Is There A Difference Between Sansa's and Gilly's Scenes?

Stan Man

I think that Sansa's scene was "unavoidable," because:

• It was Littlefinger's plan to marry Sansa to Ramsay. Sansa is directly connected to a psychopathic rapist.
  • They have the wedding. They have the bedding.
  • Not likely that psychopathic rapist will NOT rape Sansa.
  • If anyone has any other potential outcomes for the bedding, please let me know. I'm begging to hear them.

Now, as for Gilly:

• Gilly is in a place populated by rapists.
  • She could be raped, she could not be raped. It's up in the air.
  • Showrunners have a choice.

Sansa's rape was avoidable, because D&D invented that stupid Sansa arc not, someone else. They did not have to invent such a stupid plotline in the first place so to speak. If they decided to invent it, I don't know. Couldn't D&D logic come up with something? :dunno:

I didn't watch ep 7 yet so I don't know what happened with Gilly. I also don't know how someone raised by Craster would react after that situation. But from what I've heard it doesn't seem necessary at all, if all it is for Sam&Gilly having sex.

• It was Littlefinger's plan to marry Sansa to Ramsay. Sansa is directly connected to a psychopathic rapist.

They have the wedding. They have the bedding.

Not likely that psychopathic rapist will NOT rape Sansa.

If anyone has any other potential outcomes for the bedding, please let me know. I'm begging to hear them.

Now, as for Gilly:

She could be raped, she could not be raped. It's up in the air.

Showrunners have a choice.

They wanted Sam to get beaten standing up for Gilly. They could have tried to come up with another pretext, but in that location, a couple of the characters threatening to do something they have past form of doing was probably about the most plausible pretext.

They wanted Sam to get beaten standing up for Gilly. They could have tried to come up with another pretext, but in that location, a couple of the characters threatening to do something they have past form of doing was probably about the most plausible pretext.

Because nothing turns a girl on like watching a dude lose a fight.

I agree completely, Sansa-Ramsay scene was painful, but completely logical if Sansa has been brought north, the Gilly scene was so pointless and seemed like the writers were failing at subverting a trope; instead of the Damsel in distress being saved by the hero they are both saved by a third party, however this still painfully plays to the trope that a man has to protect (or try to) the damsel in order to win her affection, when there is nothing wrong with them building a normal(ish) relationship.

I knew that sansa was going to be raped when she married ramsey, just had to happen. And since the sansa character has not made me like her or even care about her, I was able to enjoy the scene for theons wonderful acting and the creative way it was shot. And theons acting was GREAT.

Now Gilleys near rape had me worried, I didnt think it was necessary, I wished they had moved her and Sam's relationship forward in a more romantic way. After all sam really cares for and admires her, and I love her character and I feel that she deserved better than almost getting raped. But at least she was saved that horror after everything else she has been thru, I guess I just wanted romance and roses for thier first time.

It's on-point criticism as far as I'm concerned. Using rape to finally get Gilly in the mood is just one more shit in the "sexaul violence against women" bucket that D and D keep a the bottom of their bed. However, Sansa's rape was obviously avoidable, because both she and LF had ample opportunities to avoid it. It was necessary in the sense that D and D took one of the most extreme and controversial moments of the book and placed a main character in the role instead, without any thought to the broader context, nor how it would effect the characters.

All of this. And the things they lose by reaching into that bucket are considerable. They could be telling a much better story. Characters are not interchangeable, everyone's journey is different, for good reasons.

Even in the first book we have Lord Mormont commenting that there are more rapists and murderers in the watch than normal volunteers and he forsee a hard time keeping everyone in line in the future. I don't see any problems in this scene. It's not like it's unexpected or came out of nowhere.

They have the wedding. They have the bedding.

Not likely that psychopathic rapist will NOT rape Sansa.

If anyone has any other potential outcomes for the bedding, please let me know. I'm begging to hear them.

Now, as for Gilly:

She could be raped, she could not be raped. It's up in the air.

Showrunners have a choice.

There is nothing "unavoidable" in a tv show - it is a work of fiction. Saying the rape was unavoidable because of the context is only true if we are constrained by a myopic focus upon episode 6, with no thought given to the reasoning of the characters leading up to it. Why would Sansa agree to marry Ramsay? It is apparent that she had no revenge plan going into the wedding and came up with using Walda against Ramsay on the fly. Why that required her to marry him I couldn't tell you.

The showrunners did have a choice, and decided that the threat of rape was ideal to get Gilly in the mood. Given the opportunity, D and D will always include the rape of a female character, whether it is in the books or not - you don't find this troubling?

Archived