Show haters: What are the reasons you still watch?

Joe Pesci

I want the link to him supposedly saying the opposite. That is all.

But why does it matter?

You used the argument that "Finn Jones would disagree" upthread. With him being involved in the show, playing the character we're talking about, he is hardly a reliable source for critical assessment.

But why does it matter?

You used the argument that "Finn Jones would disagree" upthread. With him being involved in the show, playing the character we're talking about, he is hardly a reliable source for critical assessment.

Someone quoted me, changed my wording, and said the complete opposite with no factual info or links.

I don't hate it, i'm just disappointed. All the changes that they've made that go way of page frustrate me because they're of a lesser quality not because they're not loyal to the source material. Don't get me wrong I don't hate the show at all, I love it and will continue to watch it until I start bleeding from the eyes. But if people are going to be blind to all the negative points of the show then really... you don't love it. We all recognize the good and bad in things we love.

Glad to be back to the boards! What's up Jack!

The actors.

The set pieces to see how the places in the books are imagined by others.

The three scenes in every season that are actually really nicely done ( Mountain fight, Moon Door, Oathkeeper, Stannis and Shireen )

I am simply curious as to the reasons why people who dislike and hate the show so much continue to watch it and would be interested in their responses.

I don't know of anyone who hates the show who still watches it.

The last episode was rated a 10/10 by members of this very board. The "rant/rave thread" is still over 6 times longer than the "positive nitpicking" thread.

Explanation:

The vast majority of people who watch the show love it. That includes the vast majority of book readers, the vast majority of unsullied, and the vast majority of critical opinion.

The very few people who don't like it (which, just to be clear, is totally fine - art is in the eye of the beholder) are very loud, and some of them have made the somewhat odd decision to spend a lot of time posting on the tv show subforum here.

That's basically it.

I don't think there's any one reason that I still watch the show. It's a mix of things. I think the acting and production values are usually top notch. It's the writing that I usually have an issue with. I also watch it because it's a cultural touchstone. It's something I can discuss (and sometimes argue about) with my family, friends, coworkers, and people on the internet. Part of it is a morbid curiosity about how certain things will be adapted or deviated from. From a critical perspective I really joy getting down into the minutiae of what I didn't like about a certain scene or adaptation choice, or whatever. I like talking about possibilities for alternate ways of adapting. Obviously that isn't everyone's thing, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Plus, (and this might surprise people, and I'm sure some would disagree) I find the majority of people in the R&R thread to be really funny and smart and thoughtful and just generally nice to converse with. I don't always agree with everyone (sometimes I like things more than other people, sometimes I like things less), but I really like the atmosphere there.

The last episode was rated a 10/10 by members of this very board. The "rant/rave thread" is still over 6 times longer than the "positive nitpicking" thread.

Explanation:

The vast majority of people who watch the show love it. That includes the vast majority of book readers, the vast majority of unsullied, and the vast majority of critical opinion.

The very few people who don't like it (which, just to be clear, is totally fine - art is in the eye of the beholder) are very loud, and some of them have made the somewhat odd decision to spend a lot of time posting on the tv show subforum here.

That's basically it.

I think the reason that the rant/rave thread is long is not just due to a lot of people angrily decrying the show (though there is a lot of that). There is also a lot of back and forth discussion about aspects of the show as they relate to the books, discussion of the books themselves and what did or didn't happen and how people feel about it, theorizing what's happening next, and a LOT of just joking around that tends to make the thread really long. It's one of the only threads on the forum where criticizing the show isn't allowed to devolve into a pointless "IT'S GREAT!" "IT SUCKS!" argument, so a lot of people congregate there. Usually I make a post in the positive nitpicking thread, but that one really seems to be a collection of people's favorite moments. There isn't a lot of discussion between posters, so it tends to be much shorter regardless of whether or not the majority of people watching loved the episode.

I've stopped watching all the "behind the scenes" and "anatomy of a scene" because I lost interest in the last few episodes but the Hardhome Battle(or Massacre) was amazing.

I know the season finale will be anti-climactic. They will stray away from the really shocking twists or at least dumb them down so their lower intelligence demographic can understand.

I am simply curious as to the reasons why people who dislike and hate the show so much continue to watch it and would be interested in their responses.

The subtext of this question seems to be that people who critique the show are simply "show haters" who need to stop complaining and prostrate themselves before the show-runners who have bestowed the gift that is HBO Game of Thrones.

The subtext of this question seems to be that people who critique the show are simply "show haters" who need to stop complaining and prostrate themselves before the show-runners who have bestowed the gift that is HBO Game of Thrones.

Yeah pal there isn't any subtext here so don't bother trying to make some up for me.

Archived