Has the show just confirmed the dragonglass theory?

VicAndTheSquidSquad

yeah, it kind of looks that way. best not try to overthink it!

what have we seen so far? please correct me if any mistakes.

Books

Waymar Royce's regular steel sword vs. WW ice sword - Royce's sword breaks [eventually, after many blade clashes].

Royce sword vs. WW armour - unknown [he didn't get a hit in].

Small Paul axe vs. WW weapons - unknown [no hit]

Small Paul axe vs WW armour - unknown [no hit]

Sam dragonglass vs WW weapons - unknown

Sam dragonglass vs WW armour - instant kill.

Show

Royce - all happens off camera.

Small Paul - doesn't happen in the show.

Sam's metal knife - broken by the WW's hand?? No contact with WW weapon or armour?

Sam's dragonglass knife vs. WW weapon - unknown.

Sam's dragonglass vs. WW armour - instant kill.

Thenn axe vs. WW weapon - breaks instantly.

Thenn axe vs. WW armour - unknown.

Jon's 'dragonsteel' vs. WW weapon - doesn't break.

Jon's 'dragonsteel' vs. WW armour - instant kill.

we've not actually seen WW *armour* tested against 'normal' edged weapons, or dragonglass tested against WW *weapons*, or WWs generally tested against other types of damage such as blunt force trauma.

but generally it seems that dragonglass & dragonsteel are the way forward.

I've long theorized that one of the components of Valyrian Steel is Obsidian (ie Dragon Glass). I also suspect that the "dragonsteel" legend of Azor Ahai is the same as the legend of the Last Hero, and that his sword "Lightbringer" was a pre-cursor to Valyrian Steel.

Glass candles (made of dragonglass) burn without being consumed, the same way I think a Valyrian Steel sword will be able to be lighted on fire without ruining the blade.

I've long theorized that one of the components of Valyrian Steel is Obsidian (ie Dragon Glass). I also suspect that the "dragonsteel" legend of Azor Ahai is the same as the legend of the Last Hero, and that his sword "Lightbringer" was a pre-cursor to Valyrian Steel.

Glass candles (made of dragonglass) burn without being consumed, the same way I think a Valyrian Steel sword will be able to be lighted on fire without ruining the blade.

I dont think that Obsidian is part of Valyrian steel as much as the same technique is used to make Valyrian steel as Obsidian

"Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock. It is produced when felsic lava extruded from a volcano cools rapidly with minimum crystal growth."

I dont think that Obsidian is part of Valyrian steel as much as the same technique is used to make Valyrian steel as Obsidian

"Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock. It is produced when felsic lava extruded from a volcano cools rapidly with minimum crystal growth."

I was thinking about this the other day; could the "naturally occurring volcanic glass" be part of some "unreliable narration" passed down through Maester's writings through the years, as many things are in the story?

The reason I ask is; the Children of the Forest were said to have used Dragonglass for daggers, spears, and arrows; all essentially the same shape, but different sizes. They would all have to be more or less the same shape in its original form, right, because if the Children didn't work metal, how could they work the Dragonglass?

So we need something naturally occurring that has a useful "weapony" shape in stock form, and which could possess some magical properties...

Could this: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/game-of-thrones/f/f8/Dragonglass.png

Be this? http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/iceandfire/images/4/4b/Drogon_Season_3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130528130447(spikey scales around his head and perhaps elsewhere)

It would account for the various sizes for different uses (different dragon ages and/or sizes). Presumably harvested from dragons in an age when they were plentiful.

Thoughts?

yeah, it kind of looks that way. best not try to overthink it!

what have we seen so far? please correct me if any mistakes.

Books

Waymar Royce's regular steel sword vs. WW ice sword - Royce's sword breaks [eventually, after many blade clashes].

Royce sword vs. WW armour - unknown [he didn't get a hit in].

Small Paul axe vs. WW weapons - unknown [no hit]

Small Paul axe vs WW armour - unknown [no hit]

Sam dragonglass vs WW weapons - unknown

Sam dragonglass vs WW armour - instant kill.

Show

Royce - all happens off camera.

Small Paul - doesn't happen in the show.

Sam's metal knife - broken by the WW's hand?? No contact with WW weapon or armour?

Sam's dragonglass knife vs. WW weapon - unknown.

Sam's dragonglass vs. WW armour - instant kill.

Thenn axe vs. WW weapon - breaks instantly.

Thenn axe vs. WW armour - unknown.

Jon's 'dragonsteel' vs. WW weapon - doesn't break.

Jon's 'dragonsteel' vs. WW armour - instant kill.

we've not actually seen WW *armour* tested against 'normal' edged weapons, or dragonglass tested against WW *weapons*, or WWs generally tested against other types of damage such as blunt force trauma.

but generally it seems that dragonglass & dragonsteel are the way forward.

Dragonsteel is like shooting at a bulletproof vest with a teflon-coated bullet, the bulletproof vest is not going to do anything.

I was thinking about this the other day; could the "naturally occurring volcanic glass" be part of some "unreliable narration" passed down through Maester's writings through the years, as many things are in the story?

The reason I ask is; the Children of the Forest were said to have used Dragonglass for daggers, spears, and arrows; all essentially the same shape, but different sizes. They would all have to be more or less the same shape in its original form, right, because if the Children didn't work metal, how could they work the Dragonglass?

So we need something naturally occurring that has a useful "weapony" shape in stock form, and which could possess some magical properties...

Could this: http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/game-of-thrones/f/f8/Dragonglass.png

Be this? http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/iceandfire/images/4/4b/Drogon_Season_3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130528130447(spikey scales around his head and perhaps elsewhere)

It would account for the various sizes for different uses (different dragon ages and/or sizes). Presumably harvested from dragons in an age when they were plentiful.

Thoughts?

dragonglass is described as a type of obsidian, not metal. The CoTF probably have a better understanding as to what the WW's are, their strengths and weaknesses. If their made of ice and dragonglass comes from volcanos than it would make sense it would harm them?

I don't think valyrian steel kills ww, it's just because jon that it happened. That is the reason the ww was so surprised, they're intelligent after all and i think he can recognize what can kill him. Dragonglass can kill a ww.

dragonglass is described as a type of obsidian, not metal. The CoTF probably have a better understanding as to what the WW's are, their strengths and weaknesses. If their made of ice and dragonglass comes from volcanos than it would make sense it would harm them?

No, my reference to metal only had to do with the fact that I wasn't sure if the Children could have worked Dragonglass, because of its hardness. My theory was that it was naturally occurring in its pointy form, because it was in fact the scaley-spikes from dragons, as seen in the 2nd picture link.

My thought was that the "volcano" explanation (and name of "Obsidian") was perhaps a contemporary (post-dragon) explanation of the material, because it doesn't sound like many people know about it, or that it's harvested at all anymore.

I don't think valyrian steel kills ww, it's just because jon that it happened. That is the reason the ww was so surprised, they're intelligent after all and i think he can recognize what can kill him. Dragonglass can kill a ww.

The normal sword Jon picked up and tried to use against the WW shattered just like the rest of the weapons. It was only Longclaw that did that, so I disagree with the premise of it being the wielder instead of the sword.

In the books, the White Walkers were looking very intently at Royce's blade, like they were wary of it possibly being something that could hurt them (ie Dragonsteel).

I disagree, I think that obsidian is ground into a powder and used in the forging. Now a Valyrian steel weapon would require intense heat (say from a dragon) to melt it enough to bond the obsidian to the metal at a molecular level or else the end result would be extremely brittle (see the story of Azor Ahai forging the sword lots of times).

Dragonsteel is like shooting at a bulletproof vest with a teflon-coated bullet, the bulletproof vest is not going to do anything.

Not to derail the thread but teflon does nothing for armor penetration. It does prevent barrel wear and also ricochets though. However that doesn't stop bullet manufacturers from marketing teflon as improving penetration to suckers.

I disagree, I think that obsidian is ground into a powder and used in the forging. Now a Valyrian steel weapon would require intense heat (say from a dragon) to melt it enough to bond the obsidian to the metal at a molecular level or else the end result would be extremely brittle (see the story of Azor Ahai forging the sword lots of times).

I remember as a kid learning about obsidian's sharpness at the electronmicroscopic level despite rudimentsry sharpening compared to painstakingly sharpened steel using the most advanced technology such as lasers.

I thought it would've been cool to weld an obsidian edge to a stronger steel blade.

Archived