Need advice re: recovery

Gun Street Girl

"A friend" recently started recovery. This person reduced their alcohol intake to none...and then their spouse announced that a night out was planned, and this person was expected to attend.

To be precise: I live in a place where going to a pub and not consuming alcohol is rare and would attract comment.

It is too soon, and I can't do it. Am I wrong to be angry?

"A friend" recently started recovery. This person reduced their alcohol intake to none...and then their spouse announced that a night out was planned, and this person was expected to attend.

It is too soon, and I can't do it. Am I wrong to be angry?

Their spouse sounds like an asshat.

Spouse is a dick. And this would be the case even if recovery was not an issue. "Expected to attend"? Fuck that shit. Go if you want to, go if you are able to, but don't go just cos spouse "expects" it.

They are my friends too, yet I have a hard time telling them about why I can't be drinking with them. It's too soon. I'm only "out" with this recently, and I'd like to tell folk in my own time, when I am ready. That's ok, right?

You don't owe them any explanation about anything.

There's frankly no excuse for your spouse not being more supportive to you in this. Getting over any addiction problem is difficult enough as it is without those in the immediate vicinity making things tougher.

They are my friends too, yet I have a hard time telling them about why I can't be drinking with them. It's too soon. I'm only "out" with this recently, and I'd like to tell folk in my own time, when I am ready. That's ok, right?

It's completely ok. Also, it shouldn't matter why you don't want to drink. You don't need to tell them why. "I don't want to drink" is perfectly sufficient. If they don't respect your wishes then how good a group of friends are they really?

You don't owe them any explanation about anything.

There's frankly no excuse for your spouse not being more supportive to you in this. Getting over any addiction problem is difficult enough as it is without those in the immediate vicinity making things tougher.

In total agreement. Is there anything I can say to help him understand?

It's completely ok. Also, it shouldn't matter why you don't want to drink. You don't need to tell them why. "I don't want to drink" is perfectly sufficient. If they don't respect your wishes then how good a group of friends are they really?

They are terrific friends... It is just that I'm not ready to go public on this yet. I'm ashamed, and I'm not yet strong enough.

What I mean is that I still want to but know I mustn't. And I'm not ready to go into all that yet.

In total agreement. Is there anything I can say to help him understand?

That's a tough one for me to answer. In your situation I'd probably be very direct, blunt and profane.

You could always say - "Grow up." This is a serious issue for you, and apparently he is more concerned about appearances in front of y'alls friends than in your well-being.

They are terrific friends... It is just that I'm not ready to go public on this yet. I'm ashamed, and I'm not yet strong enough.

What I mean is that I still want to but know I mustn't. And I'm not ready to go into all that yet.

That's cool. What I mean is that you can tell your friends that you're not drinking without going into why. If they ask you can simply say that you don't feel like it or something equally non-specific. They aren't owed an explanation.

Well.... I have tried the direct route, but it seems....there's a disconnect. I'm from a part of the U.S. that has close ties, let's say, from where he is from, yet he doesn't quite get it.

I will keep on trying to tell him, but my main goal is keeping clean. Lotta phone calls back home, at this point. I've been scared to contact the local AA folks.

That's cool. What I mean is that you can tell your friends that you're not drinking without going into why. If they ask you can simply say that you don't feel like it or something equally non-specific. They aren't owed an explanation.

I can really do that? I don't wish to seem a moron... It's just where I live now, folk are really inquisitive, and gossipy, and I'd rather the whole town didn't know my flaws.

Standby excuses for not drinking if people ask and you don't want to discuss the real reason:

I'm hungover

I'm on medication

I have to drive later

I'm pregnant

All the stuff here is piss

I'm doing dry January/Lent/life

I'm on a diet/detox

I recently qualified as an astronaut

I don't feel like it tonight

It's that jerk's fault (indicate spouse)

Although the above is not entirely non-serious, it does sound like your spouse is really not being supportive at all here.

Unlike some of the others I don't think it's unreasonable for people to query your choice of non-drinking, as it's a social activity and if they don't know the backstory and you previously have been drinking with them (and are meeting them at a drinking venue) it may seem odd and as if something's wrong. But it shouldn't take much more than a "nah, not tonight; really, it's fine" and ordering only soft drinks to get them to leave you alone, otherwise that's rather overly intrusive and pushy of them.

Just my 2 cents, but I would say that if you commit to this but just aren't feeling it, this would be one of those times where it's OK to back out. Be selfish here.

Archived