Robert vs Viserys

Let's suppose Viserys does not get crowned and Robert does not drink that much. The War of the Five Kings is not happening, of course, so the Seven Kingdoms are united and in peace... until Viserys arrives in Dorne with 40000 dothraki men. How would that conflict develop?

It wouldn't. Getting 40,000 men across the natural sea would be a logistical feat beyond what the Dothraki are capable, probably even if they had help from one or more of the Free Cities. Getting more than 40,000 horses across for them to ride would be even worse. And once they're in Dorne, feeding and watering 40,000 men and horses in a desert would be even worse.

It wouldn't. Getting 40,000 men across the natural sea would be a logistical feat beyond what the Dothraki are capable, probably even if they had help from one or more of the Free Cities. Getting more than 40,000 horses across for them to ride would be even worse. And once they're in Dorne, feeding and watering 40,000 men and horses in a desert would be even worse.

Want to change a little bit the situation?

Are we assuming Dorne is allying with them? If they are, the army gets destroyed in either pass out of Dorne. House Martell is attainted, Yronwood promoted (?). Viserys is executed, and the animals in the Dornish mountains get a lot of carrion to snack on.

If not, the invading army dies trying to cross Dorne, through disease, lack of water, or just guerilla warfare.

There might be some bands that continue raiding, but they'd be captured or killed soon enough.

People tend to forget that the Dothraki screamer's numbers of Khal Drogo are 40,000. But in his khalasar there are also women, old people, kids and slaves. I seriously put the numbers of the dothraki under Khal drogo to a 200,000 people, and we have to add also the Horses (which have to be a lot more than one for each person in the Khalasar, given the fact they have a lot of horses to spare), Goats, Sheep, rabbits, and possesions such as cooking tools, tents, carts, provisions, wood, etc etc. The side of the Khallasar has to be fucking inmense. It's impossible to pass them through the narrow sea.

Also, Robert if somehow they managed to get all the ships from a free city and managed to squish to Westeros, they'd be too much sea-sick and/or diminished to have a proper fight. The size of the fleet would be inmense, words would go to Kingslanding. Robert would have met I them with a big battle upon Viserys Landing.

Or he could sail the royal fleet to meet them in open sea/ near the coast. The dothraki would be helpless.

In the very remote case that the dothraki could get to Westeros relatively unharmed, without their force diminished and with minimal number loss at sea, Westeros would be a lost cause though. I've seen over this site the disdain users have for the Dothraki, and even to lenghts to say they would be crushed y a westerosi army. Let me remind you that 40,000 light cavalry / arrow-raining / savage screaming dothrakis is a very big force to be reckoned with, and they are all seasoned warriors and have battle tactics regardless that one time where they killed themselves against the Unsullied shields. Ha

People tend to forget that the Dothraki screamer's numbers of Khal Drogo are 40,000. But in his khalasar there are also women, old people, kids and slaves. I seriously put the numbers of the dothraki under Khal drogo to a 200,000 people, and we have to add also the Horses (which have to be a lot more than one for each person in the Khalasar, given the fact they have a lot of horses to spare), Goats, Sheep, rabbits, and possesions such as cooking tools, tents, carts, provisions, wood, etc etc. The side of the Khallasar has to be fucking inmense. It's impossible to pass them through the narrow sea.

Also, Robert if somehow they managed to get all the ships from a free city and managed to squish to Westeros, they'd be too much sea-sick and/or diminished to have a proper fight. The size of the fleet would be inmense, words would go to Kingslanding. Robert would have met I them with a big battle upon Viserys Landing.

Or he could sail the royal fleet to meet them in open sea/ near the coast. The dothraki would be helpless.

In the very remote case that the dothraki could get to Westeros relatively unharmed, without their force diminished and with minimal number loss at sea, Westeros would be a lost cause though. I've seen over this site the disdain users have for the Dothraki, and even to lenghts to say they would be crushed y a westerosi army. Let me remind you that 40,000 light cavalry / arrow-raining / savage screaming dothrakis is a very big force to be reckoned with, and they are all seasoned warriors and have battle tactics regardless that one time where they killed themselves against the Unsullied shields. Ha

It's a lot less daunting when they starve to death or die of thirst before the first battle.

"Viserys couldn't lead an army if drogo gave him one." Viserys wasn't a commander or a warrior. Also even viserys some how had gained some kind of alliance based on his name and or birth he would lose it in no time. Dorne might ally with him but as far as I know even oberyn isn't mad. I think that they would tire of his attitude quickly. The reach might ally with him but they don't have mountains to hide behind like Dorne. Some river lands houses may consider aligning with viserys but they would also tire of him, they definitely don't hve mountains to hide behind., and lastly just life the reach and even Dorne there is something that they should really fear.

Robert baratheon is king of the 7 kingdoms for a reason. He is one of the most ferocious warriors in westeros. He is a proven battle commander. Possibly the most important reason is because he had a lot of really powerful and really fearsome friends. Yes he has the vale or arryn, the tully's and most of their bannermen if not all of them at this point, and the storm lands and this makes or a very imposing force. But more than numbers are names and reputations. Roberts 2 main allies post Roberts rebellion are Tywin lannister and eddard stark. These 2 names stick out specifically because of the weight those 2 individuals carry. Tywin is obvious and I'm not going to go any further than the reins if castamere. Eddard stark though is thought of as having ice in his vains, he is a proven battle commander, and is honorable to a fault where he wil figt to the bitter end.

This is a lot for viserys to go against. But what deals the deal is the lords who may join viserys know that if they go against Robert and his friends for a second time it will mean their heads and that is a lot to risk. Especially because while Robert may have been a bad king but his rule was a good one where all the realm excluding the main treasury flourished.

Well, it depends on when of course.

He lands with 40.000 soliders (which is unlikley since he was never going to get that many men from Drogo, but lets say so).
And Dorne joins him (I assume that was what you meant).

Now Mace want his daughter to become queen, and since Joffrey is going to marry Sansa he has little chance of making this happen... When Viserys lands however he does have a chance.. He marries Marg to Viserys. So lets say this happens.

He then has:
- Dorne

- Reach

- 40k.

Robert would have:

- most of the crownlands (I assume some would join Viserys, since some are very pro House Targ).

- All of the stormlands (I assume)

- North

- Riverlands

- Westerlands.

- Not really sure about Vale.. I mean, LF would probably want them to stay out of it.. Same with Lysa? But I dont know :(

So yeah, he would probably loose.. :P

In the rare event that Viserys manages to score 40000 Dothraki screamers and a massive fleet that can fight a battle at sea, they still have very little chance of landing on Westeros. Stannis commands the Royal Fleet which is composed of 200 ships. Ned holds Theon and Balon is frightened of Ned. Balon will bolster the Ironborn fleet to Stannis' should Stannis need it. Now it depends if the Redwynes choose to help Viserys or not. Even so, you have a war fleet of warriors who have fought their whole lives at sea and another fleet commanded by the man who defeated those same warriors in a battle. What fleet could honestly stand against that?

Now Mace want his daughter to become queen, and since Joffrey is going to marry Sansa he has little chance of making this happen... When Viserys lands however he does have a chance.. He marries Marg to Viserys. So lets say this happens.

He then has:

- Dorne

- Reach

Viserys wouldn't had both Dorne and Reach. Doran wants a double marriage in order to help them.

Viserys wouldn't had both Dorne and Reach. Doran wants a double marriage in order to help them.

We don't know this for sure.. Do you have any text evidence for this? And I believe Doran would be so smart that if Viserys does come AND he decides to help him Doran would understand that the only way the can be successful is if they don't double marry, but try and gain as many allies as possible. But I do agree with you that its unlikely that he would have both Dorne and Reach- since they are not BFF's, but I at least find it to be a possibility.

We don't know this for sure.. Do you have any text evidence for this? And I believe Doran would be so smart that if Viserys does come AND he decides to help him Doran would understand that the only way the can be successful is if they don't double marry, but try and gain as many allies as possible. But I do agree with you that its unlikely that he would have both Dorne and Reach- since they are not BFF's, but I at least find it to be a possibility.

You do remember the marriage contract and the fact that Doran never married Arianne off because she was promised to Viserys right?

If Doran has nothing to gain why he should care about them?

You do remember the marriage contract and the fact that Doran never married Arianne off because she was promised to Viserys right?

If Doran has nothing to gain why he should care about them?

The marriage contract was between Viserys and Arianne.. your "and the fact" is the same as your point before :) Sorry.

How would Viserys have the Reach ? If he married Arianne ? Especially when Mace Tyrell has his son who was Renly Baratheon's squire.

How would the Reach and Dorne cooperate ? It was shown that they can't bear each others.

The only reason why Doran would cooperate with House Targaryen is if his daughter becomes the queen, otherwise he has absolutely no reason to go to war.

Archived