Crack pot theory: R + L = J + A?

rivers snow

BTW there has been a leak of Season 6 script (it might be fake...). I won't post it here, go and look yourself.

But it has a line "...is the One Who Was Promised." when referring to certain character.

Show-related spoiler

That appears to reference Daenerys.

http://winteriscoming.net/2015/06/21/game-of-thrones-season-6-audition-leak/

OP: I have seen this suggested before, and I won't call it crackpot, but I do not think it is true. Simply because I think R+L had only one child. They only found six direwolves, not seven.

If the number of direwolves are not important, I'd prefer the theory that R+L=J and Ned+Ashara=Aegon. That way, we have Ned's son - Aegon - growing up believing he is Rhaegar's, and Rhaegar's son - Jon - growing up believing he is Ned's. Aegon being Ned and Ashara's son would explain his purple eyes and Lemore=Ashara.

Maybe Varys is actually a secret Stark loyalist - who knows? ;).

OP: I have seen this suggested before, and I won't call it crackpot, but I do not think it is true. Simply because I think R+L had only one child. They only found six direwolves, not seven.

If the number of direwolves are not important, I'd prefer the theory that R+L=J and Ned+Ashara=Aegon. That way, we have Ned's son - Aegon - growing up believing he is Rhaegar's, and Rhaegar's son - Jon - growing up believing he is Ned's. Aegon being Ned and Ashara's son would explain his purple eyes and Lemore=Ashara.

So....Ashara is parading around her son completely naked? That is um...no, just no.

Brandon knocked up Ashara, it perfectly fits what we know of his character. It does not fit Ned. Ashara miscarried the child.

Crack pot theory time:

Ashara and Elia were BFFs just like Rhaegar and Arthur. Once it became obvious that Elia couldn't carry another child, the plan was for Ashara to birth the 3rd head of the dragon. Things went wrong at Harrenhal when that northern Lothario, Brandon Stark, seduced and bedded Ashara. She became pregnant. She miscarried the child. Rhaegar worried she couldn't successfully carry his child. He then remembered the wild Stark girl that he had named the Queen of Love and Beauty as a reward for her role as the Knight of the Laughing Tree. He sought out Lyanna and it eventually led to Jon Snow.

i never actually said they werent conquerors i said BIG conquerors which means, they werent that much known before doom since there were many bigger families, and G R R MARTIN said that Valayrian society was a like Roman Society where they freehold was controlled by powerful families, so Targs didnt really have to take part in any war but offcourse you are right and i agree with you it didnt mean that they didnt take part in wars, maybe they have maybe they didnt, we dont know i am just saying what valayrians thought about them and how they were much known before doom.

AND YES VALAYRIANS didnt really thought very highly of them as mentioned here

"within its shining walls, two score rival houses vied for power and glory in court and counncil, rising and falling in an endless sabtle, oft savage struggle for dominance. The Targaryens were far from most powerful of the dragonlords and their rivals saw their flight to dragonstone as an act of surrender as cowardice."

once again i said VALAYRIANS thought of them that way not me personally, i think they were clever and thats why they survived.

So coming back to the point once again

i think personally targs or valayrians they happen to get their hands of dragons and they were the first one to properly tame them but they obviously didnt have so called dragonblood in them, offcourse when it comes to MAGIC it exists in many different races of men in the world of ice and fire like wildlings and northmen have warging powers etc but it doest mean warging or green seeing is only property of first men or northmen or the children, we now know that 1 eyed raven isnt northmen or stark or wildling he happens to have so called dragonblood in him yet he is one of the most powerfull warg or greenseer in the world.

What i am trying to say here is that, targs arent more special then lets say starks, they are powerfull because they cracked the code of taming the dragon using magic but it is also known that this taming and controlling of dragon can happen without using any blood magic aswell, there is this girl ( she could be a targ bastard but it isnt mentioned anywhere) who happens to ride a dragon and was a wonder to many people again it is mentioned in WOIAF book. She flew away in the end with her dragon.

i am just saying i like the idea that the story could be that cleverly written and would make a whole lot of sense to me if danny is indeed

targ and stark both where JON BEING bastard of brandon.

It will make a whole lot sense to me when it comes to the dreams danny has been having and the thing she needs to remember is that

she isnt what her brother told her she is daughter of R who thought he would father a child a saviour, it makes danny more powerful then we thought because R was no fool or mad like his father.

Also the thing with lemo trees it is very convincing to me because in books martin on many different places left these clues like about lemons coming from dorne lemons coming from dorne and suddenly lemon trees in dannys fever dream and she needs to remember and red door and all so if we concentrate it makes much more sense to me.

I know many ppl say R + L = J became so obvious because we know it for so long i agree but fact it i managed to figure it out

before i knew many other people did :D it was too obvious to me that NED isnt father of Jon.

You could also be right but i believe and i strongely believ FA is this fake dragon danny dreamt about,

I believe 3 heads of dragon could very much be Tyrion danny and jon, doesnt mean JON HAS to have TARG blood to ride dragon.

He just has to be a very powerfull warg.

Last point you mentioned that they gave hatchlings to targ babys and thats how they bounded but this fact is mentioned by maesters and remember from F O C we know it is believed that maesters are the ones behind killing off all the dragons, they hide alot more information then we believe, they dont like magic, they despise it because it makes thing uncertain for them.

SO IT IS POSSIBLE they are hiding exactly how dragons bounded with targ kids and once again it doesnt have to involve BLOOD MAGIC

i believe it just happend and needed some sort of magic not BLOOD MAGIC and that magic or charm or what ever you want to call them could be given to targs for generations through food, drinks or many other ways and thats how they could tame dragons or it is just happens naturally because of there close proximity to dragons for so long....

in the end TARGS arent so special that they are the ONLY ones with power to control dragons, their blood isnt that special.

Ok, I understand. I just wanted to point out about history book- the source is not reliable, because of different reasons and I just have another point of view on this matter. That's all.

As to "Tags happen to get their hand of dragons", I must say point against that point of view: there are a lot of stories (including Dany's) when Targ women gave birth to semi-dragon children, all dead. It seems some sort of magic is in their blood. It is very interesting that it happens only when a woman is a Targ, not when it is a woman from another house and a father is a Targ. So I wouldn't be so sure that they just happen to have the dragons by accident. Though, I still believe that the taming is not only a matter of having "dragon blood".

Additionally, Stark connection particularly with direwolves is not accidental as well. That is not a common warging, that's more something like a binding. The wolves and the Stark children are one. Even Sansa sensed that she lost part of her and that Lady is always somewhere inside her. Starks have First Men blood in them. I think there are a lot interesting stuff with First men's blood.

I presume, you are referring to Brandyn Rivers aka Bloodraven? Well, if you must know he is a descendant of a one of the Kings of the First men and a very devoted Old Gods follower. He actually is one of the not many of his kind: both descendant of First men and Targs. For example, there are no marriages or children between Starks (we know that the North, particularly because of Starks- descendants and Kings of the First men, is devoted to the Old Gods and the Old way) and Targs, at least so far we know no example. Though, there was a Pact of Ice and Fire- a marriage between Starks and Targs agreement- that was never fulfilled. First men have their abilities from the Children, it seems. The Andals didn't have those abilities, they obviously were afraid of them and thought of them as abomination of some sort, witchcraft or whatever (7 star followers).

There are few examples of Targs in the history who had prophetic dreams, so there is some kind of magic in their blood, I think.

The girl you referring to is Nettles, I was actually referring to her story as well. Though, some people argue that she had dragon blood.

I actually think that the story is indeed cleverly written we just have to wait and find out how exactly. I have my favourite crack pot theories, but I am open to the other ideas as well.

The hatching was mentioned not only by maesters, but in Dung and Egg stories, only about 100 years past since the last dragon died. The problem is why they died out, was that maesters doings? Or it has something to do with Magic in that world in general. We know that weirwood trees are magical and they've been there for thousand years, what if they used to be everywhere in the world, including Valyria?

Brandon knocked up Ashara, it perfectly fits what we know of his character. It does not fit Ned. Ashara miscarried the child.

Crack pot theory time:

Ashara and Elia were BFFs just like Rhaegar and Arthur. Once it became obvious that Elia couldn't carry another child, the plan was for Ashara to birth the 3rd head of the dragon. Things went wrong at Harrenhal when that northern Lothario, Brandon Stark, seduced and bedded Ashara. She became pregnant. She miscarried the child. Rhaegar worried she couldn't successfully carry his child. He then remembered the wild Stark girl that he had named the Queen of Love and Beauty as a reward for her role as the Knight of the Laughing Tree. He sought out Lyanna and it eventually led to Jon Snow.

Not miscarried- gave birth to a stillborn girl, according to the official history. We also know about Allyria Dayne, Edric Dayne's aunt. She is very young and we don't know how old is she. She could be Ashara's daughter, not her sister. That's a theory. Also, Cersei mentioned a stolen baby to Ned, something he didn't like to hear. It is an interesting thing: if Brandon or Ned dishonoured Ashara and later Ned killed Arthur, why would Daynes have that kind of respect for Ned Stark. Because he brought back the Dawn? Well, may be, but I personally think it should be much more than just that. It is even possible that Edric was called in Ned's honour and he actually was intrigued to see Ned closer, but didn't dare. There was no hate for person who killed a famous Sword of the Morning uncle, but curiosity. All that business with Wylla and being milk brothers with Jon Snow. Edric sounded like he liked that connection with Ned Stark rather than hated him. Curious.

Although, that theory you mentioned is quite interesting. Barristan said: " Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara’s daughter ... But Ashara’s daughter had been stillborn, and his fair lady had thrown herself from a tower soon after, mad with grief for the child she had lost, and perhaps for the man who had dishonored her at Harrenhal as well. " and " No good came from silence either. If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?"

May be there is something in your theory.

The thing is Barristan respected Ned, something I think he wouldn't do if Ned dishonoured Ashara. May be it was Brandon after all or may be she went for help to Brandon, and may be that was the reason why Brandon reacted to the abduction of Lyanna by Rhaegar in such wild manner (in addition to his natural wildness).

Not miscarried- gave birth to a stillborn girl, according to the official history. We also know about Allyria Dayne, Edric Dayne's aunt. She is very young and we don't know how old is she. She could be Ashara's daughter, not her sister. That's a theory. Also, Cersei mentioned a stolen baby to Ned, something he didn't like to hear. It is an interesting thing: if Brandon or Ned dishonoured Ashara and later Ned killed Arthur, why would Daynes have that kind of respect for Ned Stark. Because he brought back the Dawn? Well, may be, but I personally think it should be much more than just that. It is even possible that Edric was called in Ned's honour and he actually was intrigued to see Ned closer, but didn't dare. There was no hate for person who killed a famous Sword of the Morning uncle, but curiosity. All that business with Wylla and being milk brothers with Jon Snow. Edric sounded like he liked that connection with Ned Stark rather than hated him. Curious.

Although, that theory you mentioned is quite interesting. Barristan said: " Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara’s daughter ... But Ashara’s daughter had been stillborn, and his fair lady had thrown herself from a tower soon after, mad with grief for the child she had lost, and perhaps for the man who had dishonored her at Harrenhal as well. " and " No good came from silence either. If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?"

The thing is Barristan respected Ned, something I think he wouldn't do if Ned dishonoured Ashara. May be it was Brandon after all or may be she went for help to Brandon, and may be that was the reason why Brandon reacted to the abduction of Lyanna by Rhaegar in such wild manner (in addition to his natural wildness).

It also could have been Benjen, and after he heard Ashara and the kid died, he decided to go to the wall. Remember the line he said to Jon: Have you ever been with a woman before. Maybe Benjen had confessed to Brandon, which could also have been a catalyst for his anger for not only losing his Sister to a Targ, but also a brother.

It also could have been Benjen, and after he heard Ashara and the kid died, he decided to go to the wall. Remember the line he said to Jon: Have you ever been with a woman before. Maybe Benjen had confessed to Brandon, which could also have been a catalyst for his anger for not only losing his Sister to a Targ, but also a brother.

No it could not. He was too young, unfortunately, to father any son during the Harrenhall tourney. But, I agree, I have always thought those Benjen lines are very interesting.

Ok, I understand. I just wanted to point out about history book- the source is not reliable, because of different reasons and I just have another point of view on this matter. That's all.

As to "Tags happen to get their hand of dragons", I must say point against that point of view: there are a lot of stories (including Dany's) when Targ women gave birth to semi-dragon children, all dead. It seems some sort of magic is in their blood. It is very interesting that it happens only when a woman is a Targ, not when it is a woman from another house and a father is a Targ. So I wouldn't be so sure that they just happen to have the dragons by accident. Though, I still believe that the taming is not only a matter of having "dragon blood".

Additionally, Stark connection particularly with direwolves is not accidental as well. That is not a common warging, that's more something like a binding. The wolves and the Stark children are one. Even Sansa sensed that she lost part of her and that Lady is always somewhere inside her. Starks have First Men blood in them. I think there are a lot interesting stuff with First men's blood.

I presume, you are referring to Brandyn Rivers aka Bloodraven? Well, if you must know he is a descendant of a one of the Kings of the First men and a very devoted Old Gods follower. He actually is one of the not many of his kind: both descendant of First men and Targs. For example, there are no marriages or children between Starks (we know that the North, particularly because of Starks- descendants and Kings of the First men, is devoted to the Old Gods and the Old way) and Targs, at least so far we know no example. Though, there was a Pact of Ice and Fire- a marriage between Starks and Targs agreement- that was never fulfilled. First men have their abilities from the Children, it seems. The Andals didn't have those abilities, they obviously were afraid of them and thought of them as abomination of some sort, witchcraft or whatever (7 star followers).

There are few examples of Targs in the history who had prophetic dreams, so there is some kind of magic in their blood, I think.

The girl you referring to is Nettles, I was actually referring to her story as well. Though, some people argue that she had dragon blood.

I actually think that the story is indeed cleverly written we just have to wait and find out how exactly. I have my favourite crack pot theories, but I am open to the other ideas as well.

The hatching was mentioned not only by maesters, but in Dung and Egg stories, only about 100 years past since the last dragon died. The problem is why they died out, was that maesters doings? Or it has something to do with Magic in that world in general. We know that weirwood trees are magical and they've been there for thousand years, what if they used to be everywhere in the world, including Valyria?

Targs happen to get their hands on dragons, i mean its my theory and not a FACT, ppl believe all sorts of things, like some belive ppl from ashai actually worked with dragons first and there are other views so i believe valyrians were just normal human beings like all other and the magic they used (which might have come from ashai), slowly changed them and close proximity to dragons and all that blood magic or magic did change them a bit.

you said: when Targ women gave birth to semi-dragon children, all dead. It seems some sort of magic is in their blood. It is very interesting that it happens only when a woman is a Targ, not when it is a woman from another house and a father is a Targ. So I wouldn't be so sure that they just happen to have the dragons by accident. Though, I still believe that the taming is not only a matter of having "dragon blood".

it isnt actually correct and if you read WOIAF you will notice that it happened to many Targs and it didnt matter if mother was targ or not, those dead children you are taking about are called dead monsters or abominatons in the book and can easily be explained, it could be because brother sister marriages in their past generations, sometimes genetics can do these sorts of things, even today sometimes babies are born with tails, so called wings are a conditions not unknown in real world but in medical world they know exactly what that is and what causes it, it happened in our middle ages it happens even today but today things like that can be prevented because we are a modern society and we have mostly solved these sorts of problem but in old societys were vampires and werewolves used to room the nights :D these deformed dead babies were just something humans couldnt really prevent and they didnt have logical answer to that so they called them monsters, cursed and you wont believe that in old indian history women were put to dead if they gave birth to so called rakshasas (monsters) and its fact of our real world.

Also here are the name of women who were targs but wives of a targ who was known to have so called monster babies.

First are Blackbrides:

Elinor Costayne: NOT A TARG and birthed dead winged monster

Jeyne Westerling: Not a Targ and birthed another still born monster

Ceryse Hightower : not a targ no living child came from her.

Alys Horroway: not a targ ,first child came from her but dead and monster

Tyanna of Pentos: claimed she used magic on his dead wives to make sure maegor didnt get kids and when he killed her, he married again and once again NO KID only dead monsters.

so list goes on and on with tagrs even aerys was suffering from similar things.

my point is, i dont believe it has anything to do with magic, it might be because of incest those things became part of targs and effected some more then others just like it happens in reality, it has nothing to do with so called dragon blood and nettles might have been a targ bastard due to the fact many so called commoners saw them as gods and they had many bastards and all but still i strongely believe that anyone with knowledge or magic or maybe and i say JUST MAYBE very strong ability to WARG might give you control of a dragon but dragonblood in targs, i just cant believe that. Yes targs have some connections to dragons as mentioned by maesters in WOIAF and i am not doubting it but as i said in my previous posts it could be because of close proxmity to dragons for SO LONG or some sort of potion or drink or charm that they took when they are still infants but outside force was a factor in targs control their dragons soo perfectly that they were able to manuever them better then do our jet planes, make them kill each other fire at will land at will and all.

"Additionally, Stark connection particularly with direwolves is not accidental as well. That is not a common warging, that's more something like a binding. The wolves and the Stark children are one. Even Sansa sensed that she lost part of her and that Lady is always somewhere inside her. Starks have First Men blood in them. I think there are a lot interesting stuff with First men's blood. I presume, you are referring to Brandyn Rivers aka Bloodraven? Well, if you must know he is a descendant of a one of the Kings of the First men and a very devoted Old Gods follower. He actually is one of the not many of his kind: both descendant of First men and Targs. For example, there are no marriages or children between Starks (we know that the North, particularly because of Starks- descendants and Kings of the First men, is devoted to the Old Gods and the Old way) and Targs, at least so far we know no example. Though, there was a Pact of Ice and Fire- a marriage between Starks and Targs agreement- that was never fulfilled. First men have their abilities from the Children, it seems. The Andals didn't have those abilities, they obviously were afraid of them and thought of them as abomination of some sort, witchcraft or whatever (7 star followers). "

Well the connection you are taking about so called binding, its more of a wolf thingy if you remember 6 skins character in the start of DWD, according to sixskins some animals are harder to control then others but wolves or dogs are totally different so what he said about wolves proves that stark kids werent special but Bran is special because he is a greenseer but remember he isnt the only one there used to be more and there might be more all around the world. Starks overall are just descendant from first men who might have had those abilities because of children or maybe they have their DNS running through them or maybe their close proximity to weirwoods etc. Just like targs first men used to be just MEN because they came to westeros they were just men even till the time they were fighting children, they started having these powers MAYBE (NOT SURE) after the pact and they started believing and living close to so called OLD GODS which in this case are weirwoods.

Yes you are right bloodraven has the blood of first men from his mothers side a very well known family from age of heroes you care correct but as one of the lannisters once said that all of us have the blood of first men, today targs, lannisters, tullys, dornishmen all have that blood but still why this ability is linked to northmen or wildings? as i said maybe cuz of their close proximity to weirwoods just like targs close proximity to dragons gave them some sort of magical abilities perhaps a small connection with dragons but once that connection was lost dragons stopped hatching just like not many (if any) southerners posses warging or greenseeing ability because they arent close to weirwoods.

Bloodraven was known spymaster he knew things that happend far away and we all know he saw it through his powers yet their are other characters mentioned who have no big name and are from south with same level of ability to spy! like this lady damon targ used to like the owner of a brothel i believe (sorry i cant remember her name). She might have ability to see aswell.

I storngely believe there are many powerfull character who are playing each other in ASOIAF and those are:

Bloodraven, shroudedlord, bravosi assasins, Quaithe, maester marwyn from citidel

i think these guys are really playing the game of thrones but on a very very large scale, they are the major factor in world politics and who is in control and who isnt. I believe these guys use their magical abilites to control fate of things.

Dornish and lords of east are known to have dreams aswell or fever dreams, there are many none targs even none westerosi with this ability but i dont think its again in BLOOD i believe its magic and choosen some due to a REASON (maybe because of the ppl mentioned above) they get those dreams, maybe even maester marwyn uses his bloody candle to effect things and dreams of ppl to manipulate them and you can get clues in fof.

As i said many believe Maesters did kill the dragons because of destructions they caused, maesters never fully understood the magic so what they didnt understand it became either impossible or they try to hide it and cover it up so ppl forget about it and live in world created by maesters and controlled by time which can be explained with logic.

This is the reason why i like to believe that Brandon + Ashara = Jon and Rhaegar + Lyanna = Danny Makes danny stronger and more powerfull then we think.

to be honest i think there is more chance of meera jojens sister being jon snows sister as they r the same age and have alot shared features. my reasoning that it is not r+l= jon and aegon is that if he was the blood of the starks like jon why send him to live with some one ned fought and defeated. he raised jon as his own just as he promised. dont u think sending a twin to live with an exlied knight kinda defeats the prepose of raising jon in the safety of winterfell and the north were no one can hurt him. why send a twin away make so sence to be honest. at least ned would of known howleen would of raised meera with love and repect as lyana saved howleen from an ass whiping patched him up and introduced him to the starks. ned new howleen was hounorable and trusted him with his life. if aegon isnt who varys says he is he is more than likly a blackfire from a female lineage. my thoughs any way.

Dany. Arianne. Valyrians.

No offense, but it's a bit annoying to read names misspelled several times, especially in long posts and in uppercase letters.

none taken and no offence but please ignore the post you find annoying.

Ppl take all sorts of wrong names all over the forums like targs danny R + L = J etc etc if we are taking about taking proper names then everyone should take proper name

Mode deleted my previous post because i asked you to just ignore the post you think is annoying, i am free to take names anyway i like if people can turn Rhaegar into just R i can turn valyrians into valayrians, or arryana etc etc.

I am not being offensive to anyone or rude to anyone, i am not taking your personal name wrong or attacking anyone personally, i am free to use the names of characters in fantasy the way i want just like many ppl turn targaryens into targs or daenerys into danny.

Although, that theory you mentioned is quite interesting. Barristan said: " Daenerys has the same eyes Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara’s daughter . ... But Ashara’s daughter had been stillborn, and his fair lady had thrown herself from a tower soon after, mad with grief for the child she had lost, and perhaps for the man who had dishonored her at Harrenhal as well. " and " No good came from silence either. If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?"

Im certain Edric nicknamed Ned was some kind of honour to Ned Stark, he returned Dawn, and I believe also presented them with Aegon 2, purely because his look was similar to the Daynes, and he was aware of there loyalty to Rhaegar.

I dont think Barristan's comment about Daenerys looking like Asharas daughter is anything more than an old man's reminisce of a beauty he loved having similar coloured eyes and great beauty in common.

As for Ashara's fling at Harrenhal, it was Brandon. As far as Selmy was concerned at least.

It's an interesting theory. I can't say you've completely convinced me yet, but I can't throw it out completely either.

Though to be fair, I think one of the main reasons it makes sense is just because we have so little back story as to the true story of R+L, and (f)( r )(whatevah)Aegon's backstory as well. It's easy to fill in the holes with what we'd like to believe when there are so many friggin' holes. However, you've presented a strong case, and I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility. Good job :cheers:

Archived