Do your duty.... Or don't? (BOOK & TV SPOILERS)

Cutting away from seeing him dying if he is dead made no sense. I think something happened. We see people die all the time. If he really died right there, I don't think there would have been a cut. Too bad too. I wish he had died. Talk about a disgrace. He went out with a whimper and lost everything

Ned. Well, sort of. They did show the head in the next episode but the kill itself was cut away.

Back when they cared about book cannon and the readers. That was a long time ago.

I just re-watched the Brienne v Stannis scene. Brienne screams as she starts to come down with her sword and then the shot cuts away to Ramsay. On a second viewing it could appear that Brienne is struck from behind before delivering the killing blow.

I just re-watched the Brienne v Stannis scene. Brienne screams as she starts to come down with her sword and then the shot cuts away to Ramsay. On a second viewing it could appear that Brienne is struck from behind before delivering the killing blow.

Also interesting to note is that the sword-slashing-flesh sound effect actually comes from Ramsay, not Brienne.

Let's say Brienne did not kill him... what's the point of keeping him alive now? He's lost everything. And by everything I mean Every. Thing.

The point of keeping him alive is that maybe he can walk back to WF and kill Mel. Bri might blame Mel for Renly's death as well (she should). If Mel burns Shireen at the wall in the books (which is likely), then book Stannis might also venture back to the wall to kill Mel as he would have the same motive.

Ok, lets assume that Brienne let him live. What has he got left to achieve with no army, no men, no Mel, no Davos, no family...? I'd like to believe that he is alive because in my mind there is 0 chance that he doesn't win that battle in the books, but there appears to be little reason to keep him around on the show with nothing and noone to fight for.

this is interesting because my unsullied friend asked me who attacked brienne when she was about to kill stannis. At first i didn't catch on to it but maybe she was attacked.

this is interesting because my unsullied friend asked me who attacked brienne when she was about to kill stannis. At first i didn't catch on to it but maybe she was attacked.

Perhaps the long lost Asha (Yara) Greyjoy has arrived.

Rule 1 of GoT: no body, no confirmed deaths.

Albeit I see no reason Brienne would spare him, and short of making Stannis Reek!lite, all remorseful and possibly repentant, I don't see where his story could possibly go from now on since he has literally lost everything.

Methinks it's better to let Stannis rest in peace. The show jettisoned him, fine. Let it continue without him. He became completely uninteresting a character the moment he burned Shireen.

Ok, lets assume that Brienne let him live. What has he got left to achieve with no army, no men, no Mel, no Davos, no family...? I'd like to believe that he is alive because in my mind there is 0 chance that he doesn't win that battle in the books, but there appears to be little reason to keep him around on the show with nothing and noone to fight for.

Maybe Stannis does joins the Others out of spite. If he still lives, then for the first time, I'm actually okay with him becoming Night's Prince or whatever.

I can't see it, I just watched it back as well, and there's nothing at all to indicate that she was struck from behind. Saying that, I think there's a small chance she spared him.

The more I think about it, the more I start to think that Brienne didn't kill Stannis. Her oath to protect Sansa and Arya ought to supercede her oath to serve Renly. And Mel did say that she saw Bolton banners burning, so somehow there's still comeuppance.

Not sure how they'd go forward from here, but I won't count Stannis out until I see the casting for next season. (More likely than not, he's probably dead, but it's still a wait and see for me.)

The point of keeping him alive is that maybe he can walk back to WF and kill Mel. Bri might blame Mel for Renly's death as well (she should). If Mel burns Shireen at the wall in the books (which is likely), then book Stannis might also venture back to the wall to kill Mel as he would have the same motive.

I'm pretty sure that's what Davos is still alive for. Plus, Stannis is strongly injured in his leg in that snowstorm, if Brienne didn't get him I'm sure Mother Nature will. He's in no shape to march anywhere.

Archived