Why do Illyrio and Varys want a Targ to rule Westeros?

Walda

Assuming that Aegon is a Blackfyre, requires explaining what Varys was doing in King's Landing before Robert's Rebellion, because the Aegon plot clearlyhhadn't been cooked up before that. I suspect that Varys went to destabilze Aerys's regime. That's why he fed his paranoia. It would also explain why he exposed Rhaegar's Harrenhal plot. He was worried Rhaegar's coup would solidify Targaryen rule. I think Illyrio and the Golden Company were planning a sixth rebellion, but as Pycelle pointed out Robert was too strong and The Ned was too fast.

But with who as a figurehead? To get the Golden Company to go along, they need a Blackfyre. To the best of our knowledge, there were no one who could lead them at the time of the rebellion. And if there was someone, who miraculously have escaped mention in the book, where is he now? Replaced with Aegon? Moreover, what is the point of putting a Aegon on the throne? No one is going to know he is a Blackfyre. There are to many things about Illyrio and Varys that don't make sense with the information we have.

I tend to believe they are playing some kind of Xanatos speed chess, making up new plans as they go. But I do not understand why, and what actually is their plan.

They don't want. They never wanted. Viserys would never have won the IT. What was their plan for him is unclear. But I think they just wanted to create chaos. As varys did when counselling the mad king. If varys wanted a Targaryen, he would have helped Rhaegar. The wanted chaos, to later bring their savior Aegon. Possibly, they have a special hatred of the Targaryens too.

Their plan was always Aegon. They worked on it from his birth. And maybe before, since Varys came to KL. But Aegon is not Rhaegar's son. Why would Illyrio help him? Illyrio had a son, with Serra, a woman of Targaryen's look, but possibly Blackfyre. Aegon is very possibly their son. IMO, it is easier to believe Varys made it so the true Aegon was killed during the sack, than he anticipated Gregor action and organized the baby's swap.

But with who as a figurehead? To get the Golden Company to go along, they need a Blackfyre. To the best of our knowledge, there were no one who could lead them at the time of the rebellion. And if there was someone, who miraculously have escaped mention in the book, where is he now? Replaced with Aegon? Moreover, what is the point of putting a Aegon on the throne? No one is going to know he is a Blackfyre. There are to many things about Illyrio and Varys that don't make sense with the information we have.

My guess is Illyrio himself since I suspect he is Daemon Blackfyre's heir.

Well in the books theory is and the reasons why they wants to rule is the Key word here is FAMILY that Aegon Targaryen is really a Blackfyre's descendant. Illyrio is the father of Aegon and his wife was Blackfyre and Varys is really a bastard from an Aerion (Brightflame) Targaryen. He wants the any kind of Targaryen on throne does not matter to him if it Black Dragon or Red one.

In the show them fools wrote that Illyrio and Varys are part of group who concern who is sitting on throne. Illuminati of the world ice and fire ha, ha, ha, ha, that is JOKE! This show have ruin the true meaning of what is going on. IT about FAMILY and which is more powerful to sit on it. ps why would Illyrio and Varys be in group that is concern about who sit on Westeros's throne they both from Lys?

• 5 weeks later...

Well in the books theory is and the reasons why they wants to rule is the Key word here is FAMILY that Aegon Targaryen is really a Blackfyre's descendant. Illyrio is the father of Aegon and his wife was Blackfyre  and Varys is really a bastard from an Aerion (Brightflame) Targaryen. He wants the any kind of Targaryen on throne does not matter to him if it  Black Dragon or Red one.

In the show them fools wrote that Illyrio and Varys are part of group who concern who is sitting on throne. Illuminati of the world ice and fire ha, ha, ha, ha, that is JOKE! This show have ruin the true meaning of what is going on. IT about FAMILY and which is more powerful to sit on it. ps why would Illyrio and Varys be in group that is concern about who sit on Westeros's throne they both from Lys?

Certainly could be.  Varys and Illyrio certainly appear to have been plotting before Varys came to Westeros.

Archived