Could there be a way for GRRM to make you root for the Others to win?

James Steller

Would a negotiated settlement and an uneasy but maintainable peace count as "winning"?

If so, I could see GRRM making that work.

After all, the Mongolians didn't successfully slaughter everyone in South Park, but when Randy Marsh agreed that the Mongolians were right, everyone won, including the Mongolians. (Well, except Mr. Kim. And the Ghost of Human Kindness, but he deserved it.)

Would a negotiated settlement and an uneasy but maintainable peace count as "winning"?

If so, I could see GRRM making that work.

After all, the Mongolians didn't successfully slaughter everyone in South Park, but when Randy Marsh agreed that the Mongolians were right, everyone won, including the Mongolians. (Well, except Mr. Kim. And the Ghost of Human Kindness, but he deserved it.)

Oh god, please not a Matrix ending.

With Jon "dead" and Dany the "Hero" I'm already rooting for the Others. Now if Dany is killed or people turn against her because they finally see the light and view her as evil as I do then I may shift my opinion but as it stands a Westeros ruled by Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragunz, Queen of Mary Sues, wielder of impenetrable plot armor is a Westeros unfit to survive long night.

Yes. I am actually hoping Jon and the Starks ally with the Others. 

Oh god, please not a Matrix ending.

The Matrix ended with the power of love turning Neo into the messiah so he could kill Smith in the matrix, destroy the sentinels in the real world, and then jack back in to tell the machines the terms of the peace whether they like it or not and then fly off like Superman.

Did Matrix 3 have a "the Mongolians were right" ending? I honestly don't remember. But if whatever happened in that movie is what you're worried about, I'm pretty sure GRRM could do a better version of it than the Wachowskis. (Even they realize that was their worst script ever; quoting Lana, "We went in not knowing how to pull off the ending, and we obviously never figured it out".)

If their victory was somehow shown to be necessary for the greater good in the longer run. 

For example, we know that Valyria never took over Westeros, even though it would clearly have been ridiculously easy for it to do it. Perhaps this was due to some sort of magical "balance" that must be maintained. The dragons and the Others are the representations of the elemental forces of Ice and Fire. Perhaps the balance of the world requires these forces to remain in balance on their respective continents. 

Perhaps the Targaryen intervention in Westeros jump-started a centuries long (magical) process that will ultimately lead to total annihilation of everyone unless the Others manage to restore the balance by cleansing the influences of fire magic from Westeros completely. Perhaps they could do this over the course of a generation and then return to their lands of always winter and leave Westeros pristine and the balance restored again.

Some sort of backstory like that may work in this direction.

The Matrix ended with the power of love turning Neo into the messiah so he could kill Smith in the matrix, destroy the sentinels in the real world, and then jack back in to tell the machines the terms of the peace whether they like it or not and then fly off like Superman.

Did Matrix 3 have a "the Mongolians were right" ending? I honestly don't remember. But if whatever happened in that movie is what you're worried about, I'm pretty sure GRRM could do a better version of it than the Wachowskis. (Even they realize that was their worst script ever; quoting Lana, "We went in not knowing how to pull off the ending, and we obviously never figured it out".)

I was referring to " a negotiated settlement and an uneasy but maintainable peace" as in the humans never win but somehow convince the Other to let them survive.

I was referring to " a negotiated settlement and an uneasy but maintainable peace" as in the humans never win but somehow convince the Other to let them survive.

The problem I have with this ending is that it appears that Long Night 1.0 ended this way -- so ending Long Night 2.0 the same way is just going back to status quo ante and hoping it works this time. For me, that would be a lame ending. But of course, this is GRRM's story and he might find that to be a satisfying ending and might be going that way. It certainly would be consistent with the "there ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys -- there's only you and me and we just disagree" approach that GRRM seems to like.

But ever there, it is not a matter of "rooting" for the Others -- it is just matter of not destroying the Others.

The problem I have with this ending is that it appears that Long Night 1.0 ended this way -- so ending Long Night 2.0 the same way is just going back to status quo ante and hoping it works this time. For me, that would be a lame ending. But of course, this is GRRM's story and he might find that to be a satisfying ending and might be going that way. It certainly would be consistent with the "there ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys -- there's only you and me and we just disagree" approach that GRRM seems to like.

But ever there, it is not a matter of "rooting" for the Others -- it is just matter of not destroying the Others.

It could be the bitter-sweetness about it?

I personally see the others as fictional approach to a historical and contemporary problem, in which  contemporaries often create embellished stories about "the Other" (interestingly, the term Other has been used by historians such as Said in describing colonial and native interactions) turning them into monsters or beastly creations. You can look to travel accounts of just about any century pre-20th for that. Since modern tech allows for more travel, the news acts as the primary agent for this (i.e. depiction of Muslims and other groups). Since Martin loves history, I can see him weaving this little problem into his narrative.

Mind you, I am not saying ending with LN 2.0 is something I want. I also don't want another ending either that seems to have gathered some steam by one group of people. But as you say it is his story, and he can do as he wishes. 

Unless it turns out that the Others' motivation is something besides killing literally every living thing on GRRth, and that new motivation is something really amazing like curing cancer or bringing about love and peace for all mankind, there's nothing that would make me support them. The only people who root for the Others are A. the ones that have seen their favorite characters die and having stopped giving a **** and B. creepy, sick freaks that think humanity is somehow too "irredeemable" to survive by their insane, selfish, petty logic. The former is the result of heartbreak, the latter insanity or ego or both.

Yeah, let D&D finish the books because on the show I am rooting for the WW's to destroy the fanfic they have created.

Hear hear, friend. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to resume praying for the souls of D and D so they might find forgiveness for their butchery of Stannis.

LOL, I love how people are saying the bad guys are humans because of their corrupt society and ways, but the guys who enslave thousands of the dead and who butcher people for the sake of butchering them (nights watch, fist of first men) are the good guys.

Wait till it is revealed that they are really stark ancestors coming to fight against evil Dany.

Archived