything into a reason to whine and complain.

This is probably not going to be a popular opinion but I believe the answer to this question is in ASOS chapter 71 (Daenerys VI):

"King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

People say Cersei never had a mother to raise her but when Joanna died weren't the twins 9? The same age Arya is when she is separated from her mother? I would think Joanna had at least some influence on the twins.

And Cersei is clearly a sociopath in my opinion. It is difficult to say why people are like that while there are clearly influences that can be seen in Cersei's life.

If Cersei were a man, she would receive a tenth of the hatred she gets. Most people on the anti-Cersei bandwagon are men themselves. Sad in this day and age.

Tyrion is a misogynistic rapist. Jamie is a child murderer. How is Cersei worth less than them? A lot of her cruelty comes from paranoia and vindictiveness (that's partly justified by Joffrey's murder). She lives in a cutthroat world and acts accordingly, just like many of the other characters. Her father has a similar outlook.

She also has a lot of guts, which people never seem to give her credit for instead lambasting her as 'arrogant.' How dare a woman be authoritative?!

You have a very good point here. However, the way the books are written, Cersei is an unabashed villain. We are supposed to feel some sympathy for Jaime and Tyrion, because despite all their evil, they did a good thing here and there. Cersei is evil because she never does anything good at all.

Some people are just born sociopaths. Some people are just born arrogant. Some people jut happen to be born privileged assholes. If those three were a pie chart, Cersei would fall on the small section where all three overlap.

I agree to a point although arrogance and "privileged aholes" is more of a fostered trait from terrible parenting.

Sociopaths, however, have something wrong (different) with them. Those who move from sociopath to psychotic, i.e. Gacy, Bundy, etc are truly terrifying individuals.

Cersei is a spoiled, bitchy brat with a twist of sociopathic tendencies.

Ramsay is a the closet thing to a serial killer in Westeros, and is definitely psychotic. But I am convinced the entire house is riddled with sociopaths considering they get their jollies off by flaying people.

Tommen is just fluffy.

Please stop playing the "people hate this character because she is a woman" card.

The bold is pure BS and speculation. Not to mention the assumption that only men dislike her, and on top of that those who hate her like her male counterparts. These are complex characters, and while they share traits, they have many of their own. We might cite her "bitchy and arrogant" attitude as a reason to dislike her, but there are likely other reasons and it has nothing to do with her sex. That is an absolutely absurd assertion.

I happen to think the Boltons and Freys are larger POS in the series. I dislike Cersei because I simply don't like her. If I liked the Lannisters, then I would probably like her. I love the Starks, so her role in their demise is the chief reason that I despise her. Having said that I appreciate her character, because I find her to be a well done semi-villain. Just as her father.

Gregor needs to go as well, he is large piece of dragon feces. I dislike him for his actions as much as I dislike Cersei for her "mouth". She is arrogant, he raped and slaughtered children.

You have a very good point here. However, the way the books are written, Cersei is an unabashed villain. We are supposed to feel some sympathy for Jaime and Tyrion, because despite all their evil, they did a good thing here and there. Cersei is evil because she never does anything good at all.

I may not label her evil, but the fact that she cares little for the people around her and how she hurts them is one of the reasons I dislike her.

Some people are just born sociopaths. Some people are just born arrogant. Some people jut happen to be born privileged assholes. If those three were a pie chart, Cersei would fall on the small section where all three overlap.

Actually if my old sodden brain and basic psychology classes eons ago serve me sociopaths are made and psychopaths are born.

I could be wrong but I think by definition no one is born a sociopath, rather its their socialization that leads them to exhibit similar behaviors as a psychopath who is born missing that basic part of humanity.

Or maybe I am just old and brain damaged.

Actually if my old sodden brain and basic psychology classes eons ago serve me sociopaths are made and psychopaths are born.

I could be wrong but I think by definition no one is born a sociopath, rather its their socialization that leads them to exhibit similar behaviors as a psychopath who is born missing that basic part of humanity.

Or maybe I am just old and brain damaged.

No I think you are right.

At first I thought this was a bunch of feminazi (not sure if I have ever used that word but there it is) crap but then I thought about it.

I think there might be something to it. Paternity fraud (next to castration) is literally the worst thing you can do to a man and pretty much the first thing we find out about Cerseis character is that she is fucking someone besides her husband and (later confirmed) that she has put a paternity fraud as his heir which is even worse than plain paternity fraud.

I think her character plays on the primal fear, that tiny little voice in the back of every mans head that, maybe, just maybe, that child you spend your time and resources on isn't carrying your genes.

Women can never understand that fear and how horrifying the concept is and thus can't have the same kind of distaste for Cersei, at least the not same "flavor" of distaste if you can excuse the pun.

So I don't think its her womanhood that increases her dislike among male fans, but I think her crimes (crimes that can only be committed by a woman) can only fully be appreciated and reviled by male fans.

I think that Cersei definitely has sociopath tendencies and then because of her status it only makes it worse. I think she is also is obsessed with the prophecy that she was told and that is dictating some of her actions. She claims that everything she does revolves around her children but in the grand scheme of things, they are on the back burner for her sometimes. She is approaching Mad King status

At first I thought this was a bunch of feminazi (not sure if I have ever used that word but there it is) crap but then I thought about it.

I think there might be something to it. Paternity fraud (next to castration) is literally the worst thing you can do to a man and pretty much the first thing we find out about Cerseis character is that she is fucking someone besides her husband and (later confirmed) that she has put a paternity fraud as his heir which is even worse than plain paternity fraud.

I think her character plays on the primal fear, that tiny little voice in the back of every mans head that, maybe, just maybe, that child you spend your time and resources on isn't carrying your genes.

Women can never understand that fear and how horrifying the concept is and thus can't have the same kind of distaste for Cersei, at least the not same "flavor" of distaste if you can excuse the pun.

So I don't think its her womanhood that increases her dislike among male fans, but I think her crimes (crimes that can only be committed by a woman) can only fully be appreciated and reviled by male fans.

Hahahaha this was great!

She's the only one who ever wore a crown. I hate to say it, but I'm not sure Jaime or Tyrion would be that different if they were ever royalty. Fortunately, they never were, so I still have 2 Lannisters that I can like (well, 3--let's be honest, Tywin was a badass).

Jamie might be the best of all the Lannister children. The only really cruel thing he does is shove Bran out a window, an act done out of self-defense. If Bran talked about what he saw, it could lead to the deaths of Cersei, Jamie and their children. Did Lord Stark love his children? No less than Jamie loved his (except Joffrey!)

Cerise just seems so selfish and spoiled. She runs rough-shod over all of Tywin's well laid plans, jeaprodizing the extremely valuable alliance with Highgarden, and she just doesn't care. She goes on and on about being the "female Tywin" but she makes no effort to learn about the politics or status of the various kingdoms. She just seems like an emotionally immature and stunted woman, a high school queen bee in a grown woman's body.

As for her feminist credentials? Please tell me what they are. She is complicit in Sansa's forced marriage to Tyrion, blames Lollys for her own rape and has Falyse and other women given to her mad scientist. She is not a nice lady

Archived