Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 3 (Book Spoilers)

Veltigar

A randomn HP interlude: As someone who was never really involved in the whole shipping thing while the HP series was ongoing, I do think that HP/Hermione would have been a better endgame all things considered. Funnily enough, even JKR agrees with that. She even came out and said so in an interview IIRC. It's kind of hard to argue against the idea after that XD

OT but I want to argue against that. JKR was just pandering to that vociferous and mistaken minority.

Harry saw Hermione and Ron essentially as the family he never had. He never saw Hermione that way because she and Ron were like siblings to him. Added to which, him getting with Ginny meant they actually became family by law. I could go into further details why it's better the way it went but I feel this is the only element that really matters.

I just watched the latest episode. I feel f@#$%ng cheated when it comes to the Stannis storyline. It feels like his round trip around Westeros was big damn waste of time as a viewer and his end was anticlimatic. At least give me a final blaze of glory where his run to Winterfell actually mattered a little.

@LeCygne You are positively channeling them today. You could just write all of season 6, here and now.

The would explain the need for another shower. It's usually humidity, or a Cersei AFFC reread, that causes me to feel the need for an extra shower. Now I get it and I think I'll spring for the expensive body wash.

ETA: I have no idea how I lost the OG quote, I give up, and I am going for that shower.

Great literature must have all three. You can have in-depth worldbuilding, an excellent supporting cast and a thematically rich storyline. In fact, I'd say that thet first two are almost indespensible to create an outstanding storyline filled with thematic depth. That's what makes the Northern storylines in ADWD such a dazzling experience.

Daenerys arc in ADWD on the other hand mostly lacks the first two. The ideas are certainly there, but they aren't properly worked out. The atrocious worldbuilding for Slaver's Bay (and indeed Qarth and the Dothraki) is a problem that is especially egregious when contrasted with the mostly excellent work done on Westeros. And some of the supporting cast is woefully bad. Prime example being Daario imo. The idea of the bad boy mercenary tempting Daenerys into a bloody path and forcing her to choose between personal happines and peace is in itself great, but due to the ridiculousness of the character it just falls flat.

Luckily, it looks like tWoW will finally give Daenerys a worthy supporting cast. Giving Ser Barristan a PoV was a great decision, although perhaps he should have gotten one sooner. The attention that is given in the sample chapters to the Red Lamb and Brown Ben Plumm, as well as the arrival of Victarion, Moqorro, Tyrion and Ser Jorah is another grand sign. I also suspect the readers will finally be vindicated, with the Slaver's Bay setting probably ending up as good as destroyed.

I never agreed the world building or secondary cast were at all bad in my view; that is merely yours. I simply would not put it on the level of the worldbuilding and depth of the North's culture for example. I most certainly do not look on Slaver's Bay as atrotious world building, and I also reject the notions it is utterly removed from our reality too, in some aspects of its world and in the ideas presented by the Ghiscari as a whole. Same with Daario; that is your own, personal problem. And I look at it as a character piece on Daenerys and into matters such as peace or war as a personal conflict, the cost of peace, freedom etc. and I found it dealt with those matters and themes spectacularly and one little line in Daenerys X truly stunned me on a second reread. However, Daenerys is only piece of the puzzle with the wider story arc at Slaver's Bay. It appears were agree on the depth of the ideas GRRM presented yet are at an impasse regarding the execution. However, this comes down to merely personal, highly subjective views so I can see it availing to little to continue arguing over they way Daario was executed, etc.

However, the Northern storyline from Jon, Davos, Asha and Theon's PoV was absolutely my favorite aspect of ADwD and indeed "dazzling". I'll have to likely do a reread of ADwD only from Northern PoVs in the order they appear.

I'm sure it's creeping you out because you're having that deja vu feeling and not quite sure why? It's just a redux of Renly, Loras, and Marg, LOL Luckily, we have a couple ways out of this. Death for one of the three, or.......St. Tyrion being just too saintly in the long run.

OMG you're absolutely right. That's exactly why.

And you're probably right. Saint Tyrion will turn down the opportunity because he hasn't got over the Shae debacle. I haven't got over the Shae debacle either!

Hahaha, I have to disagree here. I'd still do Larry The Lunkhead, he's cute and does have that deep, meaningful Tarth Gaze going for him, but Phil Dunphy, HA. Every time I watch Modern Family, I come away amazed that he and Claire have children, ya know what I'm sayin'?

LOL, yeah, Claire is way out of his league, but I thought Myrcella was totally channeling Hayley in that scene of the low cut dress. There were even stereotypical foreigners like Sofia Vergara, throwing wine on the floor and shit. Oh, those crazy, irrational foreigners, amirite?

But if I'm being totally honest NCW doesn't strike me as mancrush material anyway

*runs to underground shelter*

And you're probably right. Saint Tyrion will turn down the opportunity because he hasn't got over the Shae debacle. I haven't got over the Shae debacle either!

I think Tywin's DID infected Shae, like how Batfinger's voice infected Jon, giving him an odd rasp.

LOL, yeah, Claire is way out of his league, but I thought Myrcella was totally channeling Hayley in that scene of the low cut dress. There were even stereotypical foreigners like Sofia Vergara, throwing wine on the floor and shit. Oh, those crazy, irrational foreigners, amirite?

But if I'm being totally honest NCW doesn't strike me as mancrush material anyway

I only watched it a few times, however this Claire character is perhaps the most insufferable one in the entire show.

Carol and Larry, new CBS sitcom coming this fall

I hear in the pilot Larry spies on Trysty when Myrcella informs him of the Gullstown Tourn--Prom. Wacky hijinks ensue as Larry tries to gather information whilst also tirelessly searching for a gift for Cersei's nameday. Don't worry though, good old Uncle Geri--Jerry is there to help!

I'm sure ShowTyrion is much too saintly to offer up the Magical Dwarf Penis to the detriment of GreyWorm. Any hankypanky would have to be instituted by GreyWorm and Missy, begging for St. Tyrion's help. It is known.

You may be joking, but I think there's a high chance of that actually happening on the show.

He will say: "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."

But I think he may end up saying yes, after all, just because he is such a great and generous guy. And this will be the only way to have St. Tyrion have sex again after his beloved Shae's death, out of generosity and a desire to help.

No need to run, mancrushes are, in the long run, opinion. And, I'm not sure which show I may never view in the same way again. LOL As far as Claire being out of Phil's league, well.........there's something I don't like about Claire, sooooooooo, for me, it's not even that type of thing. Out of the two of them, I like Phil better, but not enough to even consider one little pity romp, nope, not a one.

https://www.facebook.com/GameOfThrones/photos/pb.74133697733.-2207520000.1434927835./10152956804377734/?type=3&theater

Poster for Carol and Larry, coming this fall, advertising the pilot with Mrycella and Trysty's Gulltown Prom and Larry's hilarious bumbling father antics.

Lol at the comments:

"Myrcella, get in the car."

"NO DADDY I LOVE HIM"

"Please come with me, I incest"

"Uncle Jaime? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be taking Riverrun?"

You may be joking, but I think there's a high chance of that actually happening on the show.

He will say: "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it."

But I think he may end up saying yes, after all, just because he is such a great and generous guy. And this will be the only way to have St. Tyrion have sex again after his beloved Shae's death, out of generosity and a desire to help.

I am kind of joking, but I do also realize that it is a distinct possibility that we will get some semblance of a 'triangle' here. Oh Lordy, and Varys can, again, try and save St Tyrion from himself. Perhaps this time Varys will succeed. I should stop, this mess is writing itself. :leaving: .

No need to run, mancrushes are, in the long run, opinion. And, I'm not sure which show I may never view in the same way again. LOL As far as Claire being out of Phil's league, well.........there's something I don't like about Claire, sooooooooo, for me, it's not even that type of thing. Out of the two of them, I like Phil better, but not enough to even consider one little pity romp, nope, not a one.

I find both characters insufferable. I certainly don't think Claire is out of Phil's league. Despite really enjoying the show, both characters are such bland tropes.

Anyway, I've been gone all weekend, Rants and Raves Friends. Have I missed anything fun?

Lol at the comments:

"Myrcella, get in the car."

"NO DADDY I LOVE HIM"

"Please come with me, I incest"

"Uncle Jaime? What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be taking Riverrun?"

"Uncle Jaime why are the Power Rangers attacking you?"

Archived