[Book and Show Spoilers] Things looking better for Stannis after tonight

I don't think that's clear at all. Is it clear? How so?

Seriously? How about:

• Greatly reducing his role in s02 even and beyond- I doubt he appears in more than half the episodes between s02-s04
  • Going out of their way to cut material that makes him look sympathetic (the story about the falcon, the whole thing with the peaches, Renly flat-out saying he wants Stannis dead, he just doesn't want the corpse mutilated, etc);
  • Also going out of their way to change events from the books to make him look less sympathetic- for example, in the books he has his father in law killed because he was trying to sell him out to Tywin, in the show he has his brother in law killed because he doesn't worship the Red God;
  • Also greatly reduced his insistence in following the law- in the books, he kills Mance because he is a deserter of the Night's Watch, in the show because he won't bend the knee;
  • Making him clearly power-hungry, while in the books he flat-out says he doesn't want to be King, but that's his duty.

And so on, I'm sure there's more. They also gave interviews when they say he would be an horrible King.

Most interesting part for me was Mel confirming she will walk the battlements at Winterfell but I suspect it may not be after a Stannis victory!

I thought this was interesting too, and I thought about the notion that Mel's fire visions are often murky and/or misinterpreted... then I thought of how that vision could be misinterpreted, and in the same episode we see a hooded red head walking the battlements at Winterfell: Sansa. Just a thought...

Seriously? How about:

• Greatly reducing his role in s02 even and beyond- I doubt he appears in more than half the episodes between s02-s04

Going out of their way to cut material that makes him look sympathetic (the story about the falcon, the whole thing with the peaches, Renly flat-out saying he wants Stannis dead, he just doesn't want the corpse mutilated, etc);

Also going out of their way to change events from the books to make him look less sympathetic- for example, in the books he has his father in law killed because he was trying to sell him out to Tywin, in the show he has his brother in law killed because he doesn't worship the Red God;

Also greatly reduced his insistence in following the law- in the books, he kills Mance because he is a deserter of the Night's Watch, in the show because he won't bend the knee;

Making him clearly power-hungry, while in the books he flat-out says he doesn't want to be King, but that's his duty.

And so on, I'm sure there's more. They also gave interviews when they say he would be an horrible King.

Well, they've tried to rectify that this season so far. Putting him at the Wall with Jon helped a lot. And they've gone out of their way to make him more sympathetic, well beyond the books I'd argue, with his fatherly affection for Shireen.

Of course if all this is just set-up for him accepting Mel's offer and sacrificing Shireen then you are defintely correct. But I don't think he will. Mel or Selyse will probably move on their own even without his consent.

Stannis doesn't know that he did this. He believes that Brienne killed Renly. Stannis saw the shadow killing Renly in a dream but he dismisses it as a dream. You have him on adultery though.

None of this is right except for the last sentence. I don't know where you got any of the other stuff. Good imagination I guess.

What could "break the internet" on ep. 10:

- Stannis' army defeats the Boltons. Maybe he receives surprise reinforcements led by the Blackfish or the Greatjon.

- Stannis himself dies, maybe by Brienne's hand.

- Mel and Selyse panic and burn Shireen to raise Azor Ahai from the dead.

- Nothing happens to Stannis, but at the wall Jon opens his eyes.

- Roll credits.

I think it'll be Jon. I think they will end up Season 5 with that. Internet -meaning mostly the Unsullied part of it- goes insane.

Actually, it could be more of a twist. Stannis is about to burn Shireen at the same time the events on the Wall are occuring. Jon is apparently gone. Stannis decides everything goes to hell at the last moment, saves Shireen, puts a sword through Mel's heart. Jon opens his eyes when Mel dies. Stannis rides for battle. End of season 5.

As for Mel's seeing herself walking the battlements of Winterfell, I like the theory she assumes it's her, but it's Sansa.

What could "break the internet" on ep. 10:

- Mel and Selyse panic and burn Shireen to raise Azor Ahai from the dead.

I've got money on something like this playing out. Mel would burn Shireen behind Stannis' back if she thought it was necessary, and Selyse will do anything Mel says. Oh, and hates her daughter. My main questions are 1) will it work, and 2) what's Stannis going to do to them when he finds out?

I've got money on something like this playing out. Mel would burn Shireen behind Stannis' back if she thought it was necessary, and Selyse will do anything Mel says. Oh, and hates her daughter. My main questions are 1) will it work, and 2) what's Stannis going to do to them when he finds out?

Re .1) Sadly, yes.

Re.2) If this happens, Stannis will kill both Melissandre and Selyse.

I think people are forgetting Davos' role in all of this. The actor who plays Davos said his opposition to Melisandre comes to a dramatic head before the season is over. If Melisandre/Selyse/Stannis/whoever try to sacrifice Shireen while Davos is still alive, he will definitely rescue her or die trying to. I could easily see any number of scenarios in which Davos kills Melisandre, Melisandre kills Davos, Davos kills Selyse, etc.

Now of course it's possible that this all goes on while Davos is away, but I see his role being key. It would also pose an incredibly interesting scenario as to what Davos' punishment from Stannis would be if he kills Melisandre.

I think people are forgetting Davos' role in all of this. The actor who plays Davos said his opposition to Melisandre comes to a dramatic head before the season is over. If Melisandre/Selyse/Stannis/whoever try to sacrifice Shireen while Davos is still alive, he will definitely rescue her or die trying to. I could easily see any number of scenarios in which Davos kills Melisandre, Melisandre kills Davos, Davos kills Selyse, etc.

Now of course it's possible that this all goes on while Davos is away, but I see his role being key. It would also pose an incredibly interesting scenario as to what Davos' punishment from Stannis would be if he kills Melisandre.

We could have our cake and eat it too if the battle begins with the Boltons attacking Stannis' camp. That'd put the front lines close enough for Davos to rush over and try to put a stop to the burning.

GoT logic is bad guy wins, not losing guy wins.

Stannis army is dwindling.

He will not listen to melisandre, her fears will come true, he will die since he fuckin will not give up Shireen

How is that GoT logic? Honestly what bad guy has really "won"? The Lannisters? They're practically on life support. The Boltons? They're sitting on a rabble of northerners who want to eat them alive.

Its funny because people focus so much on the good guys losing that they forget that people do get their comeuppance in this universe. Its never just one or the other. The wheel turns.

As for Stannis's fate, I think he's going to win. I worry for Shireen but I'm not worried that he's going to be the instrument Mel wants him to be in her sacrifice, he IS going to be the instrument in avenging her.

He'll plunge his sword into Mel's chest, his Nissa Nissa and....ohhhhhhhhhh.......

I think it'll be Jon. I think they will end up Season 5 with that. Internet -meaning mostly the Unsullied part of it- goes insane.

Actually, it could be more of a twist. Stannis is about to burn Shireen at the same time the events on the Wall are occuring. Jon is apparently gone. Stannis decides everything goes to hell at the last moment, saves Shireen, puts a sword through Mel's heart. Jon opens his eyes when Mel dies. Stannis rides for battle. End of season 5.

D&D have said the last scene of the season is from the books.

Hang on a mo' how about Melisandre as Nissa Nissa killed by an enraged Stannis after he discovers she's sacrificed Shireen?

Honest, wrote this just before reading the post above...

Melisandre on the ramparts of Winterfell? That'll be her head...

Seriously? How about:

• Going out of their way to cut material that makes him look sympathetic (the story about the falcon, the whole thing with the peaches, Renly flat-out saying he wants Stannis dead, he just doesn't want the corpse mutilated, etc);
  • Also going out of their way to change events from the books to make him look less sympathetic- for example, in the books he has his father in law killed because he was trying to sell him out to Tywin, in the show he has his brother in law killed because he doesn't worship the Red God;
  • Also greatly reduced his insistence in following the law- in the books, he kills Mance because he is a deserter of the Night's Watch, in the show because he won't bend the knee;
  • Making him clearly power-hungry, while in the books he flat-out says he doesn't want to be King, but that's his duty.
the worst thing was the edric/gendry stuff.

Book Stannis struggles for half a book, resisting and even mocking selyse and Mel, while kings actually die "probing" mels power. Even with the third king dead, its not entirely clear he would had made the call. Secondly Stannis is the one who pardons davos, and leaves him unpunished for smuggling the boy. He even seams relieved!

Tv show stannis is a trigger happy, ready to burn the kid with one king randomly dead, and so pissed with davos, that the poor onion knight would had ended with his head chopped if it was not for mels intervention

I would put my money on Davos kidnapping and smuggling her away somewhere, with or without Stannis' consent I'm not sure. Like he did Edric Storm. They can hide out somewhere in the North and then bump into Rickon along the way and come full circle with TWOW.

That's the problem with this show. All season Stannis has been touted as a shoe in (with more men and a better commander) so i assumed he was screwed with a capital F. Now he's in trouble, so I think he might be turning it around.

He's not doing so well in the books at the moment.

I would put my money on Davos kidnapping and smuggling her away somewhere, with or without Stannis' consent I'm not sure. Like he did Edric Storm. They can hide out somewhere in the North and then bump into Rickon along the way and come full circle with TWOW.

Stannis sends Davos away with her perhaps?

Archived