Which Theory Would You Be Most Satistfied To Learn To Be False?

Eh? You don't have to stray from the text to conclude that the FM are involved in more than assassinations:

The FM didn't start as assassins. The first of them apparently gave the gift of euthanasia. The subsequent gift to the masters also is implied to be the Doom (this isn't a certainty by any stretch of the imagination, but the implication is there).

I still don't like the theories of their conspiracies, like that they're helping the Others or that they're more then involved in Westeros politics

I wouldn't like Jon Snow story anymore if R+L=J was confirmed. Same goes fore A+J=T and other Targaryen lineage-related theories.

When I finished reading ADwD I had bitter feelings in EVERYTHING IS ALREADY SET AND BOUND TO HAPPEN mold. I really hope that GRRM will surprise us and most of these theories will prove wrong in the end.

I wouldn't like Jon Snow story anymore if R+L=J was confirmed. Same goes fore A+J=T and other Targaryen lineage-related theories.

When I finished reading ADwD I had bitter feelings in EVERYTHING IS ALREADY SET AND BOUND TO HAPPEN mold. I really hope that GRRM will surprise us and most of these theories will prove wrong in the end.

I love people think that R+L=J or A+J=T are NOT surprises or are too predictable.

With out the internet and the 15 + years that GRRM has taken to finish 95% of the people on here would have no idea that these were going to happen (myself included)\

I love people think that R+L=J or A+J=T are NOT surprises or are too predictable.

With out the internet and the 15 + years that GRRM has taken to finish 95% of the people on here would have no idea that these were going to happen (myself included)\

I agree. Saying something is "too obvious" isn't a good arguement.

Well you clearly misunderstood me. I didn't claim that GRRM writing is too obvious.

I don't know which direction the story is heading, but after reading ADwD I had a feeling that some storyline endings became improbable. For instance, I started worrying about Stannis Baratheon cause - he still may very well be the victor/savior of Westeros, but in my opinion, chances are slim. It's just one of the bad feelings I had after reading ADwD.

I hope my instincts are wrong and I'll be pleasantly surprised when TWoW finally comes around.

Regarding those major theories, I don't like most of them for other reasons. Again, I haven't said those things are transparent in source material. For example, if R+L=J is true, I think GRRM has done a good job of hiding it and sending us slight hints along the way.

Personally, I would be most satisfied to learn that the vast majority of fan theories are entirely false. The only exceptions would be Cleganebowl and Roose Bolton being an immortal face stealing monster. The big theories like R+L=J or anything to do with the identity of Azor Ahai or the "dragon must have three heads" stuff have always irked me. As a whole, R+L=J is the most widespread largely because it is one of the most obvious. It seems like the whole show/books have been building up these fatalistic, albeit blatantly obvious prophecies about the end. If for example, Dany wins, turns out to be Azor Ahai, rides a dragon along with Tyrion and Jon and then claims the throne and then lives happily ever after, I would be rather disappointed. I expect GRRM to surprise us.

I wanna be surprised, too. I would hate for GRRM to be spending all of these years to finish a story who's ending we have already figured out. I expect for there to be a few more twists and turns, and I also expect for a few mysteries to remain unsolved even after the story ends. Just like Tom Bombadil.

People seem to forget this little point.

True. In 10 or 50 years from here. People will read the books in sequence and will be surprised and delighted by this and that. What we have found until now, or we will found before the very end, should not matter, or influence GRRM writing in any way.

Archived