Could there be a way for GRRM to make you root for the Others to win?

James Steller

LOL, I love how people are saying the bad guys are humans because of their corrupt society and ways, but the guys who enslave thousands of the dead and who butcher people for the sake of butchering them (nights watch, fist of first men) are the good guys.

First I can't see the problem letting the deads fight for you instead of your livings and second we do not know if they kill people with out any reasons. You are full with prejudices, no wonder you don't like the others.

First I can't see the problem letting the deads fight for you instead of your livings and second we do not know if they kill people with out any reasons. You are full with prejudices, no wonder you don't like the others.

Definition of prejudice - perceived opinion that's not based on reason or actual experience.
Try again, because the reasoning we've seen for the others doing what they're doing is for slaughter. It's what we've been told (old nan, who according to GRRM is reliable on her accounts) and its what we've seen.
Your the one forming an opinion without any reasoning or any actual past recollection from the books.
And seriously? You can't see any reason wrong with enslaving the dead to kill and do things at their wish even if that's not what the dead person wanted? Uh, okay

Definition of prejudice - perceived opinion that's not based on reason or actual experience.
Try again, because the reasoning we've seen for the others doing what they're doing is for slaughter. It's what we've been told (old nan, who according to GRRM is reliable on her accounts) and its what we've seen.
Your the one forming an opinion without any dead reasoning or any actual past recollection from the books.
And seriously? You can't see any reason wrong with enslaving the dead to kill and do things at their wish even if that's not what the dead person wanted? Uh, okay

The Dothraki are murderous, genociding rapists. Yet one of the main characters is one of them, and she wants to do the same to Westeros, and we know she will.

There can be no forgiveness for that.

"The show-makers would do well to reflect on that. Good men and true will fight for David, wrongly believing him the true writer. An Unsullied might even say the same of D.B. But these two who flocked to Emilia Clarke's banners knew her for a usurper. They turned their backs on their rightful king for no better reason than dreams of money and hot babes on the Iron Throne, and we have marked them for what they are. Pardoned them, yes. Forgiven. But not forgotten."

The Dothraki are murderous, genociding rapists. Yet one of the main characters is one of them, and she wants to do the same to Westeros, and we know she will.

:rolleyes: posts on this level of nonsense don't deserve any response. Want an argument about dany, go do it on a thread about her. Don't derail one topic with trolling.

Your the one forming an opinion without any dead rasoning or any actual past recollection from the books.

Ok, if you want to  judge the Others by the fables of old nan, you are welcome to do so.

I'm trying to say that we never saw the things of their point of view. We do not know why they came back after 8000 years. Maybe the humans (Nights Watch, wildlings) pissed them of. Maybe not. We have to less informations to say that the Others are evil. If you call that prejudice, fine.

:rolleyes: posts on this level of nonsense don't deserve any response. Want an argument about dany, go do it on a thread about her. Don't derail one topic with trolling.

I don't care about Dany, Jon, Tyrion or any other. Again, I am team Other. The truth is still truth, neverthless. I don't troll.

I don't care about Dany, Jon, Tyrion or any other. Again, I am team Other. The truth is still truth, neverthless. I don't troll.

Maybe you don't, but that post was a troll post.

Ok, if you want to  judge the Others by the fables of old nan, you are welcome to do so.

I'm trying to say that we never saw the things of their point of view. We do not know why they came back after 8000 years. Maybe the humans (Nights Watch, wildlings) pissed them of. Maybe not. We have to less informations to say that the Others are evil. If you call that prejudice, fine.

I call this idea you have of others being "good" bad. Maybe they are, but so far we haven't been told or lead to this conclusion, in fact the opposite. And yes I will take into account old nan's version.

Maybe you don't, but that post was a troll post.I call this idea you have of others being "good" bad. Maybe they are, but so far we haven't been told or lead to this conclusion, in fact the opposite. And yes I will take into account old nan's version.

I used of an analogy. Was it any other character and you would barely notice my post. People around these forums could be less devoted to their factionalism.

I used of an analogy. Was it any other character and you would barely notice my post. People around these forums could be less devoted to their factionalism.

Your post had nothing to do with the others or this topic, or really my post. If you stopped at the dothraki bit fine I could have let it go, the dany bit had no insight to offer and was only there to piss of dany fans, which I obviously am.
But I'm a little bit tired of this "conversation"

a·nal·o·gy
əˈnaləjē/
noun

a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

How in the hell is the above an analogy? What two things are you comparing? 'Dany is as bloodthirsty as her husband and his band of Dothraki savages' is a valid analogy, albeit a really bad one. 'Dany is a Dothraki and is, therefore, bloodthirsty' is a description. There's a difference.

Incidentally, I would root for the Others if one of them started wearing sunglasses, Jellies and a Pendleton jacket and started referring to himself as "The Other Dude." Or, y'know, "Other Duder", "His Other Dudeness"...

The problem I have with this ending is that it appears that Long Night 1.0 ended this way -- so ending Long Night 2.0 the same way is just going back to status quo ante and hoping it works this time. For me, that would be a lame ending. But of course, this is GRRM's story and he might find that to be a satisfying ending and might be going that way. It certainly would be consistent with the "there ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys -- there's only you and me and we just disagree" approach that GRRM seems to like.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't find that satisfying. Well, if it were written badly or didn't follow organically from the story, obviously, but I don't think either of those is a likely danger with GRRM.

Also, remember that we're talking about a "temporary" solution that lasted 8000 years. How many things in human history have lasted that long? Normally, either averting a disastrous war, or winning dramatically, gives you a couple generations of peace and prosperity; the First Men got 100x that. I'd call that a huge success. And so would probably everyone in the history of Westeros, except the one generation (out of hundreds) unlucky enough to live in interesting times.

Archived