Who is the heir to House Dustin?

James Steller

• 3 weeks later...

Jon Snow .

You could possibly be right but I won't get into that theory here.

Anyway I think the reason might be that William's still alive.  Until his Barrow Lord bones are buried in one of the barrows of Barrowton, I think she either knows he's still alive, or there's someting weird about the whole thing because Ned didn't return the bones, so she's placeholding until something's proved for her one way or the other.

Back in robert's rebellion, there were at least three adult male Dustins, and as far as we know only one of them died. Seems strange that the other two would vanish in such a time...

Ok say you are Bob Dustin returned from war. Barbie sits your seat and controls all the troops and is backed by her own family. About all you can do is cry to Lord Stark or hire the golden company.

That does make sense. I guess I've played too much Crusader Kings 2 so I'm wrongly using the succession laws of that game in the ASOIAF universe :P.

Just mentioning this again. The difference with CK2 is it uses strict "succession" laws. This deals more with titles and rulers. But there is only One King in Westeros. The GoT universe seems to use inheritance rather than succession, its more about real estate than titles and crowns. Under a succession structure someone could be Duke of Winterfell which would be a title but not holdthe actual castle. Where as in Westeros, who ever holds the castle is Lord of Winterfell.

And that's another point, people are refered to as Lord OF XXX not Lord XXX. Its just that so many of the castles bear family names so the Lord of Hornwood was Lord Hornwood.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that legally Barbie likely had the best legal as a widow of inheriting all the property. That's why she never remarried because it would then go to herhusband. No one is going to go dig up some 4th cousin removed Dustin if there is no immediate family. But if we were dealing with King of the Iron Islands they would likely be sticklers for bloodlines rather than simple inheritance.

We see something similar in Darry with several factions trying to acquire the Darry lands thru marriage.

And that's another point, people are refered to as Lord OF XXX not Lord XXX. Its just that so many of the castles bear family names so the Lord of Hornwood was Lord Hornwood.

The formal style seems to be "Halys of the House Hornwood, Lord of Hornwood" (c.f. the wording in Ned's sentencing, "Eddard of the House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North"). Also notice that the title name is almost always the name of the seat. But casually, people seem to refer to the house names a lot more than to the titles. Nobody ever calls Ned "Winterfell" or "of Winterfell", and I think Roose is called "Dreadfort" only once, but people call then "Stark" and "Bolton" all the time. So all of this is very different from, say, England, where, say, Thomas Howard was generally referred to as "Surrey" when younger and "Norfolk" when older, not Thomas or Howard or Arundel, and the same is true for Edward Fitzalan-Howard 500 years later.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that legally Barbie likely had the best legal as a widow of inheriting all the property. That's why she never remarried because it would then go to herhusband. No one is going to go dig up some 4th cousin removed Dustin if there is no immediate family. But if we were dealing with King of the Iron Islands they would likely be sticklers for bloodlines rather than simple inheritance.

We see something similar in Darry with several factions trying to acquire the Darry lands thru marriage.

One thing that I think is pretty clear is that as soon as things get the slightest bit complicated, it's up to the liege to judge. Besides the whole scene with Bran and his advisors discussing Hornwood, there are plenty of other examples. For example, in The Rogue Prince, when Rhea Royce died, her nephew claimed Runestone, then her husband Daemon showed up to claim it, so it went to the Eyrie to decide--and the decision was apparently based not on detailed examination of laws or precedents, but on personal dislike for Daemon and wanting him out of the Vale. Just as Bran was advised based on who would make a good Lord of Hornwood, bring stability, and be acceptable to all, rather than based on a detailed examination of laws or precedents.

Archived