Speculation: Arya takes the face of...

Hippocras

Jayne Poole, definitly. She must resolve her from torment and give her a gift. And would be quite simbolic if she takes face of the person whos role is to be Arya. Arya kills Bastard. Than what? Goes to KL to rescue Sansa from Cercei's recapture seems possible.

imho, that would be terrible. I see Jeyne killing herself (sadly), but to say that because she is a survivor of the abuse and lost a nose she is forever in torment and should be put down, as if she is dying from a lethal wound - that's just wrong and sends a messed-up message. And I don't think that Martin would do it - generally he treats abuse victims (Tyrion, Sansa, even Penny for secondary characters) with respect. Lady Stoneheart is a much better candidate for the gift.

It would be quite satisfying for her to take fake Arya's identity (assuming it's 'available') and use it to bring down the Boltons.  Even more if she does something like warging Ramsay's dogs and turning them on him, revealing herself at the last moment. 

At the moment though she has nothing against Ramsay or even Roose as far as I know - maybe she will encounter Theon (I can't remember if he knows about Roose's role in the Red Wedding) or pick up enough about Ramsay from having Jeyne's face. 

.My top guess at the moment is that she will take the face of Elia Sand. She could play that role easily, and doing this would give her access to fAegon, who might be the actual target. There are several characters who might be tempted to hire the FM to get rid of fAegon, or who might simply want someone planted there to know what fAegon is up to. This option makes less sense though if Arya is no longer with the FM but is acting for herself. It is hard to imaging why Arya would choose to murder a girl who she would probably genuinely like in order to get close to someone who she has no clear motive at the moment to be close to.

Interesting. I was reading Arianne I sample chapter and there are a lot of common features between Elia and Arya, like both are compared to stable-boys, good riders, called unladylike, etc. Arya is my favorite character, but I did not like Elia at all. Probably because I read Arianne II summary before reading Arianne I, and the impression I got was that of a budding Gatehouse Ami. Or probably because Arianne was pissed off by Elia. (Not that I like Arianne much either - she is just an ethical version of Cersei). Sounds cruel, but I like the idea that she gets offed by FM. But as others  pointed out, it is also possible that Arya will take Jeyne's face. She can take Jeyne's face and use it to kill Aegon (if Massey decides to gift Aegon with 'Arya Stark'. Varys will know she is fake, but won't care like Boltons and Lannisters did). Later, she can take her own face and come clean, as the real Arya Stark who never murdered anyone.

Penny - I don't see it. Vey few people even knows about Penny. I hope she dies soon in the battle, making Tyrion come out of his cynical shell.

Littlefinger knows Penny, but I doubt he knows her current wherabouts. But once Tyrion join forces with Barristan or Victarion, LF will come to know. But it is an awful waste of gold to use to kill  a man in the midst of battle.

Silly question: Does Arya physically have to take Jeyne's face? The reason I am asking because Jaqen changed face right in front of her with a flick of his hand so to speak.

FM can only use faces of dead people. Jaqen seems to have lot of faces in stock. Like masks. Arya need not kill Jeyne to take her face, but Jeyne needs to die. The faces that FM uses are real skins. Which is why Alchemist needed to kill Pate. Once the face is procured, Arya can put it on like a mask any time she wishes. But in the books, Arya is still not trained enough to put faces on her own.

Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

A.  Tommen is dead before Cersei dies.

B.   Can you really see Arya having the strength to strangle Cersei?

A.  Tommen would need to be dead first for Arya to assume his face.

B.  The trained assassin vs the pampered queen. Oh how could Arya ever hope to prevail. 

In the Oldtown prologue, we saw an FM plant themself at the Citadel by taking the face of Pate. Aside from raising the question of why the FM want to infiltrate the Citadel, the chapter hinted a bit at what Arya's training leads to. This makes it worth speculating whose face she might end up taking, and what end this might serve for the FM, or for herself.

My top guess at the moment is that she will take the face of Elia Sand. She could play that role easily, and doing this would give her access to fAegon, who might be the actual target. There are several characters who might be tempted to hire the FM to get rid of fAegon, or who might simply want someone planted there to know what fAegon is up to. This option makes less sense though if Arya is no longer with the FM but is acting for herself. It is hard to imaging why Arya would choose to murder a girl who she would probably genuinely like in order to get close to someone who she has no clear motive at the moment to be close to.

Another interesting possibility is Penny. This of course makes the most sense if LF hires the FM to get rid of Tyrion. He has been trying and failing to have Tyrion murdered for the entire series, and it matters even more now that he wants Sansa liberated from her marriage. Penny has access to Tyrion. However Arya could conceivably want access to Tyrion for her own reasons, and not necessarily to murder him.

Finally, she might take the face of Jeyne Poole. Maybe this is how Ramsay finally dies.

An excellent theorists by the name of Alt+Shift+X just released a brilliant theory on Arya's ending.  I suggest you look for it on Youtube.  It really is very good and the exact ending that I would want for Arya.  I just want it to happen early in The Winds of Winter before she murders any more people. 

A.  Tommen would need to be dead first for Arya to assume his face.

B.  The trained assassin vs the pampered queen. Oh how could Arya ever hope to prevail. 

Regarding Arya taking Tommen or any other male face... None of the FMs at the house or Jaqen ever wear a face of another gender, and Arya isn't ever given a male role with her face and in disguise or a different one. The reason for that would be that a different face does not make for a sex-change. Gender identity is not something FMs mess with.

Regarding Arya taking Tommen or any other male face... None of the FMs at the house or Jaqen ever wear a face of another gender, and Arya isn't ever given a male role with her face and in disguise or a different one. The reason for that would be that a different face does not make for a sex-change. Gender identity is not something FMs mess with.

Good point, but Tommen's voice has not cracked and Arya

[spoiler]

still has a boy chest in the Mercy chapter

[/spoiler]

so the differences in gender would not be that noticeable. You might be right though.

FM can only use faces of dead people. Jaqen seems to have lot of faces in stock. Like masks. Arya need not kill Jeyne to take her face, but Jeyne needs to die. The faces that FM uses are real skins. Which is why Alchemist needed to kill Pate. Once the face is procured, Arya can put it on like a mask any time she wishes. But in the books, Arya is still not trained enough to put faces on her own.

Thank you for your answer.

Tommen is the younger brother.

Tommen himself would never strangle or otherwise murder anyone. Arya taking Tommen's face could, but I doubt very much this will happen because it would basically mean Arya is the YMBQ, which is extremely unlikely.

I never said that they were connected to the FM. I said they were linked to fAegon, who you think can be her target. They were both in one of her AGoT chapters.

I do know that, but I don't understand what that would have to do with Arya taking a face. I gave Elia as an option for a face she could take if she needed to get close to fAegon. Are you proposing her target if she did this would not be Aegon but Varys or Illyrio?

I absolutely can't see Arya killing an innocent child to take their face. Assignment like that would've likely made her to abandon FM, but I don't think GRRM would ever put her in that position. Because even when she kills Dareon - for her it is something her father would do, for us,readers the author already established that he wasn't a good person. She justifies to herself that her first FM kill is a bad person. Everyone on her list for her are villains. She clearly has trouble with abandoning her identity (it seems her arc is to reclaim her indentity, not to loose it). So I don't see her taking Elia Sand's face. Or Penny's who is also innocent.
Jeyne Pool - maybe, if Jeyne kills herself and Arya finds out later.

I would tend to agree but I do not think Elia will remain all that innocent. She is up to some kind of trouble, and Arya could potentially use that.

Can you elaborate on who these people who would hire a FM to kill Aegon are?  I can't think of a single person.

There is a lot we don't know. The following suggestions depend on some "ifs", nothing concrete:

1. Doran Martell IF he knows or finds out Aegon is fake, and particularly if his heir is married to this fraud.

2. Euron IF there is no way otherwise that his Ironborn can beat him, and Aegon has gained power in places Euron wants to conquer.

3. Cersei IF Aegon is a threat to one or both of her children.

The list coukd go on. In all cases it depends on future story developments.

Archived