Acrophobia 18 1/2 - Ravens from Mom, Round 6 Voting

Fragile Bird

ROUND 2 Submissions

We know this didn't happen, but just imagine Samwell Tarly, after yet another miserable night at The Wall, not long after he'd arrived, being told there's a raven from his mom. What words would she have sent to her son, words that were likely sent without the knowledge of her husband? Encouraging words? Words of farewell, since she thinks she'll never see him again? An apology?

Melessa Florent to Samwell Tarly:

1.    Great heroes have amazing resilience, wisdom, stoicism, direction.
2.    Growing homesick? Home always (really!) welcome, Sam darling.
3.    Gods! Have heard awful rumours. What’s “Slayer’s dragonglass”?
4.    Good hearted, helpful, altruistic.
       Remain wise, Samwell, dearest.
5.    Gallant heart hidden and Randyll will someday discover.
6.    Gourmet hamper, ham, ale, received? Wear sweaters, darling.
7.    Gentle heart - home awaits. Raven's wings speak danger.
8.    Gods! How have a real wildling son? Deranged?
9.    Get hard! Hardness allows resilience within, slaying disappointment.
10.  Good heart, how's appetite?
       Really woebegone.
       Sending doughnuts!
11.  Greetings! Horrid husband's a real wanker. Soon dead.

Please vote for your top 4 entries by Friday, July 31, 10:00 pm EST

Good luck, everyone!

ROUND 3

Here we go into the unknown once again. What in God's name, in gods' names, in the name R'Hllor, would Melisandre's mother say to her in a raven message, at any point in time. After burning the seven, after sending out shadowbabies, after leechings, after hustling her boss, after her powers have grown...

From Mel's mom to Mel.

Your acronym is SOMEW ONLCM

Your deadline is Friday, July 31, 10:00 pm EST.

ps:  not to worry, I'll go shorter for the next round. :)

I really was expecting entries from you all! :(

Maybe this round... I was quiet busy lately and when I posted my vote for the first round, it was the first time since days that I visited the forum at all. I tried to make an entry for Melessa to Sam afterwards, but all I came up with was "Sammy dearest" for the last to letters...

Goodness, FB, that's awful!  Sounds like someone is either abusing the system or just not thinking.  I hope you can get out of the program quickly.

This round, I found myself having to get tough.  All of the entries were good, so I had to resort to using absolutely no ruth in making my choices.

1. 6.  Gourmet hamper, ham, ale, received? Wear sweaters, darling.  That sounds so much like a mom!

2. 4.  Good hearted, helpful, altruistic.

Remain wise, Samwell, dearest.  Aw!  That's like saying "Don't ever change. I love you just as you are."

3. 2.  Growing homesick? Home always (really!) welcome, Sam darling.  I was torn on this one. Would she remind him of the homesickness like that?  But the message that he is always (really!) welcome at home won out.

4.  5. Gallant heart hidden and Randyll will someday discover.  Almost teared up at this one. His mom believes in him, and is sure one day his dad will see and appreciate his worth.

Honorable mentions:

HM1: 3. Gods! Have heard awful rumours. What’s “Slayer’s dragonglass”?  I so love this, but I went with the parameters of the message being sent shortly after he got to the Wall, so the incident with Puddles had yet to occur.

HM2: 11. Greetings! Horrid husband's a real wanker. Soon dead.  Cracked me up!  No way a woman with Sam's heart would send that (and I assume he got that sweetness and meekness from his mother), but it's awesome.

Our new game is off to a good start for Stonehearted Snake, who takes the lead with the most points but shares the first place points with rocksniffer, who is breathing down his neck in 2nd place. 

Ha, I would take the lead in the edition that doesn't really count! ;) btw - I'm a she :)

Wow, this was definitely one of the most difficult rounds to select from - really excellent entries by everyone!

First: 5. Gallant heart hidden and Randyll will someday discover.

Second: 3. Gods! Have heard awful rumours. Whats Slayers dragonglass?

Third:6. Gourmet hamper, ham, ale, received? Wear sweaters, darling.

Fourth: 10. Good heart, how's appetite?
Really woebegone.
Sending doughnuts!

First                6.   Gourmet hamper, ham, ale, received? Wear sweaters, darling

Second        10.  Good heart, how's appetite?

Really woebegone.

Sending doughnuts!

Third               5.  Gallant heart hidden and Randyll will someday discover.

Fourth            4.   Good hearted, helpful, altruistic.

Remain wise, Samwell, dearest.

7 entries made it into the top 4. Getting rid of those 3 entries was hard.

1. 6. Gourmet hamper, ham, ale, received? Wear sweaters, darling.

In a field of strong entries this is the standout. It captures Melessa's voice, it shows her enabling his weight problem, it shows that she loves and cares for him, and it sounds like a mom. If you would, Bird, change my entry to this, thanks.

2. 5. Gallant heart hidden and Randyll will someday discover.

As a fat, bookish guy myself, I totally get the way Sam feels. I have never felt masculine enough to be "one of the guys". I understand the desire to be recognized for my accomplishments outside the macho male mainstream. It's not a daddy issue thing, my dad is great (while being a manly man.)

God! 45 fucking years old and high school still makes me feel awful.

So at $250 dollars an hour that adds op to $1,500. I'll pay the receptionist on my way out. I think I'll need two sessions next week.

3. 3. Gods! Have heard awful rumours. What’s “Slayer’s dragonglass”?

If she only knew.

For my last one I struggled between 7 and 10. I tried to find a good pet name for Sam (and came up with nothing,) but 7's Gentle heart is better than 10's Good heart. However I like the message of 10 better. And the point goes to...

4. 10.  Good heart, how's appetite?
       Really woebegone.
       Sending doughnuts!

6.     Listen numbnuts, unjust nobles get ousted!!!  Howlin' Howland  [1st - StSn], [2nd - DG, SNA], [3rd,4th - rocks, yomi, lil'gh, Woofless, Julia H]

9.     Listen numbnuts! Unbelievably naive.. gaining opponents.  lil' ghost  [1st - HH], [3rd,4th - Woofless, rocks]

Seems like great minds thinking alike Howlin' Howland ;)

Archived