Favorite Book Plot

Yevah

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 8:09 PM, James Arryn said:

If I were to analyze my choices, some kind of quest...be it Arthurian, Sherlockian, or winning the prize for Scripture Knowledge* at school...probably lies at the heart of most.

*2 points for anyone who gets reference.

Tom Sawyer? 

No time for the old in out in out, I have a pizza to deliver. A twist on an old plot. 

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

Tom Sawyer? 

No time for the old in out in out, I have a pizza to deliver. A twist on an old plot. 

Are you a cyber-samurai working for the mafia?

Doesn’t Hagrid in the children’s fantasy series Harry Potter have a plot of pumpkins?

The idea of Bag End’s garden being tended by an aging Sam brings tears to my eyes.

The heads-on-sticks in The Steel Remains.

I think the second chapter in Tom Sawyer has him utterly failing in Scripture Knowledge at *Sunday school* (or a Sunday Service) after he had collected some prize through ingenious bartering coupons/tokens that were given out for memorizing bible verses (without ever having received such a token in the normal fashion). Unfortunately the parson then asks some trivial question he cannot answers leading to embarassment for all parties.

The guy who supposedly received as his only academic distinction the prize for Scripture Knowledge at his boy school was Bertie Wooster. But nobody would believe it from his actual knowledge as shown in the narrative (of course it is even more mysterious how he ever managed to get into Eton and Oxford although the books are silent whether he ever received a degree).

4 hours ago, Jo498 said:

The guy who supposedly received as his only academic distinction the prize for Scripture Knowledge at his boy school was Bertie Wooster. But nobody would believe it from his actual knowledge as shown in the narrative (of course it is even more mysterious how he ever managed to get into Eton and Oxford although the books are silent whether he ever received a degree).

In the 1930's? Money, and being upper class would get him into Eton no matter how thick he was. Money, being upper class, and possibly the services of a good crammer, would have a good chance of getting him into one of the less fussy Oxford colleges also.

While Jeeves and Wooster are impossible to date and the interbellum period fits fine I think Wodehouse was more familiar with (and a lot of his scenarios rather reflect) the public school and university mores around 1900-1910 than 1920s and 30s. But your point would probably apply in exactly the same way to this earlier period. (Wodehouse was born in 1881 and despite being an excellent student could not afford university.)

In any case, it is a running gag that Bertie is not very bright (although smarter than many of his pals who have nicknames like "Barmy"), his knowledge of e.g. French or Latin seems extremely rudimentary (if there is any at all - usually Jeeves has to help out with difficult words) and he remembers lines from poems as "something something something sword" but it is still mentioned that he was at Eton (I think, or a similarly famous school) and Oxford (although no college is mentioned).

There are only two plots: a man goes on a journey or a stranger comes to town.  Mostly attributed to John Gardner, but sometimes Tolstoy or even Dostoyevsky get credit for it.

I'm always surprised by the relatively narrow range of plots and outcomes in most published literature.  We seem to reject nearly all of those that don't follow certain expected conventions of what is "right" in a story.  Most variations are minor, never the fundamental archetypes of character or journey/conflict.

Archived