[Book and Show Spoilers] Things looking better for Stannis after tonight

Did you see the pictures of

Selyse, lying in the snow (still alive before you ask). I see this as being one of two things. Either she is persuaded by Mel to burn Shireen, they do it, and she is distraught as she realises what she has done, or, she attempts to burn her, is stopped by Stannis, and he pronounces some grim sentence on her (maybe death, imprisonment, she will burn or whatever

So I am a little unsure at this stage whether I think Shireen will be burned, or whether it will just be an attempt.

No, I haven't seen this. Thanks.

Given the producers' love of shocking scenes, I suspect it will be the former. You can't get more shocking than a young girl being burned at the stake.

The Show seems very much to take the view that by enlisting Melisandre, Stannis made a deal with the devil. As she said, in Season 2, 10:-

"You will betray the men who serve you; you will betray your family; you will betray all you once held dear. And, it will all be worth it."

No, I haven't seen this. Thanks.

Given the producers' love of shocking scenes, I suspect it will be the former. You can't get more shocking than a young girl being burned at the stake.

The Show seems very much to take the view that by enlisting Melisandre, Stannis made a deal with the devil. As she said, in Season 2, 10:-

"You will betray the men who serve you; you will betray your family; you will betray all you once held dear. And, it will all be worth it."

great catch ...Stannis as Night's king theory looks more possible to me now..i mean after betraying everyone and his family what will be worth it ...how can he be satisfied if he sits the iron throne after killing nearly everyone closer to him

now i am starting to believe that stannis may make the decision to burn shireen ..but the only problem with this is the Selyse lying in the ground shot from trailer ..

i was thinking that she and Mel will burn her without stannis knowledge and brought infront of stannis

great catch ...Stannis as Night's king theory looks more possible to me now..i mean after betraying everyone and his family what will be worth it ...how can he be satisfied if he sits the iron throne after killing nearly everyone closer to him

now i am starting to believe that stannis may make the decision to burn shireen ..but the only problem with this is the Selyse lying in the ground shot from trailer ..

i was thinking that she and Mel will burn her without stannis knowledge and brought infront of stannis

And Varys "The Dark Arts have provided Lord Stannis with his army, and brought him to the gates of the City. The thought of a man in service to such powers sitting the Iron Throne.........I can think of nothing worse."

Like all those who make a deal with the devil, the true cost only becomes apparent later.

Melisandre and Selyse may burn Shireen without Stannis's agreement. Or his desperate army may force him to burn her, to bring them victory.

And Varys "The Dark Arts have provided Lord Stannis with his army, and brought him to the gates of the City. The thought of a man in service to such powers sitting the Iron Throne.........I can think of nothing worse."

Like all those who make a deal with the devil, the true cost only becomes apparent later.

Melisandre and Selyse may burn Shireen without Stannis's agreement. Or his desperate army may force him to burn her, to bring them victory.

another nice catch and yes i agree one must pay the cost for the deal..

What does Mel say when davos asks that Shadows are dark ...for that Mel responds that without light one can get a shadow and so its not dark magic...i dont know the exact quote ..i hope you get what iam talking about

but we know stannis had lost his light and hence his shadow too as we see in HOTU

Stannis may decide to do it for the greater good ...after all he did say " what is the life one bastard against a kingdom " maybe he now decides " what is the life of his daughter against the kingdom"...

we do know Stannis make a difficult decision in episode 9 from its synopsis

but iam now wondering if stannis did make the decision to sacrifice shireen...how will he do it in the books ...

the only thing i found interesting was MLADEN theory about Aegomenon/stannis parallels

Something with Selyse though. She didn't want to bring Shireen north and she said to her on an earlier episode "you have no idea what people are capable of". She also gave a pausing stare at Mel when Mel said scars matter nothing to the Lord of Light and then she ran away. We are being led to believe that Selyse dislikes Shireen and therefore may be willing to burn her. I'm wondering if maybe she was trying to protect Shireen from a vision she saw in the flames (last season or the season before there is a scene where Mel has her look into the flames and Selyse makes this really weird face as she does). Show twist may be that Selyse gets or at least tries to get Shireen away from Mel.

Something with Selyse though. She didn't want to bring Shireen north and she said to her on an earlier episode "you have no idea what people are capable of". She also gave a pausing stare at Mel when Mel said scars matter nothing to the Lord of Light and then she ran away. We are being led to believe that Selyse dislikes Shireen and therefore may be willing to burn her. I'm wondering if maybe she was trying to protect Shireen from a vision she saw in the flames (last season or the season before there is a scene where Mel has her look into the flames and Selyse makes this really weird face as she does). Show twist may be that Selyse gets or at least tries to get Shireen away from Mel.

The bath scene last season left no doubt in my mind that Selyse would be willing to burn her

Did you see the pictures of

Selyse, lying in the snow (still alive before you ask). I see this as being one of two things. Either she is persuaded by Mel to burn Shireen, they do it, and she is distraught as she realises what she has done, or, she attempts to burn her, is stopped by Stannis, and he pronounces some grim sentence on her (maybe death, imprisonment, she will burn or whatever

So I am a little unsure at this stage whether I think Shireen will be burned, or whether it will just be an attempt.

I really hope I'm wrong but I am convinced that they're going to have both Stannis and Jon "die" in episode 9, then in episode 10 Mel advocates that burning Shireen will bring Stannis back only for the twist to be when Shireen is burnt it cuts to the wall and Jon's eyes open and then fades to black.

The scene you refer to could then be a reaction to either Stannis dieing or Shireen being burnt.

The bath scene last season left no doubt in my mind that Selyse would be willing to burn her

I'm not making any prediction. I just think with the way they have portrayed her this season they are leaving it such that anything she does could be plausible (i.e. there won't be any where-the-hell-did-that-come-from moments whatever she should do). She is clearly ashamed of Shireen: not a son, greyscale, and seemingly just different temperaments. Burning her alive though may just be a bit too much for her because, after all, she is their only child and sole heir to House Barratheon. But it wouldn't be inconsistent with her character either.

i think maybe it will be Mel who decides to abandon Stannis and leave for wall...Selyse may try to stop her from going but but mel goes thats why she is in ground crying..

and in episode 9 stannis is dead or injured so Selyse tries to take matters into her own hands and sacrifices Shireen

Book Stannis will win for sure. However, it's pretty clear D&D dislike him, so I won't be too surprised if they change events and have the Boltons win.

Unless D&D resurrect Greyjoy story arc and create Euron as a new villain, they need Ramsey to be that monster/antagonist that Joffrey was. So for now, Ramsey is safe, unfortunately.

I think people are forgetting Davos' role in all of this. The actor who plays Davos said his opposition to Melisandre comes to a dramatic head before the season is over. If Melisandre/Selyse/Stannis/whoever try to sacrifice Shireen while Davos is still alive, he will definitely rescue her or die trying to. I could easily see any number of scenarios in which Davos kills Melisandre, Melisandre kills Davos, Davos kills Selyse, etc.

Now of course it's possible that this all goes on while Davos is away, but I see his role being key. It would also pose an incredibly interesting scenario as to what Davos' punishment from Stannis would be if he kills Melisandre.

I think when Davos hears about potential sacrifice of Shireen, he tries to sneak out with her a la Gendry but this time gets caught by Melisandre

D&D have said the last scene of the season is from the books.

I really hope I'm wrong but I am convinced that they're going to have both Stannis and Jon "die" in episode 9, then in episode 10 Mel advocates that burning Shireen will bring Stannis back only for the twist to be when Shireen is burnt it cuts to the wall and Jon's eyes open and then fades to black.

The scene you refer to could then be a reaction to either Stannis dieing or Shireen being burnt.

If the last scene is directly from the books, it can't be Jon's eyes opening since its not in the books. My guess the last scene of this season is the last scene from the books of either Jon or Dany

Stannis is mortally wounded. Melisandre attempts to resurrect him with blood magic and the sacrifice of a king's daughter. "Lord of Light, give us back our hero. Return the chosen one." Selyse stands beside her, madness filling her eyes as she begins to realize that it's not working. For all their praying Stannis remains dead.

Meanwhile at the Wall, the real hero wakes up.

It wouldn't be very good, but I could see something similar happen in the show.

My theory from another thread:

Frankly I think it's going to get very messy for Stannis. I don't see Shireen being burnt but I do see her being killed. I think Melisande and Selyse are going to attempt to do this, Davos may well attempt to prevent them and will die as a result, Shireen dies anyway.

Stannis will then intervene killing both Selyse and finally Melisande, Melisande will become his Nissa Nissa when he plunges his sword through her heart, after all what better temper for a flaming sword than the life blood of a red priestess? Her head will adorn the ramparts of Winterfell after Stannis defeats the Boltons thanks to this copious shedding of blood (remember Dany's pyre?).

There won't be much left to Stannis following these events he either becomes Winter's King or Azor Ahai reborn, but he will be a sort of zombie was no feelings only with steely ambition and determination. I think he will get to sit the Iron Throne albeit very briefly and then he will be put down.

Stannis is mortally wounded. Melisandre attempts to resurrect him with blood magic and the sacrifice of a king's daughter. "Lord of Light, give us back our hero. Return the chosen one." Selyse stands beside her, madness filling her eyes as she begins to realize that it's not working. For all their praying Stannis remains dead.

Meanwhile at the Wall, the real hero wakes up.

It wouldn't be very good, but I could see something similar happen in the show.

Or Mel deliberately chooses which one she will revive... as I've already said, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Wrong. Even if stannis decided to support renly it would still cause frequent civil wars in the future, every time a king died.

I also think stannis earns the bit of pride he has. He has done much for his family, way more than his younger brother, and that is part of the reason why its all so upsetting to him, he's done all he could for his family and was the most responsible baratheon and yet he is being cheated out of what was rightfully his.

For stannis to disregard all that and bend his knee for his younger brother would have been mental suicide, he would never be able to reconcile that with himself.

Not necessarily wrong, because neither of us can say so with such definitive certainty. Stannis just wanted his brother's troops so he had him murdered. He wanted the throne more than he wanted his brother. I don't exonerate Renly but being as he didn't sell his soul to a sorceress or covertly plan fratricide his hands died somewhat cleaner than Stannis' will. In short Stannis jeopardised the whole Baratheon claim by fighting his own brother - a fight he could only win through murder. All point to Stannis' arrogance and pride, sure enough. They also show that to get power he will do anything. ANYTHING. Here's a final point... Stannis must have known Renly's personal preferences. How hard would it to have been to come to a deal whereby Stannis be named Renly's heir? Sure, it probably would have still ended up in murder, but by then the Baratheons would have flattened the Lannisters and reunited the kingdom.

Archived