GRRM doing a reading of The Winds of Winter this weekend at ConQuest

The Show so diverges from the Books that we won't be spoiled.

Obviously the small details yes, but the major points will stay the same. Besides they admitted to spoiling a few things, I am sure they would not say that unless they knew for a fact that some of the content is from a unpublished book.

I know I am in the minority on this one, but even if it is only the major plot lines I would rather not be spoiled. There will be a ton of small detail in the books, characters not mentioned in the show, etc, but the major characters are probably going to end the same way as the books, even if they take a different path.

No, he said he was skipping a convention in July and one in November IIRC... not that he wouldn't go to any others

Yes you are correct, he said he was not attending two major cons that he normally visits (or maybe he doesn't normally attend...), and I think he said something about focusing on the book until it finishes.

I doubt my first comment has any weight to it, and like I said it is just me being naive on that front. But if Martin's word can be trusted and he begins popping up at different places, maybe it means that he is much closer to being finished and has the time.

This means some lucky people get to hear a new chapter. GRRM can't write 24/7. He deserves some fun time.

It doesn't. Bear in mind he was reluctant enough when it came to releasing

Alayne I

and did so only at his editors urging. He will probably read an already released or read chapter, possibly the one I mentioned

ETA: he has never done a reading of

Mercy, either. Fwiw

[mod] Stick to the topic, please. The topic is GRRM doing a reading. It is not the TV show, the release date for TWOW, or anything else. [/mod]

The point about GRRM having released the Alayne chapter recently is an interesting one. He just released new material (that apparently he didn't want to judging by some of these posts). Has he ever read the same "new" chapter at multiple events? Like would he say that he's going to do a reading, and then it turns out not to be anything new? Because it seems to me if he was just going to read something that was already released, he'd have said "I'm going to read Alayne/Theon/Barristan/etc."

So with that in mind, possible chapters we could get if it's something new:

Cersei - preparing for her trial (maybe watching Robert Strong practice in the yard), receiving word that Kevan and Pycelle are dead

Bran - advanced tree reading lessons with Bloodraven (but no "reveal" ones)

Sam - his first maester lessons/revealing to the Citadel that the Others are real and the Watch needs help

Victarion - killing people during the battle of Meereen, teaming up with Barristan

Jon Con - preparing to take Storm's End through guile, Aegon's coronation

I think he'll stay away from people like Theon, Asha, Dany, Jon, and Mel because they have too much to possibly reveal (Stannis dead/not, Dany enslaved/khaleesi again, Jon dead/not etc.), and probably stay away from Tyrion because he's already had 2 chapters.

The point about GRRM having released the Alayne chapter recently is an interesting one. He just released new material (that apparently he didn't want to judging by some of these posts). Has he ever read the same "new" chapter at multiple events? Like would he say that he's going to do a reading, and then it turns out not to be anything new? Because it seems to me if he was just going to read something that was already released, he'd have said "I'm going to read Alayne/Theon/Barristan/etc."

So with that in mind, possible chapters we could get if it's something new:

Cersei - preparing for her trial (maybe watching Robert Strong practice in the yard), receiving word that Kevan and Pycelle are dead

Bran - advanced tree reading lessons with Bloodraven (but no "reveal" ones)

Sam - his first maester lessons/revealing to the Citadel that the Others are real and the Watch needs help

Victarion - killing people during the battle of Meereen, teaming up with Barristan

Jon Con - preparing to take Storm's End through guile, Aegon's coronation

I think he'll stay away from people like Theon, Asha, Dany, Jon, and Mel because they have too much to possibly reveal (Stannis dead/not, Dany enslaved/khaleesi again, Jon dead/not etc.), and probably stay away from Tyrion because he's already had 2 chapters.

He has done it the opposite way around I believe. He read Barristan, or it may have been Tyrion, and then the chapter was released in written form.

I don't think he usually says what the reading will be beforehand btw. Usually just what it is from (this was mostly relevant pre-WOIAF, when he did some readings from that). So there is nothing to say it won't be "old" (I.e. Already read/released) material. Which would cover

Victarion

Barristan x2

Tyrion x2

Arianne x2

Sansa

Arya

Andy, if it is to be something new, I'd suspect the only other chapter he has offered to read from Winds

Aeron

Some of your choices are far too spoiler-y. Sample chapters are usually set-ups without a big reveal. Something to whet the appetite, so to speak

Yeah I agree my first thought was that Damphair chapter with some "messed up" things in it. He wanted to read it one time, so why not this week end?

Although it's entirely possible that he'll read something already released since he wants to release TWOW as soon as possible and he seemed to be done with teasing with new chapters after Alayne.

You think he's been writing 24/7 for the past four years? He just buckled down to get the book done in earnest late last year. Anyways, I'd prefer to have a book instead of "luckily" getting a chapter.

But GRRMs going to do what he wants to. Whenever he gets the book out, we know it'll be great. I guess that's more than we can ask of anyone.

No. Who could?

It doesn't. Bear in mind he was reluctant enough when it came to releasing

Alayne I

and did so only at his editors urging. He will probably read an already released or read chapter, possibly the one I mentioned

ETA: he has never done a reading of

Mercy, either. Fwiw

Good point.

It´s going to be an ironborn chapter. Aeron probably.

That´s my guess. But I remember he really wanted to read Aeron for some reason, I guess it must have some intriguing hints about the magic of the world without revealing much.

A JonCon chapter would be amazing, but I wouldn't mind that one either. After all, it's got "some pretty twisted stuff" in it, according to GRRM. And if GRRM calls something "pretty twisted," it must be pretty damn interesting.

It´s going to be an ironborn chapter. Aeron probably.

That´s my guess. But I remember he really wanted to read Aeron for some reason, I guess it must have some intriguing hints about the magic of the world without revealing much.

This, I forget what the other option was but at a previous reading he had the audience pick between A or Damphair and really urged the latter but they picked person A.

I would be interested to here what he has been up to on the islands.

I'm more of a lurker here, but that doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan of this beautiful book series. I love this shit as much as the next guy but fuck, guys. The dude is going out of his way to talk to fans, read to them and is generally being a great person, especially considering some of the shit his fans put him through. So he takes his sweet time writing his huge fucking books, who cares. The endgame is still gonna be the same, the ending to ASoIaF isn't going anywhere, stay level headed about this stuff, you can't rush books.

And I realize most guys here at the forum are great fans and patient, but I just see a lot of shit talking on here (sometimes) and over at Reddit (a lot).

Archived