How big was the Boltons' Army?

Fox Mulder

I was wondering if anyone has counted the Bolton soldiers or can give a rough estimate. To me that Army looked pretty large. Where the hell were you guys when the King in the North was fighting the Southron lords?

Somebody might even be able to eyeball it.

Here is a link:

http://i.imgur.com/DMVojyP.png

My guess is less than 6-10 thousand but thats just eyeballing it. vs Stannis thousand or so men. But I could be completely off. What do y'all think?

Just count one block, that is fifty men and count the blocks. That is 38 to 42. I guess its 40. So thats 2000 soldiers on one side. Not that much. YOu need to play more TotalWar-Games my friend :)

No, really. I was just wondering if they maybe used their engine or something similiar. It just looks too much like those games... And that it's 40 "units" a 50 soldiers doesnt help. It totally looks like total war. Usually the max is 20 for one side, but there are mods....

Stannis has Blocks too, but not on your screenshot. He has 8x20 soldiers in a line, three lines more or less intact. So that is 500 men. The remaining part is not in formation, so its useless to count them. But it looks like "the other half". I guess its 1000.

Dont let the looks mislead you. Horses are a lot bigger than foot soldiers.

Just count one block, that is fifty men and count the blocks. That is 38 to 42. I guess its 40. So thats 2000 soldiers on one side. Not that much. YOu need to play more TotalWar-Games my friend :)

No, really. I was just wondering if they maybe used their engine or something similiar. It just looks too much like those games...

Stannis is a lot harder, since no blocks. But I guess not more than 1200. Dont let the looks mislead you. Horses are a lot bigger than foot soldiers ;)

Dude its just for good visuals. They dont expect us to count their army size from it.

Stannis had 4000 men + 4000 cavalry.

They showed all his cavalry gone.

So 4000 men.

Agreed it looked quite stupid like around 200 men behind him.

Anyway @OP.

Roose is warden of the north.

I assume he had an army of atleast 12000.

This is pretty cool.

I would have said 500 or so for team Stannis, perhaps 1000 is acceptable.

Dude its just for good visuals. They dont expect us to count their army size from it.

Stannis had 4000 men + 4000 cavalry.

They showed all his cavalry gone.

So 4000 men.

Agreed it looked quite stupid like around 200 men behind him.

Anyway @OP.

Roose is warden of the north.

I assume he had an army of atleast 12000.

Pretty sure that Stannis had many deserters among the footmen as well. Those numbers look too large.

Any chance you can count the army Stannis had when he attached the wildlings ? to see what he started with ?

I mean I assumed that he started with a 10.000 - 15.000 sellsword army at the very least, maybe more, in order to subdue an army of said 100.000.

However I would not get into the rational analysis since D&D make things up as they go. Very very poor and sloppy writing and going just for shock makes bad practice. The only way I see for the Boltons to have such a chivalry is if LF gathered the Riverlands to aid, but no hint to that, or proof, except LF talk with Cercei a while ago.

All of Roose's army looked to be mounted. Maybe we can assume he had his infantry ready behing the cavalry charge. I wouldn't let it worry you too much. Even if Stannis outnumbered Roose 2:1 Roose's men were fed, rested, prepared and largely on horse. Stannis' men were undernourished, lacked even basic defences other than whatever natural defences they could find, and were all on foot. It was a total massacre and chillingly done.

Someone worked it out, it came to somewhere around 3300.

Stannis vs Wildlings ? 3300 ? 3300 against 100.000 ? I mean I do think that they were less than that... but probably still well above 20.000 (since Mance sacrificed 500 in the first raid just to test the defences). But 3300 good sellswords can't really be better than 20.000+ plus a giant.

I assumed he at least started with close to ten thousand. Also remembering from Daenerys plot, one ship can carry 100 men. And Stannis had...more than 33 ships, right ?

Renown military commander Stannis Baratheon leads a outnumbered ragged column of men, who apparently don't know what a formation means, into the jaws of properly lined up army. Yeah....

Stannis vs Wildlings ? 3300 ? 3300 against 100.000 ? I mean I do think that they were less than that... but probably still well above 20.000 (since Mance sacrificed 500 in the first raid just to test the defences). But 3300 good sellswords can't really be better than 20.000+ plus a giant.

I assumed he at least started with close to ten thousand. Also remembering from Daenerys plot, one ship can carry 100 men. And Stannis had...more than 33 ships, right ?

100,000 people. Not 100,000 fighters.

Remember in all wars in westeros. If the people get the sense they are losing, they give up, surrender, or escape.

I'm sure half the fighters would have pissed themselves when 3000 horsers march against you.

They have brittle weapons, many don't fight and the rest reteated to hardhome.

Also 3000 is from visual counting and 100,000 was from Mance's dialogue. So you see the problem?

Again..why are we arguing D&D logic? :p

PS: plz don't use a "dot" separator.

Renown military commander Stannis Baratheon leads a outnumbered ragged column of men, who apparently don't know what a formation means, into the jaws of properly lined up army. Yeah....

I do not know a military commander who was that stubborn. Soo "YEAH"

If he had brains he would retreat to CB.

He gave up on his "military commander" self the day he let his greed for the IT get the better of him.

Stannis had 32 ships.

And Stannis attacked them while they were eating breakfast, so uhm. . . Yeah?

I was totally WTF about the entire situation. First Stannis loses his cavalry by desertion, finds his wife having commited suicide and then proceeds to march straight on towards "Death or glory". OK, I could ALMOST accept that as credible, but nothing - NOTHING - in the preceeding parts of the story has even remotely indicated that the Boltons would be able to field thousands of cavalry troops - let alone that they were gathered at Winterfell to mount an attack like the one we saw. Remember that they were prepairing for a siege, and then you don't garrison the place to the brink of overcrowding with men and horses that would need to be both accomodated and fed throughout the expected hard weather.

So seriously, where did the troops come from? Was it Stannis' own deserted cavalry that turned against him, or do the screen writers simply expect the viewers to drink whatever Kool Aid is put on the table in front of them...?

In the Battle of Castle Black, Stannis had some 2800 men (based on a count of what you saw on screen), all mounted. Now at Winterfell, he has 1300 men left (again based on what is seen on screen), and not even has a horse left for himself. So 1500 died or deserted together with all the horses.

But we also saw some Baratheon Soldiers at Hardhome with the fleet, and surely there must be some forces at Dragonstone and Storm's End. Maybe these add in total up to the 4000 men Stannis claimed to have as he spoke with the Iron Bank.

And also he mentioned several times that he hired sellswords, but we never really saw them on screen. There were always only the Baratheon soldiers with the typical helmet they wore since the battle of the blackwater.

Archived