Stannis doesn't 'desire' to be the king?

Diregon

He doesn't lust for anything other than the responsibility of tidying the realm and considering the state of Westeros, you can hardly blame him. He's not interested in sycophants, wealth or glory. It really is his duty to take the throne or die trying. Clean, clear and uncomplicated by ambition.

"Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them cold clear water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes."

It's sort of the tragedy to his character in both the book and on here. Nobody believes that his intentions are pure. Mind you, that's the price you pay when you use magic and sentence people to burn. 

See Stannis as he see's himself; the rightful King, mocked and passed over.
See Stannis as others do; miserable, bereft of charm and too cold to ever warm himself to an entire continent.
See Stannis as Cressen does; misguided and isolated without a friend.

There's a lot of valid viewpoints but I've never seen him as someone lusting for power or wealth. He has the same determination as Viscerys only with greater restraint. 

He doesn't lust for anything other than the responsibility of tidying the realm and considering the state of Westeros, you can hardly blame him. He's not interested in sycophants, wealth or glory. It really is his duty to take the throne or die trying. Clean, clear and uncomplicated by ambition.

It's sort of the tragedy to his character in both the book and on here. Nobody believes that his intentions are pure. Mind you, that's the price you pay when you use magic and sentence people to burn. 

See Stannis as he see's himself; the rightful King, mocked and passed over.
See Stannis as others do; miserable, bereft of charm and too cold to ever warm himself to an entire continent.
See Stannis as Cressen does; misguided and isolated without a friend.

There's a lot of valid viewpoints but I've never seen him as someone lusting for power or wealth. He has the same determination as Viscerys only with greater restraint. 

I see Stannis, the power hungry man who is willing to do anything to get the throne including abandoning Robert and murdering Renly. 

Here are some Stannis quotes, where he tells us that he does not desire the throne.
"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?"
"I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice."
"I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. ... We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must ... we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty."
"I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head, but so long as I am the king, I have a duty "
I think I spot a recurring theme ...

Yes he goes on about his duty but when his duty was to inform Robert of the incest he neglected it. If he can ignore his duty once then why can't he ignore it again and let Renly take the crown? Because it isn't about duty, it's about ego and power just like almost every other Lord in Westeros.

I see Stannis, the power hungry man who is willing to anyone to get the throne including abandoning Robert and murdering Renly. 

Yeah how dare he "murder" his brother who rebelled against him and threatened to kill him so that he could steal the throne. But but but Renly was really pretty so I guess he really deserved all that and his brother deserved to die for going "ummm what?"

P.s. in your mind is Renly not power hungry?

Yeah how dare he "murder" his brother who rebelled against him and threatened to kill him so that he could steal the throne. But but but Renly was really pretty so I guess he really deserved all that and his brother deserved to die for going "ummm what?"

1.Stannis threatend to kill Renly first.

Stannis's threat:

Stannis pointed his shining sword at his brother. "I am not without mercy," thundered he who was notoriously without mercy. "Nor do I wish to sully Lightbringer with a brother's blood. For the sake of the mother who bore us both, I will give you this night to rethink your folly, Renly. Strike your banners and come to me before dawn, and I will grant you Storm's End and your old seat on the council and even name you my heir until a son is born to me. Otherwise, I shall destroy you."

And a few senteces later, Renly threat:

"I hope your new god's a merciful one, brother."

2.Renly rebbeled against Joff not Stannis.

3.Renly was stealing the throne from Joff not Stannis.

4.Renly was more than pretty, he was shrewd and charismatic.

P.s. in your mind is Renly not power hungry?

Renly was usurping Joffrey, the rightful king, not Stannis. Did Renly attack Dragonstone? Renly does want power as do most Westerosi lords, Stannis included. 

So many semantics to disparrage one character... have fun with that.

In Renly's mind he did think stannis would be on his side he had no clue of the twincest and was rebelling for self preservation hoping Stannis would realise they killed Robert and would be coming for them so stannis did attack renly first.

And most of all is okay with burning/killing innocent people even the son of his late brother. How can you call it anything but power hungry. 

He isn't okay with burning innocents the only innocent person he considered burning was Edric and he did not want to threatening mel if she was lying that shed die by inches. If he was okay with burning innocents Edric, Lord sunglass and sons would've burned without any hesitation.

And most of all is okay with burning/killing innocent people even the son of his late brother. How can you call it anything but power hungry. 

Probably because I have this special little thing called context! The context being that a magical sorceress claiming to serve the real god showed him miracles three times. Yes, seeing the future is a miracle. And when that sorceress then says to save the whole world, you must sacrifice one boy.

If you want to tell me that you wouldn't think about it, even when the boy will die a horrible icy death anyway, then you are free to do so, because lying to the internet is not a hard thing to do.

Renly was usurping Joffrey, the rightful king, not Stannis. Did Renly attack Dragonstone? Renly does want power as do most Westerosi lords, Stannis included. 

He was ursurping Stannis too.

1.Stannis threatend to kill Renly first.

Stannis's threat:

Stannis pointed his shining sword at his brother. "I am not without mercy," thundered he who was notoriously without mercy. "Nor do I wish to sully Lightbringer with a brother's blood. For the sake of the mother who bore us both, I will give you this night to rethink your folly, Renly. Strike your banners and come to me before dawn, and I will grant you Storm's End and your old seat on the council and even name you my heir until a son is born to me. Otherwise, I shall destroy you."

And a few senteces later, Renly threat:

"I hope your new god's a merciful one, brother."

2.Renly rebbeled against Joff not Stannis.

3.Renly was stealing the throne from Joff not Stannis.

4.Renly was more than pretty, he was shrewd and charismatic.

Renly rebelled against Stannis too.

Renly was stealing the throne from Stannis too.

In Renly's mind he did think stannis would be on his side he had no clue of the twincest and was rebelling for self preservation hoping Stannis would realise they killed Robert and would be coming for them so stannis did attack renly first.

Except that when Stannis told Renly no battles had been fought, no one had died, and Renly should've immediately bowed to his brother. Renly knew from the beginning that he would have to kill stannis, he knew what type of person he was, and that stannis would feel that if the Lannisters were displaced he would be the next claimant as Roberts heir. The cause of Stannis going to storms end was because Renly declared himself king and took all of the storm lords armies to make himself king, he never even asked for the help of stannis. So you can't really take the effect and make it the cause.

He isn't okay with burning innocents the only innocent person he considered burning was Edric and he did not want to threatening mel if she was lying that shed die by inches. If he was okay with burning innocents Edric, Lord sunglass and sons would've burned without any hesitation.

Did a background check and it turns out that Stannis actually didn't burn infidels in the books. My bad.

Except that when Stannis told Renly no battles had been fought, no one had died, and Renly should've immediately bowed to his brother. Renly knew from the beginning that he would have to kill stannis, he knew what type of person he was, and that stannis would feel that if the Lannisters were displaced he would be the next claimant as Roberts heir. The cause of Stannis going to storms end was because Renly declared himself king and took all of the storm lords armies to make himself king, he never even asked for the help of stannis. So you can't really take the effect and make it the cause.

He never asked for stannis' help because his crown himself plan was hastily made after Robert and ned were killed by lannisters and again I could be wrong but I'm sure renly says to cat he expects his support he might be deluded about that but he thought stannis would help and it isn't too far out i know stannis loves the law but he turned on the Targs for Robert why not the lannisters.

So, Stannis chooses to sever all communication, maintain complete silence, yet it's somehow other people's fault for not consulting with him? Sadly, I'm not even surprised.

So, Stannis chooses to sever all communication, maintain complete silence, yet it's somehow other people's fault for not consulting with him? Sadly, I'm not even surprised.

If youre trying to get your older brothers support in bypassing him to get to the throne, then yeah you should probably send him a raven or two.

But I'm not surprised youd expect to be surprised by that. It is basic logic after all

Archived