So what is HBO's strategy on the Jon Snow question?

Hajk

So they would risk losing viewers and subscribers on the hope that when they do reveal they were lying, they would get those same people back?! Or they could just keep those viewers and subscribers the whole time?

Yeah, if only they had actually had his last word "Ghost" and had Ghost play a bigger role this season (and other seasons, to be honest) :(

I just don't see why the interviews are needed for that scenario to happen :dunno:

Um, well.. It's pretty clear that a lot of media's want interviews and comments from them at this point. They should just say no to everyone? Or they should say that they don't talk about Jon Snow anymore?

I think the whole point of "he's dead, dead as dead, yup dead" is to keep people guessing and in that way still interested in the show during off season. Because if they gave any hint now that he's maybe not dead then it would be obvious that he's not really dead and there would be no suspense. The easiest (and the cheapest) marketing for the show is building tension like this and leave viewers guessing like crazy, Kit-watch 2015 is going to keep a lot of people focused on the show while they film and bring big headlines if there's any sign of him.

I can't find the whole interview, just this quote:

"[...]I have a million questions, but the one that I really am most wanting to know is .... will Jon ever find out about his parentage?"

GRRM: "Eventually, yes."

I'm thinking he's alive because of Martin himself. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, GRRM has been very clear that Jon will find out about his parentage. Not the readers, not Bran or any other character but Jon himself will find out.If D&D decided to kill him off for good they will definitely lose viewers. I for one have decided to stick with the books from here on out.

I'm pretty sure since it is likely WoW will come out just before season 6, it is important to GRRM that the show not blatantly spoil that huge cliff hanger readers have been waiting years for. Speaking of which...

"I've been worrying about Jon for years. He always comes back."

I think that was in there for a reason.

It's possible Jon's scenes for next season have already been shot. Who knows. I doubt he is just dead and gone. I will say if he is, what a waste of a plot line.

I know several show only watchers that were emotionally invested in Jon Snow, and will lose interest if he's gone. Hey, killing off main characters is shocking and all, but people ultimately still need someone to root for. I suppose there's Sansa and Arya still but...

If Jon comes back in the books, he will come back in the show. Resurrecting Jon in the books would be something really essential and special and it would happen for a good and important reason. Also in a way it is a shock again when you think he is dead and then comes back. I don't think they would want to miss this in the show.

It's all kayfabe, anyone who was ever a fan of WWF/WWE will know how this works.

In any case, what will be the point of Davos and Melisandre next season if not to be part of Jon's storyline? They have no function of their own, they are characters that exist to further the arc of others. What do their scenes even look like next season if not to play a part in Jon's resurrection?

Mel: So...

Davos: So?

Mel: Looks like Stannis isn't coming.

Davos: Aye. We'll probably have to do something else now.

Mel: I could burn someone.

Davos: Why?

Mel: Dunno. Something to do, force of habit and all that.

Davos: I could... hmm... make an impassioned case on Stannis' behalf! Oh, right.

Mel: We could have sex.

Davos: Nah, thanks. It just all gets a bit weird afterwards.

Mel: Your loss.

Davos: Well then.

Mel: Yep, well then.

Dorne won't look too bad after a few episodes of the Wall without Jon Snow.

He risked his life and betrayed Stannis to save Gendry, who he never even knew, would he really do nothing for Shireen, a child he loved and adored?

The way I see this is an internal conflict in Davos. He simply could not allow himself to believe Stannis would do it. If he believed Stannis was capable of something like that, then it would mean everything he believed about Stannis was wrong. He might not have trusted Mel, but when he had the moment of facing whether he trusted Stannis or thought Shireen was in danger, he sided with loyalty to Stannis. Which is in character for him. That Davos actually knew what would happen but left anyway, I can't buy that.

Heck, if you would have asked most viewers before it happened if they thought Stannis was capaple of or willing to do it, I think most would have said no. I didn't think he'd go through with it.

The strategy:

1. Introduce Beric, so people vaguely know about someone being brought back. Also, bring Charles Dance back to play dead Tywin for one scene, so that everyone expects even a dead Jon to have a scene in season 6.

2. Fail to introduce Stoneheart when book readers expect it. The purpose? To prevent book readers from spoiling everything. Then delay introducing her at all until even the most die hard Stoneheart believers think she is never coming.

3. Kill Jon. For real. Jon Snow is dead. Kit is not filming season 6. Any small scenes he has (IF any) were already filmed.

4. Finally, when absolutaly noone is expecting it anymore, introduce Stoneheart. Hope for Jon is revived, but with some doubts because everyone can see she is not the same. In the background there is also the somewhat changed Gregor, similar message: we can bring him back, but is it really what you want?

5. After seeing all the awfulness of Stoneheart and the Mountain returned, then and only then resurrect Jon Stargaryen, as the very last scene of season 6 or first of season 7, and only when there is actually a need for him to return because he has been proved to be correct: The White Walkers have breached the Wall.

No, saying nothing is saying nothing. There would be greater ambiguity and many people may have come to an agnostic conclusion if they said nothing. But that would be it. The "perhaps yes, perhaps no" would still be in the air. The fact is that they are trying to eliminate this question by clearly supporting the "yes" side. This is easier to explain if they have actually decided for the Yes side (i.e. they have committed to that fate for the character).

Greater ambiguity = less 'SHOCK WOW OMG HE'S ALIVE' YouTube moments.

I'm thinking he's alive because of Martin himself. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, GRRM has been very clear that Jon will find out about his parentage. Not the readers, not Bran or any other character but Jon himself will find out.If D&D decided to kill him off for good they will definitely lose viewers. I for one have decided to stick with the books from here on out.

Martin has confirmed that we, the readers, will learn too:

April 14, 2008

JON SNOW’S PARENTAGE

[Will we learn more of Jon Snow's parentage?]

Eventually, yes.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2755

Greater ambiguity = less 'SHOCK WOW OMG HE'S ALIVE' YouTube moments.

Martin has confirmed that we, the readers, will learn too:

April 14, 2008

JON SNOW’S PARENTAGE

[Will we learn more of Jon Snow's parentage?]

Eventually, yes.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2755

That's a given. Of course, we will learn. But the more important question is whether Jon finds out about his parentage because if he's dead then he wouldn't be able to but it can still be revealed to us in other ways.

"Eventually, yes" is not a definite "yes". it could very well mean "yes, he will, if i don't decide to kill him for real" (and i might also decide not to give any new clues at all, leaving you wonder and bicker about RLJ until the end of the world" )

It is amazing how much one interview from Kit Harrington has fans wondering if his character isn't coming back. Perhaps it was my many years as a Pro Wrestling fan in my youth, but people are huge marks. Just read the way he answered the questions and it was painfully obvious that he was lying. Geez.... no wonder politicians can lie like crazy and still get elected. People have no BS detectors....

It is very simple. Mel is at the wall and she knows how to revive people. Jon is one of the central 5 characters of the entire book/shows. The show runners already said Jon Snow will be warging in Season 6. And they haven't solved who his parents are yet. He is 100% coming back.

The only issue I will find with it (and I don't care how the books are written).... is if they wait an entire season to bring him back. That just isn't going to work and will piss off the viewers. He needs to be back to life within 3 episodes or it is going to be some horrible story telling.

That's a given. Of course, we will learn. But the more important question is whether Jon finds out about his parentage because if he's dead then he wouldn't be able to but it can still be revealed to us in other ways.

From a few pages back:

I can't find the whole interview, just this quote:

"[...]I have a million questions, but the one that I really am most wanting to know is .... will Jon ever find out about his parentage?"

GRRM: "Eventually, yes."

"Eventually, yes" is not a definite "yes". it could very well mean "yes, he will, if i don't decide to kill him for real" (and i might also decide not to give any new clues at all, leaving you wonder and bicker about RLJ until the end of the world" )

eventually

adverb UK US /ɪˈven.tju.əl.i/

B2 in the end, especially after a long time or a lot of effort, problems, etc.:

Although she had been ill for a long time, it still came as a shock when she eventually died.

It might take him ages but he'll do it eventually.

More examples

I found it hard to follow what the teacher was saying, and eventually I lost concentration.

After years of abuse from her husband, she eventually found the courage to leave him.

After a long search, they eventually found the missing papers.

Keep trying and you'll find a job eventually.

Her parents eventually relented and let her go to the party.

Grammar

EventuallyWe use the adverb eventually to mean ‘in the end’, especially when something has involved a long time, or a lot of effort or problems: …

In the article, it also says this: "Of course, when an actor signs on for seven seasons of Game of Thrones it doesn't mean his or her character will live that long. Thrones is notorious for killing off characters, and Martin is still finishing the book series on which the show is based, which means the stars could lose their jobs — and their new paychecks — before a seventh season."

So I guess actors can sign contracts that will be meaningless if their characters end up dying.

After thinking about it- I am sure he is back as well, i think HBO know that it will hurt their finances without Kit in the show, the women at work are STILL stressing angrily over it :)

Yes the story belongs to GRRM, but i never thought he was 'out' when i read the books either.

It is amazing how much one interview from Kit Harrington has fans wondering if his character isn't coming back. Perhaps it was my many years as a Pro Wrestling fan in my youth, but people are huge marks. Just read the way he answered the questions and it was painfully obvious that he was lying. Geez.... no wonder politicians can lie like crazy and still get elected. People have no BS detectors....

People said the same about Michelle Fairley and D&D when they said Catelyn was not coming back, "it's obvious they lie and Stoneheart will be in season 4!!!". Well, now it's season 6 and she's still dead.

I think Jon will come back but the more I think about it, the more I doubt...

What if the Hardhome episode was done to give him a finale battle before he dies?

What if Jon's story was only to introduce the threat of the white walkers, the ineffective Night's Watch and the fall of the Wall to come?

What if Sansa goes to the Wall and then goes with Davos after Rickon? Mel could learn about Dany and the dragons and go after her. Their storylines can move on without Jon. And if you add Bran and Arya, the Starks are already too many...

What if Dany is the hero who will save the world from the white walkers? After all, the main musical theme of the series is Dany's personal theme, and the epic endings of season 1 and 3 were about her...

I love Jon and I want him back but if he dies in the last battle in the books, maybe they really cut him off from the show so Dany will have more screen time if she's the savior and the one on the Iron Throne at the end...

People said the same about Michelle Fairley and D&D when they said Catelyn was not coming back, "it's obvious they lie and Stoneheart will be in season 4!!!". Well, now it's season 6 and she's still dead.

I think Jon will come back but the more I think about it, the more I doubt...

What if the Hardhome episode was done to give him a finale battle before he dies?

What if Jon's story was only to introduce the threat of the white walkers, the ineffective Night's Watch and the fall of the Wall to come?

What if Sansa goes to the Wall and then goes with Davos after Rickon? Mel could learn about Dany and the dragons and go after her. Their storylines can move on without Jon. And if you add Bran and Arya, the Starks are already too many...

What if Dany is the hero who will save the world from the white walkers? After all, the main musical theme of the series is Dany's personal theme, and the epic endings of season 1 and 3 were about her...

I love Jon and I want him back but if he dies in the last battle in the books, maybe they really cut him off from the show so Dany will have more screen time if she's the savior and the one on the Iron Throne at the end...

I dont think people were invested in LSH the same way, LSH is a book reader thing

As for the idea of 'more time for dany' i hope not!, its been a few years since i read the books i will admit but i dont remember her being as annoying as show dany

They have done very little work for this in the show. Warging is established for no Stark child except Bran, for example.

It seems to me that NOT bringing up warging in relation to Jon was purposeful in the show. It's the same reason they never considered bringing in LSH. They are trying very hard to keep viewers (the "unsullied," anyway) in the dark. LSH and references to Jon warging would make it abundantly clear that Jon's death is temporary. As it is, the show has included Dondarrion (who was resurrected) and the concept of warging (through Bran). But we haven't seen a resurrection on the show in two seasons, and without Bran this season, warging isn't on the front burner.

So if/when Jon DOES warg into Ghost, viewers will be surprised (which is what D&D want). And if Jon spends Season 6 inside Ghost, Kit won't be in the 6th season (although Jon will).

As for the idea of 'more time for dany' i hope not!, its been a few years since i read the books i will admit but i dont remember her being as annoying as show dany

If there is only 2 seasons left, she won't stay forever in Mereen and do boring stuff. With the help of Tyrion/Varys and maybe the dothrakis, she will soon come to Westeros and that will be really interesting to see...

Comparing LSH's character and Jon's seems inadequate, there's no way we can compare their respective arcs and importance to/in the story.

That said, I can see a scenario as the one described by @The Eunuch. They are determined to finish the series - we'll have 2 more seasons. If Jon dies at some much later point in the books, and the endgame is Dany & the amazing dragons v WW, I can see the show chopping off as much as they can much sooner than the books. Will it be great storytelling? No. Will it be as layered and developed and nuanced as the books? Hell, no. But that ship has sailed. They've already stripped so many elements and depth from the story that I can see this as an option for the show.

Archived