Stannis doesn't 'desire' to be the king?

Diregon

So if any high lord sent a message to KL you think Pycelle would deliver the scroll with a broken seal?

He could have sent a messenger in person, he could have sent a raven to Storms End, Winterfell or to everyone in Westeros. There is a whole host of options to let his brother and the realm know, he instead chose to do nothing.

Stannis did not flee Kings Landing after Jon had died, he hung around and only left after Robert had gone to make Ned his Hand.

Stannis did not flee Kings Landing after Jon had died, he hung around and only left after Robert had gone to make Ned his Hand.

With the Lannisters mind you.

He could have sent a messenger in person, he could have sent a raven to Storms End, Winterfell or to everyone in Westeros. There is a whole host of options to let his brother and the realm know, he instead chose to do nothing.

Stannis wasn't an idiot, he knew that a lot of people would most likely disregard his message as an attempt to usurp the throne and turn him into a laughing stock.

Stannis wasn't an idiot, he knew that a lot of people would most likely disregard his message as an attempt to usurp the throne and turn him into a laughing stock.

So is that why he does directly after Robert dies?

If he was warning a still living Robert no one would think such a thing as Robert is still young and virile enough to marry and father more children (should he believe the evidence that Stannis has).

Waiting till after Robert is dead to announce the 'truth' makes him look like a man trying to usurp his nephews crown.

If he was warning a still living Robert no one would think such a thing as Robert is still young and virile enough to marry and father more children (should he believe the evidence that Stannis has).

Waiting till after Robert is dead to announce the 'truth' makes him look like a man trying to usurp his nephews crown.

Because Robert would have ignored him, as Stannis assumed.  He tried to third-party through Jon Arryn, and the Lannisters caught on and killed him.  If Stannis told Robert, he would most likely be dead too.

Because Robert would have ignored him, as Stannis assumed.  He tried to third-party through Jon Arryn, and the Lannisters caught on and killed him.  If Stannis told Robert, he would most likely be dead too.

So I guess the evidence is not that strong then.  For all Stannis knows Joffrey, Tommen and Mycrella may be legitimate.

At least Renly has the balls to own up to what he is doing, Stannis is prepared to believe anything, happily believing that the Lannisters killed the elderly Jon Arryn.

For a long time the king did not speak. Then, very softly, he said, "I dream of it sometimes. Of Renly's dying. A green tent, candles, a woman screaming. And blood." Stannis looked down at his hands. "I was still abed when he died. Your Devan will tell you. He tried to wake me. Dawn was nigh and my lords were waiting, fretting. I should have been ahorse, armored. I knew Renly would attack at break of day. Devan says I thrashed and cried out, but what does it matter? It was a dream. I was in my tent when Renly died, and when I woke my hands were clean." Davos, ACoK.

Kind of reminds of Tywin's claim of being blameless in Aegon & Rhaenys' deaths, and the RW.

But not in you, Father. There is no blood in Tywin Lannister Stannis Baratheon.

You mean like Renly did?

Stannis left the city long before it was known that there was any threat to Robert.  

Renly on the other hand abandoned his king and brother Stannis.  And he abandoned Ned Stark.  Renly's support could have been the difference in the whole thing.  He could easily have told Ned to sit on the truth for a while so he could get the backing of House Tyrell, and maneuver Stannis into naming him heir anyway, so Margaery would still be a queen.  Renly was really short-sighted.

Renly was the brother who abandoned Robert? He was the brother that was with him on his deathbed and only left after Robert was clearly dead and Ned declined his offer to take control of the regency.

Lord Sunglass

Lord Sunglass was a traitor. Seeing how others kill their traitors when Stannis sent him to the cells was him being kind.

If he didnt want to be king why pursue it?

The law and duty.

Stannis burned his gods

His house his rule. 

he forced his bannermen to change religion 

Never happened. Stannis' army is a multireligion army. 

imprisons the lords who tells him they dont like it 

Never happened.

dont want to support him any more. 

That is treason.

He still burnt the gods, to a religious person this is a big offense especially considering that medieval society was much more religious than now. 

Utter  :bs:  It was his house and he could do whatever he wanted. 

He also stripped his bannermen of their right to worship their gods. 

Never happened.

His brother offered him peace, Stannis was the one wanting to fight. If he didnt want the crown why fight his own brother?

His brother was a traitor. By the law an older brother comes before a younger.

I was just stating that I agreed with you, in my own circuitous way. Sorry that I was being a bit flowery about it - I get carried away when I'm in Stannis-defense mode.

Also, it occurs to me now, after reading some other comments and looking more closely at your name, that despite me calling you "man," you might be, in fact, a woman. If that's the case, I apologize. 

For calling you a man, I mean, not for you being a woman. 

That's not something that warrants an apology, is what I meant to say.

I'll be quiet now.

Lol there is no need for an apology. I just asked you because I thought you were disagreeing and I have seen that you agreed.

Also yes I am a woman but "man" doesn't matter.

Lord Sunglass was a traitor. Seeing how others kill their traitors when Stannis sent him to the cells was him being kind.

The law and duty.

His house his rule. 
Never happened. Stannis' army is a multireligion army. 
Never happened.
That is treason.

Utter  :bs:  It was his house and he could do whatever he wanted. 
Never happened.

His brother was a traitor. By the law an older brother comes before a younger.

Read my posts again. I admitted that Sunglass was a traitor. And, yes he forbid his bannermen to worship the seven openly and said that they had to claim to follow the lord of light.

Please answer to why he thaught about Burning Edric if he didnt want the crown?

Does Stannis want to be King? Absolutely yes. I can imagine Stannis grinding his teeth through Robert's reign and thinking how much better a job he could have done with the power. He does have a sense of entitlement which is why he wanted to be Hand when Jon died. Perhaps he felt he could do more being Hand of the King than otherwise.

Is that the reason he's spent 4 books chasing after the Iron Throne? I don't think so. I think he quite genuinely feels compelled by his sense of duty and law. Put it this way, had Stannis been the younger brother and discovered the incest, he wouldn't have declared himself King even if he wanted to be the King. That's not a slight on Renly before anyone jumps on me but just how I see things.

So, I'd say it's a combination of both desire and duty.

So I guess the evidence is not that strong then.  For all Stannis knows Joffrey, Tommen and Mycrella may be legitimate.

At least Renly has the balls to own up to what he is doing, Stannis is prepared to believe anything, happily believing that the Lannisters killed the elderly Jon Arryn.

Obviously the evidence is not strong which is why they were trying to trying to get more evidence (the book for instance) before they took it to Robert. The fact that even Jon Arryn was not comfortable taking the suspicion to Robert justifies Stannis' assumption that Robert might not be willing to reason.

Stannis' belief that the Lannisters killed Jon Arryn was perfectly reasonable given the circumstances.

Read my posts again. I admitted that Sunglass was a traitor. And, yes he forbid his bannermen to worship the seven openly and said that they had to claim to follow the lord of light.

He didn't forbid his bannermen from worshiping the 7.

I do think he wants the throne as well but he was being told he was destined to save the world and needed to be king to do so and burning Edric would give him dragons by a woman who can see the future survive poison and give birth to deadly shadows.

And, yes he forbid his bannermen to worship the seven openly and said that they had to claim to follow the lord of light.

Never happened. But I may be wrong. Please give me the quote about that.

You do remember that Stannis was the only King who cared about what would happen right?

The way I see it, Stannis saying he doesnt want the throne and that it's just his duty is similar to Cersei saying "I'm doing it for my children"; Dany's "for my people" or Jon's "it's for the greater good". A way for the character to justify their own actions, not to others but to themselves.

Stannis is a very complex character and imo, saying he truly doesnt want the throne is ignoring that complexity.

But this is coming from  someone who isnt particularly a Stan stan so I might have got it wrong.   :dunno:

Where Stannis is at now more then half his army do not believe in R'hllor. At the start he just asked them to not interfere with red god worships and to not in public say they dont believe in R'hllor, or to take down signs of their other idols etc

Justin Massey for example doesnt really believe in R'hllor at all, and he is one of the closest people to Stannis

I was referring to wawey sauces statement.

But after a quick search I found atleast two quotes which indicates thats the case.

"The inn was crowded,and you are not Salladhor Saan, he reminded himself. Be carefull how you answer."
This quote states that Davos was afraid of telling wich god/gods he served.

"God, old man, thaught Davos. You forget, we have only one now, Melisandres lord of light."
This quote clearly states that Stannis has made his followers change gods.

"I could have died" is no reason to not do your duty, which resulted in your King and brother getting killed.

He's acting entirely out of self-interest, not out of any shred of duty, or decency.

Archived